• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Treasure's best game?

BusterJol

Astroboy: Omega Factor - if you haven't played this, you should.

Astro-Boy-Omega-Factor-600x343.jpg

This. So much to find and figure out. With so much destruction. Love this game and the week or so I played it.

Gunstar Heroes basically changed me as a gamer/person. Even though there are so many other games i could put up here, nothing compares to the joy i get playing Gunstar.

I can't decide between Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy. Dear god those games ate up so many hours of my youth back in the day. Phenomenal games with amazing soundtracks and set pieces. I regret not getting Ikaruga on the Dreamcast back in the day though.

I need to play Star Successor, I feel like I'd love that game.

It's so much easier to think of what isn't my favorite than it is to think of one that is. Ikaruga always felt annoying to get into, and it always takes more effort to enjoy for me, like Silhouette Mirage, its cousin, even if Ikaruga is one of the tightest products to ever come out of Treasure. I prefer side-scrolling action Treasure designs over the rest of their output, I guess, but I do love the S&P games and RS. Can't really decide with 100% confidence, but I think I might have loved Dynamite Headdy the most of all of their releases for its constant effort to impress even if it was at the cost of a tighter, more consistent experience that Gunstar Heroes or Guardian Heroes provide. Mischief Makers falls in line behind that for the same reason.

I think my favorite Treasure game is Alien Soldier. Incredible game. A tech marvel for Genesis. S&P1 is my second favorite. I need to give S&P2 a new try

I think Ikaruga is the Treasure's best designed game overall, thought

SkylineRKR

Gunstar Heroes I think.

I also liked Radiant a lot, but it had a shitload buttons and was slow. Ohtrigen though. Game was glued in my Saturn for weeks.

I think Ikagura was better. Alien Soldier is very good as well as is Guardian Heroes.

Ikaruga. A lot of variety in how you can play, amazing art and atmosphere, and a great soundtrack. Hard to beat in it's genre.

They have a knack for choosing great game names. Always loved the name Radiant Silvergun, and Sin and Punishment up there too.

Raitaro

OP is on point. Star Successor is not only Treasure's best game, it's one of the best action games ever made.

I really should play this asap, like I always meant to do at some point but somehow keep forgetting... It's available on the (EU) Wii U e-shop, no? Does it play well on there?

Kneefoil

I really should play this asap, like I always meant to do at some point but somehow keep forgetting... It's available on the (EU) Wii U e-shop, no? Does it play well on there?
It's in the eShop, that is correct.

To my understanding, the eShop Wii games just use the actual Wii hardware that's inside the Wii U for backwards compatibility purposes, so it should play the game just as well as a Wii would.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm so happy to see so much love for Star Successor. That game always felt like it got lost in the shuffle during the whole anti-Japanese gaming stigma going on in that time, crossed with the whole anti-Wii stigma. The best use of the Wii controller ever, game controlled like magic.

Though I do think I prefer the original S&P to Star Successor, if only because no setpiece in Star Successor comes close to the Aircraft Carrier stage :O

Other favorite games from the company have to be Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, and Radiant Silvergun. Most underrated game would be Advance Guardian Heroes, that game never really got its due love due to its slowdown and fact it was a bit 'cutsier' than the original.

Kent

What is Treasure's best game to you guys?

I believe the answer to this question is yes.

But I have to give credit where credit is due. Gunstar Heroes is the reason I pursued getting into the game development industry.

Though in all fairness, I think it could go to Guardian Heroes HD, if only because they did a remake of a lot of the game's systems and made an already-amazing game even better. If only all HD remakes could be that amazing.

That said, I do need to really get into Alien Soldier. I got it during that one Bundle Stars sale on Genesis games, but have yet to really find time to sit down and understand it. Considering what I've seen and heard, and what little I've gotten around to playing, I have pretty high hopes for it. I need to get a Saturn USB controller...

-Gozer-

It's impossible for me to choose a favorite. I'd say my top three (in no particular order) are Gradius V, Sin & Punishment 2 and Alien Soldier.

It really breaks my heart to see the state that Treasure is in atm. I was hoping that S&P2 would be financially successful for them but in the back of my mind I knew it had a low chance of success.

Raitaro

It's in the eShop, that is correct.

To my understanding, the eShop Wii games just use the actual Wii hardware that's inside the Wii U for backwards compatibility purposes, so it should play the game just as well as a Wii would.

Cheers - I'll snap it up as soon as I return from my holiday.

Dascu

Good OP. One of the best action games of all time and consequently must be one of the most overlooked titles in existence.

Either Gradius V or Mischief Makers. Gradius V is just a really damn great Gradius game, while Mischief Makers is its own unique thing that's super charming.

cf4A7CT.gif

I think I need to try Mischief Makers, seeing all those posts about it.

It'll take a while to get used to how it all works, but once it clicks, it's sublime.

Guardian Heroes without a doubt, not only Treasures best game, it is IMO in contention for best all time game.

Having said all that, I absolutely LOVE Radiant Silvergun too.

S&P (and sequel) are probably the only Treasure games I haven't completed - need a skilled buddy to go through them with really.

The better question is what their worst game is. Because most of their canon is important in one way or another to one person or another. I don't remember loving Mischief Makers as much as some of the others.

As for my favorite, definitely Astro Boy. I want to love Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun but they're tough games.

Neff

8. Ikaruga 斑鳩
7. Sin & Punishment 2
6. Radiant Silvergun
5. Guardian Heroes
4. Gradius V
3. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
2. Dynamite Headdy
1. Gunstar Heroes

The better question is what their worst game is. Because most of their canon is important in one way or another to one person or another. I don't remember loving Mischief Makers as much as some of the others.

The McDonalds game is probably the worst one I've played. And you know what? It's actually not bad.

robosllim

I skipped classes for a day in college just to play through Sin & Punishment when it came out on VC (one of only two times I skipped just to play games) and loved every second of it. And speaking of VC, Gunstar Heroes is my top multiplayer game on there, though DKC2 and SMW probably see more playtime overall.

So, I guess I need to get to S&P2, and... I probably need to play Mischief Makers, which I bought a couple years ago but haven't gotten around to playing...

Astroboy Omega Factor, followed far behind by Guardian Heroes. The world needs to have sequels of these 2 masterpieces--no 3D bullshit please.

Treasure are the masters of classic 2D gaming. Mentioning a polygon-based game such as S&P2 (while good in its own right) as their best effort is sacrilege imho.

piggychan

Having looked at it for the first time recently, the biggest letdown for me is probably Silhouette Mirage. It's easily got some of Treasure's most beautiful and fun setpieces, but they're held back by game mechanics that do nothing but get in the way of actually fighting enemies while making you grind repeatedly.
47470ab151.gif

That's one of my faves. That's the saturn version in that gif and the gameplay hasn't been altered.

Gustar Heroes and Guardian Heroes really got my attention into their games along with Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga and Gradius V.

I also have a fondness for Light Crusader

EDIT

If only this game got completed for the Dreamcast

gun_beat_ss2.jpg

Top Bottom