• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of gaming articles do you guys want to see?

Corian33

So everyone complains about current gaming journalism, and for good reason because most of it is garbage. That said, what are examples of great articles that you enjoyed reading and why?

I want to write some gaming articles myself, purely as a creative exercise and not in an attempt to make money from clicks or anything. I wrote reviews for a small website in the past but I found it to be a chore. The most fun I had was in writing more about the experience than an actual scored type of review. I was wanting to get back into it after a few years and was looking for inspiration, like styles of articles that people want to see.

Also, just thought it would be an interesting conversation to have in general.

SEGA_2012

I like reviews, i just don't trust modern journalism. The only people i trust are Classic Game Room and Classic Game Room Undertow.

ViolentP

The journalism is fine. It’s the readers that invest themselves too much into the ones that don’t resonate with them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Either talk about the gameplay or discuss the games themselves especially when it comes to their lore and coming up with theories on where the story will lead to. The trend of using gaming as a "political platform" to forward some agenda is quite tiresome.

I'd also focus more on the games and the devs behind them and not the names of the corporate giants that publish them.

Kind of why other forums that talk about game world's in detail is much more interesting and engaging then sales data or how many frames per second you could get if you overclocked your PC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just gaming news like you see in sites like siliconera and gematsu, that’s where I get most of my gaming news.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean I really wish we could get gaming news like the good old days of Andriasang. Where it was gaming news from the well known to the very niche and obscure.

Kuranghi

So everyone complains about current gaming journalism, and for good reason because most of it is garbage. That said, what are examples of great articles that you enjoyed reading and why?

I want to write some gaming articles myself, purely as a creative exercise and not in an attempt to make money from clicks or anything. I wrote reviews for a small website in the past but I found it to be a chore. The most fun I had was in writing more about the experience than an actual scored type of review. I was wanting to get back into it after a few years and was looking for inspiration, like styles of articles that people want to see.

Also, just thought it would be an interesting conversation to have in general.

This is the reason why I liked Rock Paper Shotgun articles 10-15 years ago, go and have a read of some of those, like "Mine the Gap" by Quintin Smith for example. There are others but I can't remember the name of them and no real way to search them up.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Articles with strong opinions that don’t beat around the bush.

Articles that scathe and make examples of shitty practices.

Interview with actual hard and direct questions

I dont need news. Twitter has it first.

Last edited:

Tams

I don't want social commentary, unless the game is very overtly going for that.

I play games mostly to escape all that.

there's that thing about 'knowing how the sausage is made'. it's been a while now since i've really had any interest in knowing how games are made. instead, i prefer either enjoy the sausage or not, & leaving it at that...

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mainly just news. Reviews are useless because they're mostly just paid ads these days. I'll get impressions from actual gameplay on twitch and YouTube. But seriously, we don't even need games journalism these days when Twitter is out there.

StueyDuck

All gaming related media has essentially been rendered pointless since online media has taken off. Unless a site genuinely has some first look preview content, everything else they put out is utterly pointless.

having new age 20 something at IGN going "IT YA BOI SCOPEYMON" and recanting the news we've all read and heard ages before is meaningless. but as others have said getting more behind the scenes vid docs or genuine interviews with developers would be a decent change in the overall games journalism industry.

Who gives a fuck that someone at Kotaku is offended either, that shit needs to die fast.

Wildebeest

I mostly watch retro gaming stuff on youtube. Nerdier the better. I like reading stuff on game design, but if it is just repeating current AAA trends and conventional wisdom, then I don't really care.

Top Bottom