• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a piece of technology that a friend hyped up but ended up failing?

Mondai

A former friend used to tell me at the time that Windows Phones were going to be the future of smartphones and were going to destroy Iphones....

A family member was hyping up NFTs and the wonders of the blockchain, and bragged on multiple occasions about their attempt at a startup trying to sell NFTs and tie them to real estate. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the only people pushing NFTs are looking to scam someone....

Anyway, the NFT market has collapsed since then and he stopped talking about it.

Last edited:
A family member was hyping up NFTs and the wonders of the blockchain, and bragged on multiple occasions about their attempt at a startup trying to sell NFTs and tie them to real estate. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the only people pushing NFTs are looking to scam someone....

Anyway, the NFT market has collapsed since then and he stopped talking about it.
I was out at dinner with some people and NFTs came up and I said how it was a scam and the guy got really defensive. Apparently he’d dumped all his money into then and lost it and had to move home with his mother… oops!

Dutchy

Did it finally? Thank god.

Worked as a freelance animator/cinematographer for a bunch of NFT companies. And out of the 100 or so jobs that I've done, they were the only ones having troubles paying up, or paid me way waaaay later than expected. Absolute scummy people.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
PS TV

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Trunx81

Not a friend, but my dad. My family was pretty late in the PC business. I grew up with the C64 and my dad had an Atari ST for work. So no need for Windows. All of my friends had their 486DX, of course, so I was the only one stuck a generation behind. Then CD-Rom happened. And my dad was pretty impressed (like all of us) by the possibilities. So what did he research? The Phillips CD-i. He even bought some issues of the official CD-i magazine (yes, this was a thing),

Thank god he decided against it. After the CD-i, he was interested in an Olivetti computer that you could connect to the TV. A glorious 75mhz Pentium.

After hours of convincing (and a visit at the neighbors house who had the first internet connection), he gave in and bought a brand new Pentium 133mhz with incredible 4GB hard-drive! Finally my dreams of gaming would come true!

… and then he decided to have it run Win3.11 and NT. No win95 for me .. 😫

Laptop1991

I remember Betamax as a kid and it failed even though it was better, quality, Betamax wouldn't let you record with it at first, a few friends were saying how good it was, but not for long.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The PlayStation portable is going to kill off the DS… ok so the vita is going to decimate the 3DS

High School No GIF

To be fair the vita looked like a tasty bit of kit.

Last edited:

Durien

A former friend used to tell me at the time that Windows Phones were going to be the future of smartphones and were going to destroy Iphones....
Thanks for reminding me. ;) I worked on the WinMo phone. Funny how the devs expect to do well as they buy and use the competitor phones. F'ing drove me nuts...me to one dev noticing they bought an Iphone, "You know, if you buy the competitor's product, you are putting us out of a job..." "That won't happen.." I hope he puts that on his grave...

SpiceRacz

My uncle's neighbor had a LaserDisc player and swore by the thing. He had it hooked up to a high quality stereo system on a high-end rear projection TV. The visuals and audio blew VHS out of the water. It felt like a theater quality experience at home. Super impressive tech for the time, but never really caught on and was dead once DVDs hit the market.

KrakenIPA

Great question! When PS Home started my bro hyped it up big time. I was sceptical at first but it turned out to be kinda cool, so I became a believer as well. I don't think it exists anymore. Exploring the lobby space back then was quite a scene har!

Pejo

I had a cinemafile friend that wouldn't shut up about how Laserdiscs were better in every way than DVDs.

I had a windows phone for a while. It was pretty solid but I got sick of having no apps made for it 😂
I loved Windows Phone OS, but yea, the app support was a death knell for the platform. They were working on that compatibility layer that would allow Android apps to run natively on Windows Phone OS, but they never released it. Probably had lots of security issues and problems that they didn't want to spend money on by that point.

Last edited:
Windows phones got screwed over by app makers.

The OS at the time was actually much faster than their competitors. Their phone build quality matched the best of Zune. Most of their cameras were way above the others in quality at the time because they teamed up with Zeiss. The marketing and connectivity with windows was great.

It was a damn shame about the app support.

thefool

Check the biggest asset manager in the world predicting everything will be tokenized.

9 days ago btw.

Last edited:

The OS at the time was actually much faster than their competitors. Their phone build quality matched the best of Zune. Most of their cameras were way above the others in quality at the time because they teamed up with Zeiss. The marketing and connectivity with windows was great.

Yeah, even something as simple as the stock messaging app was significantly better than the competition at the time.

The lack of third party apps though was infuriating. In retrospect Microsoft should have straight up paid to start porting popular apps because if they did they might still be a competitor.

hyperbertha

Llms like chatgpt. I used to think these were intelligent. Turned out to be mere token predictors, and inevitably these will hit a wall in terms of economic viability or use.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Most people end up being wrong on a long enough timescale.
Friend said MP3 players were the future over minidisc - even though the mp3 players at the time topped out at maybe 128MB. He was right for awhile but then wrong.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I went to a concert a while ago and a friend of a friend showed up with a Google Glass. This was the same time when people were talking about it like it was basically going to be the end of civilization. Well, the stupid thing was ridiculous and ugly and I knew it was DOA once I actually saw one. And while I know the tech lives on, sort of, with stuff like the Meta glasses, Google got out of it pretty quick.

If you want to re-litigate, there were two issues, one general to all new platforms and one specific to WP. The first one is that devs don't want to invest in a platform until it has a decent installed base, and people don't want to buy a new platform until it has a decent amount of apps. The problem is at the time MS did not have anything to break that logjam at the time.

The other problem was that WP was fast yea and had great UI design and was very striking to look at, but the design guidelines were much stricter than competing platforms. If you put an app on the platform you had to do it in Metro. That's fine for many but if you are Facebook or Instagram or whatever and invested tens of millions if not hundreds of millions in your brand and look, you're not going to blow that up and redesign your app to look like Microsoft for a tiny platform with a limited installed base.

Last edited:
Top Bottom