• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best handheld device for Retro emulation?

DaveMG

Banned
I have a Gpd XD and its great, i had it pre ordered so mine is one of the first with the QC issues. My dpad wasnt working right so i took it apart and sorted that and now it works fine.

The last games i played on it are legend of the mystical ninja (SNES) and 40 winks (PS1) the dpad and analogues are fine, not the best ever but great for a handheld.

Overall its well worth the money and being android you have access to all the games on the play store. HDMI out too so you can play on the tv.

This thread has reminded me of my GP2X Wiz I was gifted. It froze while it was updating the firmware, which bricked it, and there's no good way to fix it. Poor thing lasted 30 minutes.
Other than that updating the firmware seems like it's not worth the risk, and its age (released 2009), it actually seemed like a pretty great emulation box, especially if you need something small and extremely portable.
I'm now interested in the GPD XD, but it'd probably be better to just get a flat controller to attach to my iPhone.

Terra

This thread makes me wish there was a Shield portable 2 ;_;

Well, the JXD s192 on the second page of this thread is as close as you get.

Portable. Nividia K1-processor. Shield Hub-access. Controllers that work natively in all games.

What would you want more? X1-processor? Give that 2 years.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
6331_13.jpg

Still my favorite.

VVV Mars VG

I've got both the GPD and JXD, made a video on the JXD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAc0lXPq2s GPD video up later in July.

The GPD is more powerful and more portable, but the screen size and resolution on the JXD is just perfect. The way scanlines look is spot on and I simply can't fault the experience. Yes the analogue sticks are a bit weak but they do the job and it outputs to the TV well.

Here's the JXD output to the TV for this recording with scanlines turned on (they look better on the small screen but you get the idea). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnIQu7g8_U

GlamFM

Banned
I've got both the GPD and JXD, made a video on the JXD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAc0lXPq2s GPD video up later in July.

The GPD is more powerful and more portable, but the screen size and resolution on the JXD is just perfect. The way scanlines look is spot on and I simply can't fault the experience. Yes the analogue sticks are a bit weak but they do the job and it outputs to the TV well.

Here's the JXD output to the TV for this recording with scanlines turned on (they look better on the small screen but you get the idea). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnIQu7g8_U

Thanks, will check it out later.

I think I'm going with the GPD, the other devices don't seem like something you pull out of your picked casually on your morning commute.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hand cramp city! They can't even lip sync their video compently so I don't hold out much hope for the quality of the actual device.

My thoughts exactly. There's no way that device will come out and/or be ANY good. At least not anytime soon...

Still thinking I'll go with the JXD. I want something that will handle N64 relatively well.

LewieP

A DS3 clip is prety much your answer
Doesn't that use a suction cup?

If there was a phone that was a regular phone but designed with a robust method to clip a controller into it, and optionally draw power from a battery in the controller, whilst having a physical connection between the phone and the controller to avoid using wireless, I'd be all over it.

All the controllers I've seen for phones/tablet are compromised in some fashion. Obviously for mass market phones they'd never compromise the design to suit using a gaming controller, but I'm surprised there's not enough niche appeal for a device like this for at least one manufacturer to give it a try.

I don't want physical controls built into the phone, but current aftermarket solutions are somewhat lacking.

Mozendo

Well, the JXD s192 on the second page of this thread is as close as you get.

Portable. Nividia K1-processor. Shield Hub-access. Controllers that work natively in all games.

What would you want more? X1-processor? Give that 2 years.
Wish it was more portable ;_;
Honestly I'd rather get the shield tablet and use a Bluetooth controller or does the s192 give better performance?

HF2014

These handheld look interesting, but im just wondering how long these china product can last. Ordering from amazon is like 230$ cnd, kind of expensive , and doesnt seem to do dolphin games....

Boney

Banned
By the way, how does the touch screen work for DS games? I'd guess it's not resistive?

They're a bit too expensive if I were to buy the GPD XD locally and I'm always wary about shipping rates and taxes with international orders...

How is the build quality on these JXD things? The 7800B and new S192? Are the buttons going to be falling off in a year or does it feel like they are built to last? That is my biggest reservation about plunking down $150-350 for one. Will I be playing it in 10 years like my old PSP?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How is the build quality on these JXD things? The 7800B and new S192? Are the buttons going to be falling off in a year or does it feel like they are built to last? That is my biggest reservation about plunking down $150-350 for one. Will I be playing it in 10 years like my old PSP?

They posted videos on their Facebook page about how to replace the buttons if need be. That would suggest that either they are garbage or they understand people wanting to mod them at some point.

Terra

The JXD 192 build quality is very good overall. Not the sloppy JXD quality that they are known for. The control sticks are a little bit wide in the movement, but nice and durable I think.

And someone in this thread said that the GPD is more powerful than the s192. That is wrong. The JXD s192 with the K1 is the fastest portable you can get today.

Randomizer

N3DS is the best if you want to play at native resolution and it easily has the best controls. Playing on HD tablets and phones is out of the question for me, 240p or bust.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the old JXD 7800B from 2014 (posted here by SinCityAssassin).

How about the new JXD S192 from 2015 (posted later by Terra)?

unrealist

I used to own GPD XD, was fun while it lasted. Not a matter of quality but it somehow just don't appeal to me .. the x-factor / gaming factor isn't there. I dont know how to explain it - despite it being able to run a plethora of games with a reasonably good IPS screen, the "feel" just isn't there.

The new 3DS XL suits me more despite supporting far less emulators. I think it's a Nintendo thing that clicks sub consciously. For PSX emulation, I use my jailbroken iPhone with a MFI controller.

TI82

Banned
This is what I do as well. It's the only way to ensure that your hardware won't be outdated in 3 years and offers the best upgrade path. Short of Dolphin, it runs everything I throw at it and if a button, stick or dpad break I can replace it for under $20. $5 MicroHDMI as well and its playable on the big screen.

Well, right now I use a PS4 clip and Note 4 with OC, and also a couple bluetooth 8Bitdos when I'm not at home since it's better pocketable. Will probably replace the PS4 controller with one of the new XOne controllers with Bluetooth.

bDBLslp.jpg
3IMJAFf.jpg

These things look awesome !!

Edit: woops meant to add that to my older post

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I've been eying the Pocket C.H.I.P as a possible source for handheld emulation.

ldHAXhj.jpg

It's a tiny computer like Raspberry Pi and such, but I like how modifiable the package is. Here is their announcement video about it's game program PICO-8.

Kotaku posted a story about it. There's also videos on the YouTubes showing hacking and modifying the hardware for various purposes.

zephry

Looking at the GPD XD right now:

13310500_10209252702743599_2220426567451171678_n.jpg

Is this the one? Have I already found it?

Or is something else coming in the near future?

Thanks!

I own one and it's really good. One thing to note is that all emulators have inherent input lag and may throw you off on action games. If you want to play RPG and such it's perfect.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish I could figure out how to get emulators working on my old first generation PSP-1000 (Not Vita. The original day one PSP.) so I could give it some use. Even though it's huge. I had a lot of fun with it back then. I beat Dragon Warrior NES on it for the first time. I used to play a lot of NES and SNES games on it. But then one day I groggily updated my firmware and broke my emulators and then literally never even used the device for actual games again so it wasn't even worth it. And last time I installed emulators, they were slow as shit as if they had moved on without the device. I don't even know what firmware is on it now. Or where it is.

However I'd love to get a perfect device that can play NES, SNES, Genesis and GameBoy/GBA games but fits in a small form factor.

b3b0p

I don't understand.

How can you play these games enjoyably on the emulators? I have yet to come across any emulator on any platform or system that doesn't have skips or input lag, not to mention the controllers / buttons are hit and miss in terms of feel. It completely ruins the fun factor and enjoyment for me. It drive me batty. The closest and mostly tolerable solution so far I have found is Nintendo Virtual Console if that counts.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I own one and it's really good. One thing to note is that all emulators have inherent input lag and may throw you off on action games. If you want to play RPG and such it's perfect.

Oh...This is a crazy bummer. I can't justify the purchase if that's the case.

PaulloDEC

I don't understand.

How can you play these games enjoyably on the emulators? I have yet to come across any emulator on any platform or system that doesn't have skips or input lag, not to mention the controllers / buttons are hit and miss in terms of feel. It completely ruins the fun factor and enjoyment for me. It drive me batty. The closest and mostly tolerable solution so far I have found is Nintendo Virtual Console if that counts.

People will tell you all sorts of strange things in relation to input lag (see above), but the simple fact is that only the most finely attuned individuals are going to have their ability to enjoy a game ruined by a minute amount of input lag.

TI82

Banned

While yes it is awesome, we should warn him or her that the dpad is not good. Very mushy

zephry

It's not just GPD that has input lag issue. Pretty much every emulator on any system has some input lag. If you want pure experience you need the original system and a CRT TV unfortunately. When I play SMW and DKC on an emulator I really suck, but on a SNES on a CRT, I can just play like I used to.

zephry

While yes it is awesome, we should warn him or her that the dpad is not good. Very mushy

While it is mushy it's OK for playing RPGs and such. I agree it still isn't perfect and they should've gone for more responsive pads.

zephry

People will tell you all sorts of strange things in relation to input lag (see above), but the simple fact is that only the most finely attuned individuals are going to have their ability to enjoy a game ruined by a minute amount of input lag.

There is a big difference playing the games on the original system on a CRT TV and on an emulator on flat panel display for games that require precise controls. For some games it doesn't matter but games like DKC suffers.

PaulloDEC

It's not just GPD that has input lag issue. Pretty much every emulator on any system has some input lag.

Yup. In the main GPD XD thread I did a test when the subject came up, and I found the exact same amount of input lag in SMW on Snes9X PC (with wired 360 pad) as there is with the equivalent Snes9X android app on the GPD XD.

There is a big difference playing the games on the original system on a CRT TV and on an emulator on flat panel display for games that require precise controls. For some games it doesn't matter but games like DKC suffers.

"Big" is a very relative word in this case. We're talking about around 1/10 of a second between pressing a button and getting a reaction in SNES emulation, which I believe is around 100ms. I'd be very interested to see exactly how much was present on the original hardware.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This looks way too good to be actually good. Please tell me this is good.

Closest thing to the originals you can buy.

I have the NES one without the analogs though.

HMSGuPa.jpg

The extra buttons are a little weird if you are used to just the NES controller as it was lol. Also in case you were wondering, that clip on the bottom does come off.

RM8

This so much.
And that controller, is one of the best controllers I've ever used.
Of course I can't know since I haven't used one, but I don't trust "circled" d-pads. I'd need to play some fighting games with that thing first.

Top Bottom