• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the average price of a CRT nowadays?

Mistake

So, I will be moving somewhat soon and have a bunch of CRTs I should probably sell. I really wanted to save them, as my idea was to have a console for each of my systems in a game room, but there is no way I can bring them all with me. Maybe one if I'm lucky, and I can use an AV selector instead. So what are these going for now? I have a
JVC AV-27530
Sanyo D24424
Toshiba 36A43
Panasonic 27in (no label)

Not sure which is best to keep, but definitely not the Toshiba as it weighs a ton. I usually used the Panasonic, as it is a good size, but the sanyo is probably clearer. The sanyo might be a digital crt though, which I heard is not as good? I checked ebay and prices are all over the place, from $100-$300. Not sure who is scalping or what the demand is for retro gaming

Last edited:
If you check Facebook marketplace its got people giving them away for free as well as people selling them for inflated prices as "vintage gaming TVs", so its tough to say. I bought a Toshiba 27AF43 for 40 bucks a few months ago if that helps. Chances are you will have a harder time offloading the heavier units since they will be harder to move so be aware of that too.

MarkMe2525

So, I will be moving somewhat soon and have a bunch of CRTs I should probably sell. I really wanted to save them, as my idea was to have a console for each of my systems in a game room, but there is no way I can bring them all with me. Maybe one if I'm lucky, and I can use an AV selector instead. So what are these going for now? I have a
JVC AV-27530
Sanyo D24424
Toshiba 36A43
Panasonic 27in (no label)

Not sure which is best to keep, but definitely not the Toshiba as it weighs a ton. I usually used the Panasonic, as it is a good size, but the sanyo is probably clearer. The sanyo might be a digital crt though, which I heard is not as good? I checked ebay and prices are all over the place, from $100-$300. Not sure who is scalping or what the demand is for retro gaming
Whatever you do, do not use the search term "retro", as that's guaranteed to list people looking to dump their old TV for a boat load of cash.

I have a panasonic 27 flat crt with component input. I would go to thrift stores and check Facebook marketplace frequently. Eventually, I find someone putting a bunch of junk by the road and it was there.

Also, my 27 inch is like 80 lbs, so be carefully not to go too big.

Edit: oh geez, it's obvious that I didnt read OP before I started throwing suggestions out.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I had a late-model flat one for a while that I used, but over time I've grown to prefer the classic curved screens. I don't really want a high-end model that is overly sharp and flat, that kind of defeats the point of having a classic CRT with its warmth, curve, and distinct glowy blur that makes the art look the way it was intended in the early pixel games.

Last edited:
I had a late-model flat one for a while that I used, but over time I've grown to prefer the classic curved screens. I don't really want a high-end model that is overly sharp and flat, that kind of defeats the point of having a classic CRT with its warmth, curve, and distinct glowy blur that makes the art look the way it was intended in the early pixel games.

Curved CRT screens have better horizontal scrolling than flat screens as far as gaming goes. Take a moment to try the 240p Test Suite on a CRT if you have the means, you'll see it plain as day

The sanyo might be a digital crt though, which I heard is not as good?
no such thing as a digital CRT.
a small percentage accept digital signals (hdmi, dvi-i, dvi-d) but CRTs are analog in nature.

if the tv/monitor has a digital-in, that's a positive thing.

Krathoon

Really, it is time to let go of the CRTs. Just use flat screens. They are way easier to carry around. Way more practical.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Don't forget that the site has a marketplace section... you may be able to sell them to a local GAFfer

Last edited:
Top Bottom