• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What is rioting and looting accomplishing? Anarchy changes nothing!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

Funny to see all these people, all safe in their homes, having the priveliege of not getting shot by police every couple weeks or so telling other people not to get angry about it.

Motherfucker even if you do support the people getting angry you can't expect him to do it in a controlled manner. You know what the fuck pure rage is? Pure rage coming from a life long of being treated like shit by authorities. Where your life is worth absolutely nothing. Fuck me you have no idea about it and now you want people to be controlled and shit.

Light shit up Baltimore, I hope this becomes one hell of an uprising.
Yep. I cannot fathom the rage that's been building up through generations and culminates collectively through a large group of people. I mean every little stare, under the breath comment, to being rejected for education, jobs, careers and all the way to being robbed of your dignity and your life all added together from many families and communities. And when it all boils over, I expect much, much worse than some shops being looted and a couple cars getting burned.

way more

No, that's not what my analogy said there. Although I have to admit your misinterpretations are beginning to be super entertaining.

Firstly, in my analogy you tried the 1-in-2 (nonviolent) chance solutions. That's why this is the only option left. If they had worked, you wouldn't have turned to the solution with smaller odds. Much like people who see injustices existing for hundreds of years, eventually you begin to believe you must exercise alternative methods to fix your "cancer." If the "cancer" is bad enough, you'll try virtually any method if it offers some decent odds of solving the problem - even if there are negative side effects.

This is not a "supposition" that nonviolence doesn't work. It works 53% of the time, according to the study. So that means it fails the rest of the time. By definition that means nearly 50% of the time you're going to need to find another solution. If children are being murdered and no justice is being dealt for hundrends of years, guess what? They're going to try those other options. That's not a moral statement, which it's clear by your comical emotional overreactions that you keep believing this is. It just is a statement of reality. You don't have to like it, but you have to accept that it works sometimes and you have to deal with it that this is the natural result of people being ignored no matter what methods they tried for decades at a time.

That's seems awfully linear to assume if 50% solution doesn't work people then try the 25% solution, and it's even more narrow to combine "social change" into a binary choice between non-violent means and violent ones. We have to accept that there is only two choices and one leads directly to the other.

If this is the model you use to understand how history is made,

300px-Geom_lines_axiom_2.png

then your argument works.

Amir0x

Banned
That's seems awfully linear to assume if 50% solution doesn't work people then try the 25% solution, and it's even more narrow to combine "social change" into a binary choice between non-violent means and violent ones. We have to accept that there is only two choices and one leads directly to the other.

If this is the model you use to understand how history is made,

300px-Geom_lines_axiom_2.png

then your argument works.

There are not only two choices. There is also a third choice, apathy. And your assertion is wrong - one does not always lead directly to the other. Sometimes one just starts by itself, without the other choices being involved at all. And sometimes those things work before the other is even brought into the equation. Edit: Am I reading this wrong? Were you trying to say that if my argument was correct, we'd have to say one leads into the other? In any event, my argument is as follows:

So yes, obviously, everything is more complex. Yet at the end of the day, some percentage of the time violent riots work, and some percentage of the time nonviolence works, and some percentage of the time they both work in tandem.

Once again, that's my only argument - that violent riots do work sometimes, that they do impact change sometimes, that we have to accept it's a natural evolution of years of injustice never being solved, and that they absolutely do not always obfuscate the message of the people involved. The only reason we went down the road of quoting specific numerical values was to simplify things for that poster because a study was posted showing that violence worked 26% of the time, and nonviolence 53% of the time.

There's no argument to be made otherwise - Stonewall galvanized the LGBTQ community and was the focal starting point for endless groups that eventually effected change. There's literally hundreds of organizations that sprang up as a result of that event and many of them went on to be directly responsible for social change. You want to talk about some nebulous alternative reality where "these things would have happened anyway" be my guest - but they didn't happen, and history cannot be rewritten to suggest they did. Thus, a violent riot had practical and real world benefits despite the fact that most people would be morally against a violent riot, myself included. At best you can make an argument that it was a combination of nonviolence and violence that resulted in where we are today.

Again, Stonewall did not change policy or views on gay rights. You can argue it galvanized the creation of more gay civil rights groups, fine. I'll continue to argue more would have been created regardless because civil rights movements tend to grow in the face of oppression.

Nobody was making an argument that all violent riots work. According to the study posted in this topic, 26% of violent riots end up impacting real social and legal change. Thus, if you exhaust other alternatives for decades, people inevitably will turn to violence because sometimes they work and sometimes there is just no patience for even one more day of murdered children. That's not rewriting history - that's facing the harsh reality of what history tells us even when its conclusion is something that isn't personally morally satisfying to us. That's a much more difficult thing to do.

Nobody is making any arguments that one should try violence before nonviolence. Nobody is making any moral arguments about how "good" violent riots are. We are making factual arguments about the indisputable reality that violent riots work sometimes, and they are often the last resort of desperate people who have been ignored for far too long by those in power. This problem has existed since this countries founding. Police have been at the center of enforcing every fucked up racist law that has ever existed in this country. That's a lot of fucking patience. If it makes you uncomfortable to face down the fact that this is going to happen time and time again when shit like this is allowed to continue for this length of time, I don't know what to tell you. Scream "grassroots" some more and perhaps reality will alter itself for you.

The fact remains that the VAST majority of riots don't change anything, period. Which is why I have pushed back against your thread, and the general tone in similar threads that any criticism of riots should be looked down upon. The people of Baltimore and most inner cities have every right to protest and march, and obviously violent riots are often a last resort borne of hopelessness - not greed or people wanting to burn things. I recognize that.

I did no suggest police brutality isn't an issue, nor do I need to lectured on it as a black guy from Detroit. This riot won't change a damn thing for good in Baltimore. The change that is required is largely socioeconomic, and not focused on police - but certainly police reform should also be perused. Neither will be fixed in a day or anytime soon. But progress cannot be made with people who are indifferent to the political process. These people have the power to take over much of their local governance - that doesn't just mean taking it back from corrupt white politicians, but also corrupt black politicians. And judges. And sheriffs. And school boards. There's a long list of actionable change that can happen. All of which is more effective than violent riots - most of whom do not change shit.

You've made it clear you have very little understanding of this issue yet want to rail on with the righteous indignation of a teenage RATM fan.

way more

So yes, obviously, everything is more complex. Yet at the end of the day, some percentage of the time violent riots work, and some percentage of the time nonviolence works, and some percentage of the time they both work in tandem.

It seems like you could update your premise to include the figures brought to light in this thread instead of just saying "some percentage."

YoungHav

Banned
Improved voter turnout would help put potentially good people in power. Ultimately down the line police will still avoid prison due to juries not caring for minority victims and worshipping police.

It seems like you could update your premise to include the figures brought to light in this thread instead of just saying "some percentage."

It's 1 study, he could include it but it doesn't change anything because the point is not about rioting being the "most" effective, it's about how it "can" be effective and how it comes about due to people feeling like their voices won't be heard. It could work 1% of the time and it wouldn't change the point being made. I find it nuts how this point is being actively combated. Riots have been the catalyst for change in many instances of history. The riot doesn't have to = policy change for it to play it's part in moving towards change. Even something as recent as ferguson can show that people's bottled up frustrations can lead to change. Without the events that transpired there the extreme corruption and racism running through that towns police and political systems and the blatant racism the residents received may never have been addressed.

Again, rioting is not positive but it happens for a reason and that reason should not be discredited just for the sake of some "property". How many MLK and JFK quotes have to posted just to make that extremely simple point. WE GET IT, ITS A POOR METHOD BUT WE SYMPATHIZE.

JaggedSac

For me, I see looting as a lost opportunity. The anger, the violence, the aggression should be focused on the people who represent the institution that has declared you to be bare life.

Yeah, they should loot police stations and prisons. Old school French style riots and violence. That might be a bit difficult in this age though.

Amir0x

Banned
Again, Stonewall did not change policy or views on gay rights. You can argue it galvanized the creation of more gay civil rights groups, fine. I'll continue to argue more would have been created regardless because civil rights movements tend to grow in the face of oppression.

They galvanized the movement and led directly to social change. Your argument is that in some fantasy alternative reality it would have happened anyway. Well, write your sci fi book about it so I can read it, it'd probably be rad. History is still history.

The fact remains that the VAST majority of riots don't change anything, period. Which is why I have pushed back against your thread, and the general tone in similar threads that any criticism of riots should be looked down upon. The people of Baltimore and most inner cities have every right to protest and march, and obviously violent riots are often a last resort borne of hopelessness - not greed or people wanting to burn things. I recognize that.

I did no suggest police brutality isn't an issue, nor do I need to lectured on it as a black guy from Detroit. This riot won't change a damn thing for good in Baltimore. The change that is required is largely socioeconomic, and not focused on police - but certainly police reform should also be perused. Neither will be fixed in a day or anytime soon. But progress cannot be made with people who are indifferent to the political process. These people have the power to take over much of their local governance - that doesn't just mean taking it back from corrupt white politicians, but also corrupt black politicians. And judges. And sheriffs. And school boards. There's a long list of actionable change that can happen. All of which is more effective than violent riots - most of whom do not change shit.

The problems in this country regarding minorities are socioeconomic as well. But fixing those issues would not change the problem we're dealing with right now regarding police. There's so many issues with the justice system that it needs to be torn down and completely reworked to erase the racist shit deeply engrained into its very marrow. Your idea of how soon it will be fixed or not is irrelevant to any point made in this topic. Your concept about voting is irrelevant to this discussion as well, because the reason so many people have become apathetic about voting is because that hasn't worked to fix the problems. We didn't start at 30% participation. Participation in elections have been going down every year, and that is because they have failed the people despite participation. What you're asking is that they retry this as an option. You're free to make that argument. And I'm here to tell you that it's no surprise few are willing to retry it, since the issues here are about mistrust in authority itself. If you believe authority is going to fucking kill you, why the hell would you vote again?

These riots are exactly the understandable natural results of what history in this country is. Advocate for these other methods, that's your right and I'm not even against it. This thread isn't a moral crusade in favor of violent riots.

It's a simple statement of fact: violent riots do work sometimes, they are the result of people being ignored for decades and centuries and they don't always obfuscate the message of those involved. And I'd add another basic point for the first time here: They have tried all these other methods people keep mentioning. They failed. That's why we're here.

You've made it clear you have very little understanding of this issue yet want to rail on with the righteous indignation of a teenage RATM fan.

This is the most hilarious shit I've heard in this topic so far judging by the comments to date and your historical inability to analyze even the simplest concept in politics over the years on GAF. I genuinely needed this laugh. Many thanks :D

Sadly, I don't think there will be significant change until a generation or two dies out. Although, at the same time, these problems are getting more attention now than they have in decades.

Maybe a significant increase in federal control over domestic law enforcement could break up some of these self-sustaining enclaves. Or at least a change in the funding methodology. Having individuals go after the people they are supposed to be protecting to supplement budgets is just stupid. And civil forfeiture needs to not be a local thing.

looting never has helped

rioting has never helped. short term gain for long term pain.

rioting can force the change in a policy, but who will change the inner conviction of those who hate.

one can HOPE that the inner conviction changes, but how many generations will have that hate passed down because for the short term gain you were willing to bend the outer conviction but failed to change the ideas of the person who hates?

the one man who did believing in a semblance of non-violence was killed by a racist individual because many individuals like him STILL existed because the job of healing hearts was NOT done. when the segment of society through their inner conviction stops hating because of the ideals brought forth by civility and and examples of a higher society set forth by those who they hate, then you get a society where there is no need to violently change policy because the haters will change it after they remove hate from within themselves and yearn to live among those of a different color rather than compromise into thinking they can

Opiate

Looting is almost always a part of riots in cities. Disconnecting the two is disingenuous at best. They happen because people are angry and blindly lash out due to that anger. Anger often results in irrational acts, but these acts have profound impacts when done on the scale of riots.

I would add that, in this case, it's incredibly difficult to figure out who the enemy is.

Because no one (or virtually no one) is out there shouting the N word any longer, it's not clear or direct or obvious who the bad guys are. It must be particularly and especially infuriating to see widespread, systemic racism, but have no one to point the finger towards.

These are not just the riots of the unheard: these are an unheard victim fighting an unseen enemy.

Amir0x

Banned
looting never has helped

rioting has never helped. short term gain for long term pain.

rioting can force the change in a policy, but who will change the inner conviction of those who hate.

This isn't true at all and you've chosen to ignore the topic in favor for a gut emotional reaction. If you're going to make an argument that rioting has never helped and is only "short term gain", then you have to prove it in the face of the evidence presented.

So, until you produce evidence that somehow changes history, you're simply wrong. Completely, indisputably wrong.

As an aside, your last point - about bringing ideals "civilly" so that the haters will eventually change and remove hate from themselves - is so naive I don't even know where to begin. That's like the logic of a child hippie or some shit. That has never been true of humanity and never will be true. SOME people will change, but there will always be a fuck ton of people that don't. That's why they need to be forced out of being allowed to endorse their hate through systematic changes which occur sometimes through nonviolence and sometimes through violence and sometimes through a combination of both.

Opiate said:
I would add that, in this case, it's incredibly difficult to figure out who the enemy is.

Because no one (or virtually no one) is out there shouting the N word any longer, it's not clear or direct or obvious who the bad guys are. It must be particularly and especially infuriating to see widespread, systemic racism, but have no one to point the finger towards.

These are not just the riots of the unheard: these are an unheard victim fighting an unseen enemy.

That's a good point. The racism that exists today is in some ways far more insidious that what was in the past. It's very difficult not to get frustrated in such an environment, because you know it exists but you can't always necessarily pinpoint it.

This isn't true at all and you've chosen to ignore the topic in favor for a gut emotional reaction. If you're going to make an argument that rioting has never helped and is only "short term gain", then you have to prove it in the face of the evidence presented.

So, until you produce evidence that somehow changes history, you're simply wrong. Completely, indisputably wrong.

well you have to answer the question, whose civil rights ideals changed history more, MLK or Malcom X to see which side of the argument you fall in then.

Amir0x

Banned
well you have to answer the question, whose civil rights ideals changed history more, MLK or Malcom X to see which side of the argument you fall in then.

My argument isn't that one works more than the other. I know which one works more often, that's not the point of this topic. Please read the thread and try to actually respond to the arguments being made.

My argument isn't that one works more than the other. I know which one works more often, that's not the point of this topic. Please read the thread and try to actually respond to the arguments being made.

isnt this discussion if certain actions result in things getting done ? this was my purpose of asking the question, MLK jr believed in looting and rioting being the wrong way to get the result while Malcom X was in favor of 'any means necessary'.

ronito

Yes, yes. But have you tried breaking some windows?

Amir0x

Banned
"Give violence a chance!

(despite it being the poorer option)"

Another straw man. And another example of a profound misunderstanding of arguments being made. Kiiinda sad at this point. You're free to read the latest response to your nonsense and actually try to respond though.

Maninthemirror said:
isnt this discussion if certain actions result in things getting done ? this was my purpose of asking the question, MLK jr believed in looting and rioting being the wrong way to get the result while Malcom X was in favor of 'any means necessary'.

The reason this topic exists is because when violent riots erupt, people such as yourself parade into those discussions and make claims about how violent riots do not work and that they obscure the message of the protesters involved. The argument I've made is simply that no, violent riots do sometimes work. And no, the messages of those involved are not always obscured. And violent riots as they are occurring now are a direct result of centuries of injustice on this subject.

That's the only argument. You keep trying to say "riots never work and it's always short term gain." That's demonstrably untrue. If you want to modify the point about it being that one works better than the other, you'll find no objections to me. But according to the studies, nonviolence does fail almost half of the time. In that case, there is no surprise people then hunt for alternatives and that sometimes they land on violence.

way more

Another straw man. And another example of a profound misunderstanding of arguments being made. Kiiinda sad at this point. You're free to read the latest response to your nonsense and actually try to respond though.

The point being made is

some percentage of the time violent riots work, and some percentage of the time nonviolence works

Right? I don't why people seek to deny it. It's so insubstantial there is nothing to dispute.

You've been spouting this same thing, it's not what anyone is advocating. It's just annoying really. Who is saying go to violence?

What is being advocated here? Sometimes things are like this and sometimes they are not.

Amir0x

Banned
The point being made is

Right?

And that violent protests do not ALWAYS obscure the message of those involved. And that we have to understand the reasons people arrive at violent protests, else we'll never stop them.

And yet every time there is a topic about riots, this argument is presented. It was because Maninthemirror made such a comment in the Baltimore riot thread that I decided to make the topic. It seems simple, but it always happens :p

Edit: I'm going to bed. Fascinating discussion guys. :)

Vice

It's not an either or scenario though. Both believed in non-violence and both also had mixed views on the use of force in protesting.

What is being advocated here? Sometimes things are like this and sometimes they are not.

Uh nothing, nothing is being advocated. Information is being shared about rioting so people can stop being so stupid about why it occurs and it's place in the history of the world and social change. The point of this thread is not even slightly vague.

Future

Op is right. Although I do think there are more ways to get exposure and get the message out there these days than in the past. Although jury is out on whether or not it can create change in the same way

EMT0

Banned
The French Revolution brought France to its knees but paved the way for rights and protections those who died for the Revolution would scarcely be able to believe for future generations, after all.

bomma_man

Great OP amir0x.

While I can completely and absolutely understand why people get angry at looters and rioters, I hate it that, too often, 'explanations' are considered 'excuses', and all conversation about why this happened in the first place - what are the root social causes of this - gets shut down /terriblywrittensentence

PBalfredo

And that violent protests do not ALWAYS obscure the message of those involved. And that we have to understand the reasons people arrive at violent protests, else we'll never stop them.

And yet every time there is a topic about riots, this argument is presented. It was because Maninthemirror made such a comment in the Baltimore riot thread that I decided to make the topic. It seems simple, but it always happens :p

So this entire topic is just so you can look at people saying "riots don't work" and interpreting it in absolute terms rather than shorthand for it being decidedly non-optional, just so you can say "ACTUALLY, they do work 26% of the time," and then reinforce it with a bunch of dubious examples of violence where their success is better credited to the non-violent movements that came afterwards?

Is that the whole point? Overly verbose semantics?

They galvanized the movement and led directly to social change. Your argument is that in some fantasy alternative reality it would have happened anyway. Well, write your sci fi book about it so I can read it, it'd probably be rad. History is still history.

Again, no policy changes occurred after Stonewall.

The problems in this country regarding minorities are socioeconomic as well. But fixing those issues would not change the problem we're dealing with right now regarding police. There's so many issues with the justice system that it needs to be torn down and completely reworked to erase the racist shit deeply engrained into its very marrow. Your idea of how soon it will be fixed or not is irrelevant to any point made in this topic. Your concept about voting is irrelevant to this discussion as well, because the reason so many people have become apathetic about voting is because that hasn't worked to fix the problems. We didn't start at 30% participation. Participation in elections have been going down every year, and that is because they have failed the people despite participation. What you're asking is that they retry this as an option. You're free to make that argument. And I'm here to tell you that it's no surprise few are willing to retry it, since the issues here are about mistrust in authority itself. If you believe authority is going to fucking kill you, why the hell would you vote again?

These riots are exactly the understandable natural results of what history in this country is. Advocate for these other methods, that's your right and I'm not even against it. This thread isn't a moral crusade in favor of violent riots.

Voting is not irrelevant to the issue of reforming the justice system. How do you expect these reforms you seek to come about? By pure magic? Local elections have the most impact on a person's daily life yet have some of the lowest voter participation rates in this country. That's a major problem, especially in inner cities. We're talking about electing officials and positions with direct ties to justice in the community, from judges to sheriffs.

It's a simple statement of fact: violent riots do work sometimes, they are the result of people being ignored for decades and centuries and they don't always obfuscate the message of those involved. And I'd add another basic point for the first time here: They have tried all these other methods people keep mentioning. They failed. That's why we're here.

Of what worth is that statement? Violent riots work...less than 30% of the time? Congratulations. Here's a better way of saying it: violent riots don't work in a vast majority of cases. Period. We agree that they are often an expression of hopelessness and anger, a last resort. But that doesn't mean they're effective - they aren't.

Your last point is also inaccurate. These cities have largely been exploited by racist policies such as redlining, or white flight, or highways, etc for decades. They have also been exploited by corrupt black politicians who were more than happy to sell out their cities. A passive, uninformed electorate is a dangerous thing. I can look at Detroit and point to a variety of issues black people had no control over on the state level. But on the city level it's not hard to find plenty of examples of corrupt local politicians stealing from the people and getting away with it. And now we are where we are.

The issue isn't that inner city people stopped participating in the political process because it failed them. It's that it failed them because they stopped participating in the political process. You cannot sit back and let people rob you because you know their parents, or share the same pastor, etc. I'm not blaming everything on this obviously.

Opiate

"Give violence a chance!

(despite it being the poorer option)"

I think the idea being expressed here can be adequately distilled by this deliberately simplified anecdote:

Imagine a person who is part of a caste system, and spends a huge portion of his life permanently subjugated by those with power. He spends a significant portion of his life homeless and poor, and finds himself frequently unable to feed his family (let's say he has one kid). The pressure and frustration of inequity, injustice and hunger finally builds until he kicks down the door of one of his oppressors and steals food and valuables.

Is his behavior okay? No, probably not. But most of us understand, and think it's valuable to look at why a person is so desperate and frustrated in the first place in addition to condemning their behavior. What is such a person supposed to do, exactly? Playing the game "fair and square" doesn't work when the game is already rigged against him.

Abounder

Banned
Riots can accomplish things but usually for the worse. The violence in Baltimore is not the answer, for every French Revolution there is a forgotten riot and senseless chaos.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
OP's post is full of half analysis

Stone-Wall was symbolic, it wasn't the riot/violence itself that galvanized people, it was the rare sight and sound in these days of seeing LGBT people standing up for justice, seeing that it was possible. It(rioting) certainly wasn't repeated over n over, LGBT community organized to affect their political and social standing in this country.

Im not gonna comment on the other examples posted cuz I dunno enough about them(though from what I remember Blair Mountain was largely the effect of work stoppage and strikes). Riots "work" Accidentally, and very Very VERY rarely.

What angers me is the us NOT LEARNING the rule of the game, not evolving with it. We're not accompanying our protest and anger with political strength building. Right now my Facebook is full of "Fuck politicians!, Revolution" random MLK quotes.. pics of white people rioting after sport stuff..."don't judge them"... We're repeating a failed tactic, stop excusing it.

An opinion piece from Ta-Nehisi Coates pointedly getting at the heart of what Amir0x and many others are getting at:

The people now calling for nonviolence are not prepared to answer these questions. Many of them are charged with enforcing the very policies that led to Gray's death, and yet they can offer no rational justification for Gray's death and so they appeal for calm. But there was no official appeal for calm when Gray was being arrested. There was no appeal for calm when Jerriel Lyles was assaulted. (“The blow was so heavy. My eyes swelled up. Blood was dripping down my nose and out my eye.”) There was no claim for nonviolence on behalf of Venus Green. (“Bitch, you ain’t no better than any of the other old black bitches I have locked up.”) There was no plea for peace on behalf of Starr Brown. (“They slammed me down on my face,” Brown added, her voice cracking. “The skin was gone on my face.")

When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.

Nonviolence as Compliance

The reason this topic exists is because when violent riots erupt, people such as yourself parade into those discussions and make claims about how violent riots do not work and that they obscure the message of the protesters involved. The argument I've made is simply that no, violent riots do sometimes work. And no, the messages of those involved are not always obscured. And violent riots as they are occurring now are a direct result of centuries of injustice on this subject.

That's the only argument. You keep trying to say "riots never work and it's always short term gain." That's demonstrably untrue. If you want to modify the point about it being that one works better than the other, you'll find no objections to me. But according to the studies, nonviolence does fail almost half of the time. In that case, there is no surprise people then hunt for alternatives and that sometimes they land on violence.

And the gist is violence is a temporary fix which brings bigger pain . Even the family of the man who died are demanding violence stop because it ultimately achieves nothing but publicity which brews more anger rather than publicity which results in change. I think all movements result in both violence and non violence but it wrong to assume it is the violence which brought out majority of the change and I can argue it is violence which slowed down change ultimately which is bound to happen through non violence means.

One step forward, 5 steps back

People don't riot because of statistical probability. They riot because they're fucking pissed at an injustice, real or perceived, and create their own outlet for it. You can condemn specific actors in such dramas while also recognizing that the genre, itself, is inevitable, and trying to structure society in such a way as to minimize the number of releases within it.

Air

Banned
Whenever somebody brings up that riots are bad in the case of black individuals, I always picture a certain tumblr post that mentions how masses of white people would riot over something as simple as a sports team losing. While I'm not condoning violence, noone should be surprised that Blacks are tired of being slaughtered and are lashing out at the powers that be because they haven't done their job in protecting us. So if a bunch of white dudes can riot and flip a police car over a game of football, you damn well better believe blacks will riot when they've been abused for so long.

Here's a link to that post actually:

http://iwriteaboutfeminism.tumblr.com/post/103594174088/yet-where-was-the-national-guard

And the gist is violence is a temporary fix which brings bigger pain . Even the family of the man who died are demanding violence stop because it ultimately achieves nothing but publicity which brews more anger rather than publicity which results in change. I think all movements result in both violence and non violence but it wrong to assume it is the violence which brought out majority of the change and I can argue it is violence which slowed down change ultimately which is bound to happen through non violence means.

The function of violence is shock. Some people will seriously never consider your point until they see the world around them crumbling.

Gleethor

I think the idea being expressed here can be adequately distilled by this deliberately simplified anecdote:

Imagine a person who is part of a caste system, and spends a huge portion of his life permanently subjugated by those with power. He spends a significant portion of his life homeless and poor, and finds himself frequently unable to feed his family (let's say he has one kid). The pressure and frustration of inequity, injustice and hunger finally builds until he kicks down the door of one of his oppressors and steals food and valuables.

Is his behavior okay? No, probably not. But most of us understand, and think it's valuable to look at why a person is so desperate and frustrated in the first place in addition to condemning their behavior. What is such a person supposed to do, exactly? Playing the game "fair and square" doesn't work when the game is already rigged against him.

I guess the real trick is correctly identifying the oppressors, which is a lot more difficult in a nation with a more informal caste system and less overt racism. And not everyone seems to agree on who to blame.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't condone rioting/destruction at all but if you don't talk about certain issues and/or cities until there's a riot then why can't you (also) understand why some people riot?

Many don't talk about issues that have been going on for a long time on thier social media feeds until they see videos and pictures of riots but yet some of the same people don't understand why people riot. I don't get it at all.

nib95

Banned

I don't agree with this. Personally I think rioting and destruction of property, along with everything else that comes with it, is actually far more likely to make waves than ordinary non violent protests. You look at protests in the UK against the Iraq war (the largest in our history), student fees etc, and because they were mostly non violent, the government essentially ignored people. Then look at France and the riots that stemmed from the retirement age increase, which led to mass protests and pure carnage of public property, and the government very quickly caved in.

The sad fact is, governments often care more for monetary losses than they do ordinary vocal out cry, that is the massive cost of repair, damage to economy, buildings, infrastructure, property valuation, businesses, consumer trust, political ramifications and everything else. It may look like a temporary few steps back, but in the grand scheme I don't think it is. If more of the country was united in rioting, I personally think change would come a lot sooner. The states simply cannot afford the cost of dealing with it in any widespread fashion.

Trey

I guess the real trick is correctly identifying the oppressors, which is a lot more difficult in a nation with a more informal caste system and less overt racism. And not everyone seems to agree on who to blame.

The establishment is to blame, as is everyone who propagates it. So, essentially, everyone is to blame, which means no one is to blame.

It's best to not think of it in terms of blame and punishment, and more in terms of correcting injustice and making our country whole. Ensuring that all people can prosper, and that maximum opportunity is afforded. Short term, that means a lot of wealth must be freed up or "redistributed." A lot of rights must be better protected, and in some cases, established for certain citizens.

The American Revolution was a large scale riot in essence. We wouldn't even have a GAF to have this discussion if Colonials didn't riot against the British.

Talk about hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom