• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Microsoft has still Bungie and Destiny as exclusive game ?

Sanpei

One big business decision mistake....

I dont know what happened between them...
I dont know who was responsible for this separation...(Don ?)

I know one thing for sure and it's a huge mistake...

If they still had Bungie and let them develop Destiny as exclusive on their console, they might even win this console war...

If Halo was the problem, they could still give it to 343i and Bungie could help them during development...

Xbox One would have Halo (working better) and Destiny on its hands...

Why Bungie left Microsoft ?

Was it 500$ million budget for a game ? Anyone has any idea about what happened ?

maneil99

Everything you asked can be found in Google. Bungie wanted freedom to create what they wanted, Microsoft didn't want to risk it. So now we get a mediocre game from Bungie and a shit one from Microsoft

jetsetrez

The funny thing is, if you go back to those court documents that had to be released due to the Respawn/Infinity Ward stuff, Destiny WAS originally intending to be 360/720 exclusive, with a planned PS3 release to come later. Also, MS had first right of refusal for Bungie.

THAT is what I'd really like to know the answer of; how did that change into what we got?

heyitsphil

Neo Member
Don't understand why people really think this is the reason.

why not? bungie made nothing but halo for nearly a decade. they wanted to branch out and MSFT thought it was too risky for the amount of money they were asking for. destiny sold very well and made a lot of money, but the game itself is mediocre and repetitive all you gotta do is look at the metacritic score. they made good money but the game was trash and expectations were set far too high early on, maybe MS realized this that's why they made the seperation?

One big business decision mistake....

I dont know what happened between them...
I dont know who was responsible for this separation...(Don ?)

I know one thing for sure and it's a huge mistake...

If they still had Bungie and let them develop Destiny as exclusive on their console, they might even win this console war...

If Halo was the problem, they could still give it to 343i and Bungie could help them during development...

Xbox One would have Halo (working better) and Destiny on its hands...

Why Bungie left Microsoft ?

Was it 500$ million budget for a game ? Anyone has any idea about what happened ?

I dunno mate, I think you are giving Destiny a bit too much credit there. Single handedly winning a gen are some damn tall boots to climb into.

Anyway, if it was MS exclusive?
Less platforms of release, maybe 360+X1+PC? Less sales.
Eh, PC version later probably.

I highly doubt 500 mill would have been invested, likely tighter deadline with more MS weigh-in. Whether you think that is for better or worse is your call.
Bit more serious/gritty, less similarity to Halo in any shape way or form. More emphasis on the MMO aspects/ideals. Less grand of a scope I'd say.

/speculation out of my ass.

I think you're overestimating the power of Destiny.

Yeah, kinda like how people were expecting the same out of titanfall.
I don't play Destiny, but Titanfall is, according to most posters here, a mostly dead game online, and it has been dead for most of its lifespan. Destiny is huge and a ton of people play it. I am a high school teacher, and I hear kids talk about Destiny more than any other title these days. Even more than Mine craft, which is really saying something about mindshare.

scoobs

Destiny wouldnt be half the sales success that it currently is if it was only on xbox. Would have cost Microsoft hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the exclusivity, not worth it for either party.

RBK

Banned
why not? bungie made nothing but halo for nearly a decade. they wanted to branch out and MSFT thought it was too risky for the amount of money they were asking for. destiny sold very well and made a lot of money, but the game itself is mediocre and repetitive all you gotta do is look at the metacritic score. they made good money but the game was trash and expectations were set far too high early on, maybe MS realized this that's why they made the seperation?

I took more as they wanted to expand instead of being a first party developer.

They knew taking Halo with them wasn't going to happen.

Nestunt

as much as I dislike everything that game is and represents

it would have been a great business decision because good shooting and marketing is something the mobs adore

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I thought about this once, and I dont think Destiny woud've set the world on fire as it did as an exclusive. If it were only on Xbox I think only Halo players would have even tried it.

Sanpei

Destiny wouldn't have been made if Bungie was still owned by MS.

Why ?

MS could allow them and give Halo to 343i...Bungie could help 343i for Halo by developing their new game, Destiny...

I am sure MS would make good money and had advantage on this gen war..Maybe it wouldnt be 500$ million because of one platform..It's exaggerated

Destiny will cost to players nearly 120-150$ with all addons and dlcs...This is lots of money for a game...As if you pay monthly fee :D

RBK

Banned
I thought about this once, and I dont think Destiny woud've set the world on fire as it did as an exclusive. If it were only on Xbox I think only Halo players would have even tried it.

Pretty much.

A lot of the hype came from Bungie making the jump back to PlayStation.

They would have spent 500 million on a bad game.

Yeah better to blow like 30 million on good games made badly :)

I don't think they would have allowed for the new IP, if they had kept Bungie they would not have formed 343i most likely and Bungie would have probably had people leave and make Destiny in a new studio. Another Respawn situation.

Sanpei

hmm, this makes sense..You may be right...

MINECRAFT...This is a very good business move...Microsoft may make more profit from this IP than Activision's Destiny...

danm999

I don't play Destiny, but Titanfall is, according to most posters here, a mostly dead game online, and it has been dead for most of its lifespan. Destiny is huge and a ton of people play it. I am a high school teacher, and I hear kids talk about Destiny more than any other title these days. Even more than Mine craft, which is really saying something about mindshare.

If it were only on the One, it likely wouldn't be as successful as it has been on four platforms.

Part of the reason Destiny is so financially successful is that it's pretty available.

Mohonky

You get tired after 10 years of one series, which is why you commit to 10 years of another one.

I laughed when Destiny was announced. "We're leaving because we want to do something fresh, we want to be free to do our own thing" a few weeks later, signs up to Activision for 10yrs of Destiny. lol.

Getting Bungie was probably the best thing MGS ever did, and letting Bungie go was probably their biggest mistake. They should have just let them make a new game after Halo 3, and form 343 anyway to look after Halo while Bungie prototyped other ideas. Heck, look at the difference between how Sony handles Naughty Dog and how MS handled Bungie - in order to prevent senior staff from ND leaving Sony allowed them to start work on a second project in secret, and they end up with The Last of Us which has probably sold over 8 million copies to date. MS really should have taken a similar attitude and allowed Bungie explore things that weren't Halo, then maybe they'd have Halo, Bungie and another tremendously successful new brand as well.

I laughed when Destiny was announced. "We're leaving because we want to do something fresh, we want to be free to do our own thing" a few weeks later, signs up to Activision for 10yrs of Destiny. lol.

Activision had money to give, they are one of the biggest publishers available... seems like the smart decision to go where you can have a guaranteed investment in your property.

Mista

Banned
One hell of a good question. First of all, its obvious that Bungie wanted a new challenge apart from Halo + They wanted to make their own IP since Halo 3. Obviously Microsoft lost one hell of a team, a team that made the best FPS ever (my opinion) and of they still have Bungie, Halo: MCC wouldn't have looked rubbish and broken as hell. At the end its Bungie > 343 by waaaaaay far

Bungie : We need 500 million dollar to develop our new IP.

Microsoft : Fuck off.

And this.

barit

Bungie : We need 500 million dollar to develop our new IP.

Microsoft : Fuck off.

MS won't spend 500m on their most successful first party team but is willing to pay 2.5b for Minecraft? Bwuahaha that MS logic (I know this is not what happend but still ridiculous)

Mista

Banned
MS won't spend 500m on their most successful first party team but is willing to pay 2.5b for Minecraft? Bwuahaha that MS logic (I know this is not what happend but still ridiculous)

Think of it, Minecraft fanbase is way bigger than Halo. For gods sake the game has 998,000 logging in EVERYDAY. I can see Minecraft bringing them profit more than Halo. Even though I dont like it but yeah, huge fanbase = huge profit. We might see it stupid for real but profit wise? Hell no.

Mohonky

Activision had money to give, they are one of the biggest publishers available... seems like the smart decision to go where you can have a guaranteed investment in your property.

Of course, but we're talkng about how Bungie cited creative freedoms as a reason to move on from Microsoft, then promptly locked themselves into pretty much exactly the same scenario.

ShamePain

Banned
Of course, but we're talkng about how Bungie cited creative freedoms as a reason to move on from Microsoft, then promptly locked themselves into pretty much exactly the same scenario.

We've been making Halo for 10 years, it's time for us to go away and make a garbage halo clone for another 10 years.

Peterpan

Getting Bungie was probably the best thing MGS ever did, and letting Bungie go was probably their biggest mistake. They should have just let them make a new game after Halo 3, and form 343 anyway to look after Halo while Bungie prototyped other ideas. Heck, look at the difference between how Sony handles Naughty Dog and how MS handled Bungie - in order to prevent senior staff from ND leaving Sony allowed them to start work on a second project in secret, and they end up with The Last of Us which has probably sold over 8 million copies to date. MS really should have taken a similar attitude and allowed Bungie explore things that weren't Halo, then maybe they'd have Halo, Bungie and another tremendously successful new brand as well.
Nope Bungie wanted freedom. Honestly whether Halo was a fluke is still to be seen. Myth was great and everything in between, even though enjoying them a lot myself was average. You can enjoy Destiny, but no way is it on the same level as Halo quality wise and mechanics wise. I think this is one choice I can agree with Microsoft with, before Destiny came out not so much.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If Destiny was exclusive to Microsoft, they'd be even more of a joke by allowing Bungie ot make such a terrible game instead of Halo.

Didn't MS have the right of first refusal on Destiny.

I'm almost sure that MS had the option to have exclusivity (maybe timed) if they choose to, as part of the separation.

fedexpeon

Banned
Nope Bungie wanted freedom. Honestly whether Halo was a fluke is still to be seen. Myth was great and everything in between, even though enjoying them a lot myself was average. You can enjoy Destiny, but no way is it on the same level as Halo quality wise and mechanics wise. I think this is one choice I can agree with Microsoft with, before Destiny came out not so much.

They wanted freedom...and they still went and made a Halo clone.
Halo series is definitely a fluke.

But the writing has remained consistent between Halo and Destiny though, Bungie still sucks at it.

Endo Punk

I am guessing when Bungie proposed Destiny to MS they didn't think it was right to have another sci fi shooter when they already have the successful Halo so Bungie wanted out.

They wanted freedom...and they still went and made a Halo clone.
am guessing when Bungie proposed Destiny to MS they didn't think it was right to have another sci fi shooter when they already have the successful Halo so Bungie wanted out.Halo series is definitely a fluke.

But the writing has remained consistent between Halo and Destiny though, Bungie still sucks at it.

Hey at least Bungie excel in gameplay which matters the most.

Heck, look at the difference between how Sony handles Naughty Dog and how MS handled Bungie - in order to prevent senior staff from ND leaving Sony allowed them to start work on a second project in secret, and they end up with The Last of Us which has probably sold over 8 million copies to date. MS really should have taken a similar attitude and allowed Bungie explore things that weren't Halo, then maybe they'd have Halo, Bungie and another tremendously successful new brand as well.

A lot of senior staff left ND most notably Amy Hennig just last year.

Destiny is garbage. I don't think having it exclusive to either console would have done much beyond this year. You can only dupe people once hopefully.

If anyone should regret the separation its Bungie. What a drop off.

Rurunaki

Destiny is garbage. I don't think having it exclusive to either console would have done much beyond this year. You can only dupe people once hopefully.

If anyone should regret the separation its Bungie. What a drop off.

I'm sure Bungie is regretting all the money they got from Destiny. As much hate as Destiny gets here in GAF, it has become one of the most profitable new IP Bungie/Activision has produced.

They'd have two mediocre first person shooters in their first party library?

Bungie continuing to work on Halo after Reach is simply unthinkable. I have no doubt in my mind that they would have done a much worse job of Halo 4 thn 343 did...

knitoe

Bungle got tired of making space marines FPS. I am glad they were able to break away and make something different with Destiny...

They sucker me into paying $99, good.

Top Bottom