• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

Bluth54

What I find to be truly amusing, is how everyone seems to rather electively forget that Nintendo more than likely already has a new handheld in development, set to exist alongside their hybrid; probably another console as well. The Switch might be a third pillar, or it might be a stop-gap, but regardless, it is definitely an interesting experiment. God bless Nintendo - they continue to willfully take hits for the advancement of the hobby. Were that most fans were worthy.

I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to have a separate handheld only device. The Switch lets them do both in one system and have a single software library so their game library isn't split between 2 systems.

I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to have a separate handheld only device. The Switch lets them do both in one system and have a single software library so their game library isn't split between 2 systems.

I'm afraid you took the bait. And this constant derailing is a pretty good example of why trolling is bannable on GAF.

Nintendo wants it to happen. It doesn't mean it has to happen. They gotta let it go. 2018 going into 2019 with the thing still being supported is nuts.
They should be moving development over to switch full time. That's the console that has a longer future.
There is no real evidence that there is significant development going on for 3DS atm. All of the currently announced 3DS lineup fit into one of three categories:
1. Localizations of already released Japanese games. Stuff like MH: Stories, Miitopia, Culdcept Revolt, Etrian Odyssey V. Most of which aren't even done by Nintendo themselves.
2. Games made by small 3rd party developers funded by Nintendo. This is stuff like Hey! Pikmin, Ever Oasis, Samus Returns, and Mario & Luigi SS, all games developed by small external teams using Nintendo IP and (likely) modest funding. Hell, two of these are remakes, not even fully original titles.
3. Releases and expanded versions of already released games. This is your Strange Journey Redux, your Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, your Pokemon Ultra and VC releases. Stuff that builds upon already released content, sure bet money makers that aren't huge investments.

None of these games represent significant development focus from any of Nintendo's core teams. The biggest 3DS game this year other than Pokemon is FE Echoes, which is also a remake. That alone should tell you that support for 3DS, while still chugging along, is not at all Nintendo's focus. I'm 100% certain that after Echoes and Ultra S/M, all of Nintendo's large, well known development groups are completely done with 3DS. They already let go.

Venfayth

Hopefully nothing.

Any game that comes out on the 3DS I would prefer to have on the Switch.

I typed out a big rant about how disappointing the 3DS is (the hardware, not the software) but I decided to delete it and just leave this blurb instead.

Now that I have a switch I hope nothing. The resolution is just too low on 3ds.

Yup, this is a massive part of it for me.

hzsn724

F-zero

As much as I'd prefer one on switch. It would be cheaper to develop and less of a risk for Nintendo just to gauge how viable the series still is. Also having one in 3D would be awesome.

Came here to post that. Couldn't agree with you more. I'd buy it day 1.

Top Bottom