• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is/was your personal favorite home console fighting game release?

OH-MyCar

Street Fighter Alpha 1, with the big, ugly box-art on PS1.

Gamestop was just getting into trade-ins at the time and I lost a sizeable portion of my 16-bit library just for that single game. By today's standards I must've lost $300 on it; it's by far the worst trade-in I've ever made and yet I played it til my fingers bled.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (PSX)
Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
Mortal Kombat IV (N64)
Marvel vs. Street Fighter (Saturn Import w/RAM Cartridge)
Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360/XBO)

It's hard to pick favorites from all your children, but these are the ones I had the most fun with. Gonna start Injustice 2: Electric Boogaloo soon...and hoping for Smash Bros on the Switch since my WiiU is boxed up.

Last edited:
I'm one of those weird Virtua Fighter people, so for me it's either Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2) or Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (PS3).

I understand why the game play didn't click with people at first, but once they ditched the floaty jumping and incorporated full 3D movement, the game had a "weight" to it that no other fighting game could quite match. I wish it found a wider audience once it went online with Final Showdown. I hope it being in the Yakuza game is a sign it will appear standalone on PS4.

Sums up my feelings pretty well. No other fighter has the same flavor as VF, and for me, none are nearly as good. I miss the days when you could easily find an online match in FS.

kunonabi

Sums up my feelings pretty well. No other fighter has the same flavor as VF, and for me, none are nearly as good. I miss the days when you could easily find an online match in FS.

It's funny when I was young I played VF casually for the graphics but I always found it laughable as a competitive game. I gave it shot after shot but I just didn't see the depth. Then the home release of Evo happened and it was like a whole new world opened up. Now, I consider it to pretty much be the pinnacle of fighting games.

RVIDXR

This right here.

latest

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)

When I was still having fun playing local multiplayer with my brother as kids. Battle Arena Toshinden was a good time, too, but it's a lot less technically advanced and inferior. I say 64 because I kind of dropped off during Melee and didn't enjoy it as much, and when Brawl came out it was all about online, didn't really get to play it locally and my brother and I weren't evenly matched anymore.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I played (and still play) Moero! Justice Gakuen (Project Justice). The nihojin version comes with a awesome board game

RVIDXR

The game had so much potential but the load times were horrible. I wanted to love it. I still have my copy.

This was my first MK experience but I see what you mean about the load times. I used them to give my hands a break on the higher levels of the pillars haha

Rodolink

1-Smash Bros Melee/U countless hours and anecdotes playing with my family and friends
2-Soul Calibur II simply because it had Link and although I loved the arcade versions I couldn't get a Dreamcast at the time, so the GCN version won for me.
3-Killer Instinct was the most impressive fighting game I saw when I was a kid

ScrapBrain

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition on the Sega Genesis. It was my go-to for playing games with friends back in the day, I must've played that cart for hundreds of hours before it finally bit the dust. Found another one in a pawn shop, kept on fightin'. Good times

Top Bottom