• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Super Soakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

So I was shopping for Xmas presents yesterday and I really wanted to get my daughter a little super soaker. I found them and apart from the fact they're all branded Nerf Super Soakers now I couldn't find any like the old pressurised ones?

You either get shitty "pump the barrel back" to shoot a single shot (no trigger) or electronic battery operated ones.

Do they not make the pressurised pump ones with a trigger any more?

Takao

Banned
Hasbro likely does, but as it is the winter season I imagine most stores are carrying a very limited stock of items traditionally used in the summer.

edit: Oh you live in Australia. I dunno then, maybe Australia gets the shaft regarding toys as well, lol.

Bgamer90

Banned
They are still around. Its just that the guns got rebranded to be in the "Nerf" line of products. The brand got a new logo, new gun designs, etc. The current designs are more in line with cheap kids toys; the guns aren't as unique (or as good) as they were before.

They don't advertise them much either (and they wouldn't advertise them right now since it's out of season obviously). The current guns look like typical water guns when it comes to design; they don't stand out as much as the old guns did.

they went to shit like everything else in this godforsaken world

TGQac.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
I remember they used to do one with a backpack you could fill with water. It looked fucking awesome.

Yeah, my friend had the Super Soaker Monster XL. That thing could kill someone ...so much water pressure lol.

It was so big and held so much water that it needed to be used with a stand.

Augustus

Banned
I remember they used to do one with a backpack you could fill with water. It looked fucking awesome.

Shit, that brings back memories. Me and my brother used to have Super Soaker wars with our friend over the road. He was an only child so always got the expensive shit, and had one of those backpack ones, and me and my older brother had these little piss ant supersoakers lol, so we always used to gang up on him and steal his backpack one haha.

KissVibes

Banned

Those are still made, just not by Hasbro.

Edit: I think I still might have the Super Soaker SS 300. I remember when my friends and I were going to turn that into a flame thrower.

yea i used to love them as a kid, in the early 90s.. good memories. no idea what the deal with them is nowadays.

interesting thing about Super Soaker is that it was a Nasa engineer who invented it as a little side project, and of course made him into a multi-millionaire.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man, I miss Super Soakers. It was such a great thing to grow up with, going from straight pump action to weird things like 3 way firing and then the little cheat stations where you could shove the barrel of the gun into an attachment on the hose and fill the gun up in seconds plus get a pressurized first shot for quick re-entry to battle. Dual wielding them fuckers into battle, having the bigger guys with the giant guns like Zomaha's example down there...

I got pretty depressed when I last walked into a store around summer time and went looking for super soakers, only to find cheap knockoffs that were fucking motorized.

WETTER IS BETTER!

Riposte

Envying and trying to get the most badass Super Soaker was like the precursor to bad ass loot in game or something.

Oppo

Fuck that backpack shit.
OG Soaker for me.

FRbyu.jpg

This one was compatible with the threading on a standard garden hose.

Discovering that was like finding a special power up in real life.
pow, right in the nostalgia. my friend had one of these, the envy of the neighborhood:

cp20002guns.jpg

Had one of these too. Used to use it to knock raccoons off the roof of the back garage on garbage night. Thing had a shoulder strap and a psi gauge. Good stuff.

krae_man

I had one like that as a kid. Only it was slightly different, it didn't have any air pressure. It was one of those water guns that was like a syringe(ie you pulled it apart and water from the backpack filled the chamber).

It had a really thick stream and completely drenched everyone it hit. Everyone told me it felt like a hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom