• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Wrong With Me? A Zelda BotW Thread

kunonabi

-I'm not sure where you are that you can stand next to an enemy and mash attack without dying. That works on low level enemies, but many enemies one shot kill you if you don't have a plan.

I get people not liking that weapons break, but that design choice makes mashing attack a bad option in combat and encourages the use of magic, environment manipulation, arrows, and stealth.

-I don't know how many motion control shrine puzzles there are, but I've encountered three in 30 hours, I think. None of them required any special timing and were based more on manipulating an object into the correct position.

-I would like more map icons, but what's missing at the 11 hour mark that you feel you need? Do you not like having to find shrines by visually searching for them in the world or solving shrine quests?

This isnt true at all in practice. Even lynels can be mashed on if you run to their hind quarters especially the hammer/club ones

PantsuJo

It's possible you don't like the game and this is fine.

The world can continue to assign prizes and perfect scores to a game but if you don't enjoy it, then drop it now... and don't be afraid to say "for me isn't a masterpiece" only because the world says it.

Even on an GAF.

Anteo

1. I have alot of the map exposed I've been to the zora and Gerudo towns. Besides a giant rock guy that one shot me near the start of the game just mashing attack is undefeated..

2. Using those gimmicks is fun the first or 2nd time, but when a weapon breaks it's faster and easier just to mash with your next weapon.

3. No idea but if I ran into a third I'd rather throw my cart in the trash then spend 20 minutes for the third time using trash motion controls that I was told wouldn't even be in this game.

4. It's just a really shitty middle ground between maps covered with info, and games that actually give you the tools to make a map. It's the worst of both worlds, I have a useless map with a bunch of icons I don't remember what they are even for. Literally NO map + a page to manually draw one would have been better than this. Even the stupid ubisoft open world maps that are just piles of icons are more useful than this.

There is no way 1 its true. Even from the start of the game fighting against blue bokoblins you cant mash because they dont flinch against your weapons until you get better equipment and can kill you before they themselves die. And when you can finally deal with those the game introduces stronger enemies.

Weapon system could be better balanced, in the late game weapons will rarely break and you are forced to drop barely used weapons and grab the new fresh ones from enemies.

Idk who told you therr would not be motion control lmao.

I agree that people saying "this is not like ubisoft games you make your own map here" were exagerating, this is no etrian oddysey, cant even add a note to the map. There are only a few times I felt I needed more from the map, it does its work with the few options you have.

Turrican3

It blows my mind seeing people claim motion-based puzzles in this game are broken due to, infact, motion.

Never ever had any issues with that.

2. Using those gimmicks is fun the first or 2nd time, but when a weapon breaks it's faster and easier just to mash with your next weapon.

4. It's just a really shitty middle ground between maps covered with info, and games that actually give you the tools to make a map. It's the worst of both worlds, I have a useless map with a bunch of icons I don't remember what they are even for. Literally NO map + a page to manually draw one would have been better than this. Even the stupid ubisoft open world maps that are just piles of icons are more useful than this.

It sounds like this game just isn't for you.

2. Faster and easier isn't the goal. I don't know why you would keep mashing the Y button if that's not fun for you, especially when the game has so many other options. You can beat most of the first stages of fighting games by mashing the buttons and not using combos. That strategy isn't going to get you through the game, just like mashing Y won't let you beat this game.

You have the paraglider. You can see Hyrule castle. Go beat the game right now if you're sure of your mashing Y strategy.

4. Your desire for an Ubisoft map goes against the entire design of this game. You don't remember what the map icons mean because they don't have assigned meaning. They're there for you to mark the map when you find something that you might want to return to.

Anteo

It blows my mind seeing people claim motion-based puzzles in this game are broken due to, infact, motion.

Never ever had any issues with that.

I disliked how slow the ball moved inside those. Felt unnatural and hard to solve because of that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people play with the hud and mini map on that devalues the experience.... Do yourselfs a favour and put hud pro on immediately.

Because some of us don't like blindly exploring mostly empty open worlds with slow traversal.

In any open world game I'm fast traveling line a fiend and using the hell out of the gps style navigation most open world games have.

Simply put, I don't like open worlds and just tolerate them when I like the rest of the content. And by tolerate I mean I try to minimize traversal as much as possible. Zelda it's harder to do that as the meat of the game is exploration so I simply didn't like it nearly as much as things like Horizon or Witcher 3 that are story driven and easier to just go from objective marker to objective marker and minimize wasted traversal time.

Zips

Like or not like the game, I don't get why people say things like "I played for 50-100+ hours, and then it got stale" or "I played it for 50+ hours, but don't like it."

I would think you don't need to play a game for (e.g.) 50+ hours to determine whether you want to keep playing or not, and I don't get what's important about saying that eventually you tired of playing. That will happen for everyone with any game, eventually. This is a game that you can 'beat' after the first few hours (once off the plateau), when you feel like doing so. Why don't you take that option if it's getting tired for you?

LotusHD

Banned
Never force yourself to play someone you don't like. If you absolutely hate it, then just stop playing it. If you just feel like you're going through the motions or you're getting bored with it, then consider taking a break.

----

97 is such an inflated Metacritic score. Ridiculous. Reading this thread, it seems the wow factor has worn off for a lot of people and there's a lot of people disappointed with the game and pointing out flaws.

97 Metacritic score. "One of best game of all-time". Absolutely ridiculous.

Lol I dunno why, but you've been so salty over this game since the Review thread, if not earlier.

All I'm reading is OP being disappointed that they don't like a universally acclaimed game. It's okay, it's just not for you. You're not doing anything wrong.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Like or not like the game, I don't get why people say things like "I played for 50-100+ hours, and then it got stale" or "I played it for 50+ hours, but don't like it."

I would think you don't need to play a game for (e.g.) 50+ hours to determine whether you want to keep playing or not, and I don't get what's important about saying that eventually you tired of playing. That will happen for everyone with any game, eventually. This is a game that you can 'beat' after the first few hours (once off the plateau), when you feel like doing so. Why don't you take that option if it's getting tired for you?

Keep in mind that a lot of people bought Switches for it and there wasn't much else to play besides indies (several of which many already owned on other platforms) until recently. So some of it was probably people not digging it but wanting to play with their new toy who didn't care for the other launch window games.

I bought the game when I got my Switch. Everyone I know loves it. A good friend who loves the game said to me "I know you love Zelda games so you might not like this one". That worried me and I still haven't opened it yet lol

I have way too many games to play anyway. I look forward to the day that I brave the unwrapping

Just move on from the game. There's no reason to ever force yourself to play something you don't like or try to reconcile​ your opinion with the critical reception aside for purposes such as trying to figure out your take on a game more specifically.

I bought Switch for Zelda and dropped the game about 60 hours in. I wasn't really feeling it much either even 10-20 hours in (too easy, terrible story, exploration was a hit and miss, too big, terrible side quests etc) but it was a decent enough podcast game until the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo hit. Haven't touched it since and don't really plan on going back to finish it up. And that's​ okay.

Vidiot

I definitely don't hate the game. I'm pretty sure it's my least favorite 3D Zelda though. It has a wonderful sense of adventure but the main quest really needed more effort put into it. Too few dungeons and bosses and what is there are imo the worst dungeons and worst boss fights in the series. The story was the worst of the 3D Zeldas. Also the finale fell flat on its face.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Struggling with it as well. Borrowed the Switch from a friend to play it but I find myself completely disinterested in it. Going to give it a few more tries due to how it's been praised as the best Zelda game ever by so many but man so far I'm just not feeling it.

Why do you guys get so offended when people don't agree with you that BOTW is "the greatest game of all time"?
I don't get offended by people not thinking BoTW is the GOAT. Never have, not once. You can try to source an example from the thirteen pages of my post history since Zelda came out, if you'd like. In those thirteen pages, you can find me engaging in discussion and disagreements over critical consensus, mechanics, specific gaming terminology as it relates to the series, etc. but you won't once find me knocking someone simply for disliking this game that I like, and in fact, you'll find several posts where I explain that I understand specific poster's disappointments with the game. Unless you decide to count that one time I raked you over the coals for posting this: "A game shouldn't "make" you do anything. You should be able to play it however gives you the most enjoyment." to which I can admit I was being a dick, but that quoted sentence still remains the silliest thing I've ever read on GAF relating to game design, as well as the main reason I responded to you then in the first place.

In your response to me here, you intentionally misrepresent what I posted, and what the other person you quoted posted, for that matter. The response of mine that you replied to was adressing Skypunch's notion that BoTW's scores are more or less undermined by negative feedback. All I did was point out that this sort of negative feedback is common for lauded games, with a post that wasn't even combative, much less 'offended'. OrbitalBeard's response to you was literally just a meme, used specifically because you used the exact phrase in the meme.

I do thank you for being yet another proof that most of the people complaining about Nintendo fanboys over these last two months are trying to stretch everything they can find to suit the narratives they're trying to spin, though.

You keep saying I've said this, even though I never have and I've called you on it multiple times.

That's the MO. After all, onlookers don't always require evidence to believe claims that they've heard repeated often enough.

mlclmtckr

Banned
In what way is anything you're countering with here evidence of BOTW setting the new standard? That's what I'm arguing against here, not that these areas of the game aren't at least OK to above average/good.

It does set standards in terms of creativity and interactions between gameplay mechanics (slate powers, weather, etc.). That's about all I can say for it.

What? I provided examples of how things like the music, characters etc were considered best in class or innovative. Isn't that what we're talking about?

Top Bottom