• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is error code E71 - Xbox 360 RROD ?

bill0527

I know we've got a thread for this around here but I'm getting nothing but errors when I try to search for it.

My launch 360 unit has just died for the 2nd time. My last repair was in February '07, so its been a while. I got one of those Forza 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance combo discs today and was trying out Forza 2. It told me that the game has a required update so I downloaded it. I started the game, ran the first race fine, got to the 2nd race and everything locked up. I rebooted and had 3 RROD. I rebooted again, same thing. I took the hard drive off, and it booted up fine but my controller would not work. I called Xbox tech support and tried to boot it up again while I had them on the phone and I got 1 Red Ring in the lower right corner and an error message that said E71.

I can't find anything at all out there about error code E71, except that it may be related to a borked firmware update to your 360. I've been running the latest 360 update since the day it came out months ago and have had no problems. I'm wondering if the Forza update might have screwed up my system somehow. Does anyone know anything else about this Error 71 or what I might be able to do to try and fix it?

Treo360

Isn't it a dead scaler?

Edit: Never mind that's E74

E45: Unknown (possibly dashboard update related)

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Voltage Error... This error means that the Xbox 360 has insufficent power to function properly. This can be caused by an error in the hard drive or the fans that make them suck up too much power, it can also be caused if you have unnecessary accessories attached to the console like an external fan unit. Attempt to remove unnecessary accessories first, and then necessary components such as the hard drive and USB devices. If you have any case mods you may want to investigate those as well.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

E72: (not yet known)

E73: General Hardware Error: Ethernet port... this error is caused by a problem with the Ethernet port.

E74: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement (see error 0102)

E76: This error deals with the Ethernet port's controller chip, a dead chip may not cause the error but removing the Ethernet controller chip does, it may also be caused by other Ethernet related problems.

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it.
According to tmbinc: E79 is the error code if xam.xex could not be started, i.e. probably a file system corruption.

bill0527

^^^^^

Thanks for that list. I looked in a few other places and it appears that the E71 error happens when some type of update goes wrong - whether it be a game update, or firmware update. The Forza 2 update when I first put the game in my system today has apparently killed it.

I bought a 2 year warranty on my launch unit directly from Microsoft and they sent me a letter extending it out an additional 3 years because of all the problems. The tech rep told me that I need to find a box to ship it in, but I had to happily inform her that I was holding my service contract in my hand and it explicitly states that Microsoft will provide a return shipping box. She said it'll be here in 3-5 days.

Top Bottom