• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Underrated Album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sebastian-total.jpeg

Sebastian - Total.

It got mixed reviews when it was first released, but I really like this album. It's rough around the edges, and you can just feel the aggression on tracks with that fuzzy sound left intact on them. "Motor", "Embody", "Jack Wire", "CTFO", "Tetra", and more are just really great and distinct tracks that fit this eclectic album. It's a French House take on different song types that I really adore. I hope he comes out with a second album soon.

elguero

Good pick OP and others.

I've never been a huge fan of screamo but On the Might of Prince's Where You Are and Where You Want to Be is a staple of the genre in my opinion. They came out of the strong early century Long Island emo scene that gave us Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, etc. but OTMOP's music was so much more raw and dynamic, shifting from hushed vocals and soft chord progressions to screaming vocals and heavy riffs. Jason Rosenthal's lyrics were extremely personal and vulnerable, centering around themes of regret and alcoholism. Due to Rosenthal's heroin addiction and tragic early death the band was not able to tour enough to become a known name at the national level but I think anyone that has an appreciation for screamo will love Where You Are..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdsjDz-_fY

3cb6b983fd104e16ce4496963c2e9147.jpg

kris.

Banned
Good pick OP and others.

I've never been a huge fan of screamo but On the Might of Prince's Where You Are and Where You Want to Be is a staple of the genre in my opinion. They came out of the strong early century Long Island emo scene that gave us Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, etc. but OTMOP's music was so much more raw and dynamic, shifting from hushed vocals and soft chord progressions to screaming vocals and heavy riffs. Jason Rosenthal's lyrics were extremely personal and vulnerable, centering around themes of regret and alcoholism. Due to Rosenthal's heroin addiction and tragic early death the band was not able to tour enough to become a known name at the national level but I think anyone that has an appreciation for screamo will love Where You Are..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdsjDz-_fY

oooooh i'm for sure checking this out, sounds really good

Parch

Seeing Yes - Drama mentioned makes me smile, even though I'm not so sure it's considered underrated. Love Yes.

My choice would be Roger Hodgson - Eye of the Storm
He's said he regrets not fighting to keep the Supertramp name because it significantly affected his solo career. He's still touring though. Eye of the Storm is a really fun album for Supertramp fans.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
SmashingPumpkins-Adore.jpg

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
second best SP album. the grunge fans left with Billy's hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYY8DxVZHE

Absolutely with you there. I adore Adore.

MI0003993702.jpg

Reveal usually gets glanced over or shrugged off by R.E.M. fans who don't give it a fair shake. It's got the stigma of being part of the post Bill Berry era, and coming after Up, which turned off some people from the band (also underrated, but more flawed. Some songs should have been left as B-sides) and before Around the Sun, which is probably R.E.M.'s blandest album. It often gets forgotten sandwiched between those two. Reveal has a lot of great songs and this distinct summer on drugs kind of sound to it, but usually ends up very low on album ranking lists where the one ranking it can't even drum up much to say about the album (probably because they didn't give it a fair listen).

I'd also list Monster, but that's been getting more respect in recent times.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Taylor McFerrin - Early Riser (Electronica)
Taylor_McFerrin_-_Early_Riser.jpg

Critics were mad lukewarm with the album. I'm like this thing was damn near AOTY. It was certainly better than the much higher rated Flying Lotus' "You're Dead" (not to imply it was bad in any way)

Machine

Adore is usually my go-to on this subject, but that's been mentioned so...

Bowie-lodger.jpg

Also just about anything from Nick Drake, Van Morrison or George Harrison. I never hear them brought up like ever. Pink Moon and Astral Weeks are two albums I listen to constantly.

Van Morrison is so good. His run of albums from Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band and Street Choir, to Tupelo Honey is amazing and he has lots of other great albums throughout the '70s, '80s and early '90s.

Jeff_Buckley_-_Sketches_for_My_Sweetheart_the_Drunk.jpg

For underrated I'd have to go with Jeff Buckleys Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk.
Grace was such an incredible debut, and apparently Buckley recorded this album, then scrapped it before he died. It was a huge departure from Grace and I remember being disappointed by it at first, but the more I listened to it the more i love it. The 2nd disc is a write off of crappy demos, but disc 1 has incredible tracks like Vancouver, The sky is a landfill, Nightmares by the sea, etc.

Altazor

For me it's Night at the Opera from Blind Guardian. Decade and a half and I've only ever met one person who's even aware of it and I've met 0 people who even care.

And Then There Was Silence is my jam.

Underrated or not, it's probably the last Blind Guardian album I truly love. A Twist in the Myth was a disappointment IMHO, especially after that long wait, and the two latest albums have some damn good songs but there's something about them that keeps me from falling for them completely.

cGU5fEe.jpg

Yes - Drama

Purists rip it cuz it's not Jon Anderson, but I think it's one of the most pivotal album of the 1980s. A true melding of prog and pop.

Fuck yeah. I know there's no Anderson nor Wakeman but IDGAF, Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are some of the best things they ever did. Fuck the purists.

Sebastian - Total.

It got mixed reviews when it was first released, but I really like this album. It's rough around the edges, and you can just feel the aggression on tracks with that fuzzy sound left intact on them. "Motor", "Embody", "Jack Wire", "CTFO", "Tetra", and more are just really great and distinct tracks that fit this eclectic album. It's a French House take on different song types that I really adore. I hope he comes out with a second album soon.

Oh fuck yes. Sebastian is one of my favorite French house artists.

Has he said anything about another album?

For me it's Night at the Opera from Blind Guardian. Decade and a half and I've only ever met one person who's even aware of it and I've met 0 people who even care.

And Then There Was Silence is my jam.

Amazing album! Very underrated, tons of great songs.

SeanC

tumblr_m7342jkCmF1radabho1_1280.jpg

The heyday was over, the fall from grace was written about, the well received ish 'Dont Believe the Truth' had been and gone and this swansong from Oasis is barely mentioned.

Falling Down, The Turning (especially the alt Noel version), a barnstorming Bag It Up, The Shock Of The Lightning and generally the whole album flows well.

Sure it won't convert people but it was an exceptionally solid body of work and if released by a bunch of unknowns would have been heralded as the start of something special.

Oasis are one of my favorite bands, and this album never get's old to me. Honestly both of Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds albums were pretty underrated as well. He is a great songwriter.

Jeff_Buckley_-_Sketches_for_My_Sweetheart_the_Drunk.jpg

For underrated I'd have to go with Jeff Buckleys Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk.
Grace was such an incredible debut, and apparently Buckley recorded this album, then scrapped it before he died. It was a huge departure from Grace and I remember being disappointed by it at first, but the more I listened to it the more i love it. The 2nd disc is a write off of crappy demos, but disc 1 has incredible tracks like Vancouver, The sky is a landfill, Nightmares by the sea, etc.

Morning Theft is the best song on there. The 2nd disc is weaker but I still enjoy it.

My pick would be Foals - Total Life Forever. I couldn't get into at first but now it's my favourite album of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom