• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst situation that happened to you where you controller died or system shut off?

I'm sure there's got to be some gut wrenching stories where you lost progress or died because of a dead controller/power outage/system crash.

Mine didn't really affect progress per se, but lightning struck by my house and the power went out. When it came back my Xbox 360 was fried to where I couldn't get online anymore. Boy, I missed playing COD2 and back then the repairs were super slow.

Tell me yours and I'll cry with you.

This isn't fully related, but the first time I fought slave knight Gael in dark souls 3 my steam deck was about to die. I thought to myself, well it isn't like I'll stand a chance anyways, so I kept playing. Then I did really, really good against him. During the phase 1 into phase 2 transition movje, I ran to my charger and plugged the deck in. I got him to ~10% health on the first try, but finally died.

It took me 2 hours of practice to get back to that point lol.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I don't have much problems with online, but I do remember when I was playing L4D2 and the Xbox360 controller battery died(it aways happens to me because that controller sucks). That game to beat on the hardest levels is something else, so every situation like that was a stress.

It wasn't that much of deal for me though. But my brother was aways dead serious when playing L4D2. Every mistake I made he used snap on me as if I was a pro. The only reason I played was to help him but he aways complained I played bad lmao

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I still prefer wired controllers so I never have to contend with dead batteries. I dont remember many specifics, but I do remember my 360 freezing right before I got to a new save room in SotN. I was pissed.

Power Pro

Any time I was in a really good party where the experience was just flowing in Final Fantasy XI, and I lost connection or power went out was always sooo frustrating, because sometimes they'd wait for you to reconnect, but sometimes they used it as a good reason to call it a day.

laynelane

One of my cats pulled my PS4 to the floor - wrecking the HDMI port in the process. I didn't have the budget to fix it at that point, but no worries - I just used remote play instead. Except not long after, an update came which did a hardware check and because my system was damaged - it wouldn't complete the update and I couldn't play anything at all. A while later, I had it repaired but I really missed gaming in that time.

Sleepwalker

Anywhere it happened in a competitive setting, happened a few times, mostly with PS4 controllers.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I was about 30 minutes into the Adamantoise fight in FFXV and lost power. That was annoying, because so was that battle and having to do it twice was terrible lol

I get massive Bluetooth interference at my place. It hadn't happened in ages and decided to rear its head while in the middle of a full server fight in Hunt: Showdown with the rest of my team down already. I was trying to revive my man and my aim kept going haywire and yanking away from his body.

The entire party chat was screaming in high-pitched horror. I got fucking rekt.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

I've had a controller disconnect but the game pauses automatically.
Lost power one time but the game auto saved, didn't lose much.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Reactions: Isa
This isn't fully related, but the first time I fought slave knight Gael in dark souls 3 my steam deck was about to die. I thought to myself, well it isn't like I'll stand a chance anyways, so I kept playing. Then I did really, really good against him. During the phase 1 into phase 2 transition movje, I ran to my charger and plugged the deck in. I got him to ~10% health on the first try, but finally died.

It took me 2 hours of practice to get back to that point lol.
I was expecting some DS responses. That fight took me so many tries. Such a badass fight and worth the grind.

I get massive Bluetooth interference at my place. It hadn't happened in ages and decided to rear its head while in the middle of a full server fight in Hunt: Showdown with the rest of my team down already. I was trying to revive my man and my aim kept going haywire and yanking away from his body.

Omg I wish I could see this

TransTrender

Gold Member
I fired up my BC PS3 60GB to play Zone of the Enders 2 again, and it died right when it tried loading the game.
I died
Everyone died

I still don't use wireless mice for gaming.
Work and work travel, fine.
Otherwise no.

I have a Razer - Viper Ultimate Ultralight Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse with Charging Dock - Black I got for $5 and still haven't plugged it in since last year when I got it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not power outage or anything, but I will never forget when I was trying to get all the stars in a cup in Mario Kart. I had finished 3/4 stages pretty much perfectly after countless restarts - the rubberband AI in these games is insanely annoying when you’re going for a top score imo. Just as the final race starts my grandmother comes into my room, pulls the extension and says ‘I have to vacuum in here’.

After that I just gave up.

drganon

I've told this story before, but my power went out for about five seconds while the unskippable credits were rolling in yakuza kiwami 2. It didn't auto save, so I had to do the whole final area sequence and boss battle all over again.

Duchess

Beat a hard as fuck boss in Dark Souls 3 when my new kitten stepped on my PS4's plug switch and turned the whole system off*.

Luckily, I discovered that the game had saved just a second or so earlier, so I didn't need to go through all that again.

(* - it's one of those gang planks, with the individual switches - there are about 6 things plugged into it, and she managed to step on that one specifically..!)

SHA

Emulators crashing multiple times, specifically pcsx2 and dolphin, I lost many save progresses and ended up buying the original copy of each game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This one time when I was playing Dragon Age, my computer suddenly shut down and refused to work anymore. Turns out that the motherboard died, and I didn't have any money to buy a new one because I have just lost my job a month prior to that. So, I had to do the thing that I've always dreaded the most, which is to start going out more and hanging around with my friends, which ultimately led to me meeting my future girlfriend with which I had a great thing going on for a while until she decided to cheat on me and this event left me with emotional scars that never fully healed. But at least I got to go to a kickass music festival that summer as a way to mend my broken heart and find the rhythm of the world again after it got shook from underneath my feet. I became a changed person, and it all leads back to that broken motherboard...

Is that what you meant, OP?

SHA

This man never bought Kinect

Like commanding Xbox to go home when you already at home, this s is weird and broken with zero sense of logic, those stupid commands that has nothing to do with the real world yet it does.

This one time when I was playing Dragon Age, my computer suddenly shut down and refused to work anymore. Turns out that the motherboard died, and I didn't have any money to buy a new one because I have just lost my job a month prior to that. So, I had to do the thing that I've always dreaded the most, which is to start going out more and hanging around with my friends, which ultimately led to me meeting my future girlfriend with which I had a great thing going on for a while until she decided to cheat on me and this event left me with emotional scars that never fully healed. But at least I got to go to a kickass music festival that summer as a way to mend my broken heart and find the rhythm of the world again after it got shook from underneath my feet. I became a changed person, and it all leads back to that broken motherboard...

Is that what you meant, OP?
Well that was a journey to read. Not what I meant, but probably best comment.

I think when I was a teenager playing Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360, my controller died on the Stairs section near the end of the game. I was near the end of it and then I died and got super mad.

nikos

Launch day PS3 died in 2015 as I was playing all the Metal Gear Solid games to prepare for Metal Gear Solid V. It died during Metal Gear Solid IV. That probably would’ve been the last time I needed it anyway but I had to get another to finish the game.

Robbinhood

Banned
Remember the old sixaxis controllers that would randomly disconnect?

I was playing F1 championship online, lap 70/72 got disconnected, right into a wall and dnf’d

Krathoon

I actually had a fried PS2 once. Booted it up and the graphics were corrupted.

Also, I have one of those defective 360s that did the red ring of death. They did not fix it for shit. I bought the pro model later on.

Top Bottom