• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to the ejecting bullet casings in games ?

abracadaver

casesv8urd.jpg

Why dont we see proper bullet casings/shotgun shells in games?
They dont drop on the ground anymore. They dont make any sounds. They just dissappear.

10 years ago most games had it.
Half-Life 1 & 2
Counter-Strike
Unreal Tournament (in UT2003/UT2004 it was removed)

Best one I know:
Red Orchestra. It even had different sounds depending on if the shell landed on wood/steel/stone.

Why dont we see this in games anymore ?? I love the sound effect. It makes the shooting much more satisfying. Are there any current gen games with bouncing bullet casings ??

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Killzone 2&3 have it. They even have different types of sound effects for the casings hitting different surfaces. Max Payne 3 looks like it's going to have some great case ejecting stuff too.

I'm pretty sure most of the best current shooters have this in there.

I'm pretty sure the Modern Warfare games have it.

dc89

MGS4 has a good example of this. I like how when you reload with a round still in the chamber he manually ejects that round. Then when you get your scope out and zoom in, you actually see a live round.

I love attention to detail like that.

Kazzy

MGS4 has a good example of this. I like how when you reload with a round still in the chamber he manually ejects that round. Then when you get your scope out and zoom in, you actually see a live round.

Well to be fair they have to keep those details in, especially after spending entire cut-scenes accurately describing the production history of a particular gun.

Alternatively, you could not manually eject it for no reason, and end up with the +1.

Best part of MGS4 is actually its detail with weapons and its mods.

They drop to the ground in Gears of War. Iirc, it's both shell casings and the clips that fall to the ground. They don't make a sound though.

abracadaver

Sorry Im not talking about the shells ejecting from the gun. Every game has this.

Im talking about the shells hitting the ground and making a sound. Bouncing around etc.
Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare do not have this. The shells just dissappear. They make no sound at all.

Edit: in gears of war the shells dissapear as well. You can see them falling into the ground when you aim at the floor. The empty magazines do fall on the ground(without a sound though)
The sniper makes the sound of a shell hitting the groung after shooting but thats just part of the sound effect. There is no actual shell.

eshwaaz

When shell casings make no sound when hitting the ground it drives me crazy. It's such a notable part of the aural experience of firing a real weapon. Plus, it really kills the sense of physicality.

Sorry Im not talking about the shells ejecting from the gun. Every game has this.

Im talking about the shells hitting the ground and making a sound. Bouncing around etc.
Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare do not have this. The shells just dissappear. They make no sound at all.

Edit: in gears of war the shells dissapear as well. You can see them falling into the ground when you aim at the floor. The empty magazines do fall on the ground(without a sound though)
The sniper makes the sound of a shell hitting the groung after shooting but thats just part of the sound effect. There is no actual shell.

I'm pretty sure that BF3 has a sound effect for the casings. They may not actually bounce around, but is that really such a big deal? I'd say that the sound fx is more important, because you're not going to look around for bullet casings unless you want to get killed.

Haunted

Not enough Ram to have shell casings lying around on the floor as actual objects, taking up computing power.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devs finally realized that it's a novelty that really doesn't mean as much to consumers at large as they thought it did. And they were right.

Seeing the aftermath of a great cs battle. With all the bullet holes still in the walls and all the spent casing still there. so good.

Anyone ever notice that in Far Cry 2, all the guns have their ejection ports on the left side instead of the right? Very strange.

This is why CS had the gun model on the left side of the screen.

Early versions of CS had the player character using correctly modeled weapons left-handed. Later on, they added the option to switch to right-handed mode, but to achieve this, they simply mirrored the first person view. So now, all the weapons are back-to-front. CS:S retains the option to switch back to left-handed mode with correctly modeled weapons.

The Far Cry 2 devs thought CS models with the ports on the left looked better, so they did that as a deliberate design choice.

abracadaver

The old resident evil games had this. Was way cool shooting the pistol in resident evil 1 and seeing and hearing the bullet casing bounce around. I think resident evil 4 still has it. resident evil 5 didnt I believe. Cant check though because I dont have the game anymore.

Max payne 1 & 2 had this as well. I fear the shells in max payne 3 will just dissappear. I hope not

AlexBasch

I just started to play Half Life yesterday (this might cost me my GAF membership, I'm aware) and yes, I was crouched and shooting the assault rifle and noticing that the bullet cases were falling next to me. Good detail I thought. Then I remembered the game is from 1998. Huh.

ibkLFKlpESjQ4H.gif

Just wanted an excuse to post this beauty.
The old resident evil games had this. Was way cool shooting the pistol in resident evil 1 and seeing and hearing the bullet casing bounce around. I think resident evil 4 still has it. resident evil 5 didnt I believe. Cant check though because I dont have the game anymore.
Thank you for helping me remember which game I was trying to remember, the sound of the casings hitting the floor in RE3 is forever burned into my mind. I love it.

I just started to play Half Life yesterday (this might cost me my GAF membership, I'm aware) and yes, I was crouched and shooting the assault rifle and noticing that the bullet cases were falling next to me. Good detail I thought. Then I remembered the game is from 1998. Huh.
Good for you, you are playing my favorite Valve game to date. Hope you're enjoying it.

feel

Halo: Combat Evolved has casings that would roll down hills a bit.
Yesterday while helping a friend get some achievements on Anniversary edition I stopped next to a wall and unloaded the full clip of the assault rifle just to see the casings bounce against the wall and then hit and roll on the floor in the opposite direction. So damn good.

Early versions of CS had the player character using correctly modeled weapons left-handed. Later on, they added the option to switch to right-handed mode, but to achieve this, they simply mirrored the first person view. So now, all the weapons are back-to-front. CS:S retains the option to switch back to left-handed mode with correctly modeled weapons.

The Far Cry 2 devs thought CS models with the ports on the left looked better, so they did that as a deliberate design choice.

This is what we did for TWINE & Nightfire.
Additionally, I did originally write the Nightfire bullet casings so they'd collide with the world, but it took too much CPU time. I expect a lot of other games do the same (Half-Life era games had much simpler collision geometry than current games).

Top Bottom