• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you could only play local multiplayer games

Would you sacrifice sp and online mp for infinite local mp opportunities?

• Yes, I would accept this wager.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No, I would reject this infernal bargain.

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
But you had friends and family around to play when you wanted to. In other words, you would always have someone available to play local multiplayer, but you'd never be allowed to play single-player or online multiplayer. Would you accept this devil's wager?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Teufelspakt_Faust-Mephisto_Julius_Nisle.jpg

Petrae

Hell no. I reject everything multiplayer. Video gaming is a 99% solo activity for me; it’s my escape from interacting with people, which I find to be incredibly stressful and exhausting.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
95 percent of my playtime is online, and even with my girlfriend, so I'd say no.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got a buddy that only plays local multiplayer games. Overcooked, Jackbox Games, etc.

He's a weirdo.

Caffeine

my xbox live ran out a month ago thats basically all i've been doing on console, on pc I have online though.

It would be difficult to play 2 player with only two hands to use both controllers.

Most of my so-called friends ghosted me after I stopped throwing parties that had their fair share of top shelf liquor. The 8 or so actual real friends that I still hang out with occasionally have things to tend to like their good kids or needy and overbearing wives.

dalekjay

If you play fighting games, online it’s just a shell of what it should be, even the most advanced FG are lackluster

Shagger

Banned
I think ultimately what people want is choice. I barely play online anymore, but still want the option if the right game comes along.

anthraticus

Banned
Ehhh...the few friends I do have that play games, I had to leave in the dust (when it comes to gaming....we're still friends) because they just play modern mainstream/AAA junk only.

Suffice to say, games never even come up in our discussions any more.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Hell no. I reject everything multiplayer. Video gaming is a 99% solo activity for me; it’s my escape from interacting with people, which I find to be incredibly stressful and exhausting.

Agree with this. Including the interacting with people opinion. It is fucking exhausting.

#miller

Well - but to read more between the lines or way too much into this devil's wager:
Would the decision to only be able to play local multiplayer games keep them alive and happy? :) "But you had friends and family around to play when you wanted to"

Or this ends up as a black mirror episode.
black-mirror-season-4-netflix-uss-callister-1.jpg

Last edited:
Gaming is a stress reliever for me and 99% of my game time is still spent in multiplayer. Those who think that you have to interact with others simply because it is multiplayer may need to spend a little more time in multiplayer. Though I get people who just enjoy single player games and want to avoid the stress that comes with multiplayer competition. To be honest there is very little socializing in matchmaking unless you purposely party up with others. I love Halo CE. That was my LAN go-to after spending countless hours with friends on the N64 playing GoldenEye, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. However, when Xbox live arrived, playing online just blew everything else out or the water.

Playing against new competition every day keeps things fresh. A computer you learn its tricks and play style once and then it's the same thing over and over again. Playing against real people where they are creative, spontaneous, and clever, provides that thirst to come back and keep competing, at least for me. So I was sad when Halo 2 came out because it did away with a lot of LANs, but at the same time I couldn't put down the matchmaking on Xbox live. It was just too good.

So yeah I'd choose multiplayer over single player/LANs any day. Infinite replay value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom