• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What music depresses you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually on a hunt (again!) for music. I've been listening a lot to Michael Andrew's contribution to Donnie Darko along with The Smiths, Red House Painters, The Cure, and Tears for Fears. Anyway, these songs really seem to mellow me out

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Michael Andrews & Gary Jules - Mad World (or course)
Red House Painters - Golden
Tears for Fearas - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Cure - To Wish Impossible Things
Red House Painters - Drop

and just about anything by Rosie Thomas

Jason

B000009VOL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Moonshiner
Metal Heart
No Sense
He Turns Down

;_;

Triumph

Banned
Well, uh, there's some music that is sad that I like. But there is some music that depresses me from it's very existence: trance, emo and pop. There's just no call for that crap.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
i love depressing music, just like i love depressing movies.

some of my favorites:

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - How Near, How Far
Tool - Disposition
Alice in Chains - god, almost their entire library...specifically: Nutshell, Don't Follow, Rain When I Die, Rotten Apple, We Die Young, Down in a Hole
Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do?
Neil Young - My My, Hey Hey
Onesidezero - Sleep Through This
Pink Floyd - Goodbye Blue Sky
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence, Bridge over Troubled Water, For Emily Wherever I May Find Her, The Boxer
Slipknot - Vermillion Pt. 2 (STFU DONT LAUGH, DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN)
Stone Sour - Bother

Eminem said:
Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

That reminds me of "Cat's in the Cradle" and Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover". Yeah depressing music and movies kick ass for some reason. They help to minimize the problems in your life so you can stop caring for a while. Like I said I'd been watching Donnie Darko. Now I want to see something else melancholy ; p

MC Safety

Tom Waits -- Pony, House where nobody lives, Who are you?, A little rain, Hold on

Warren Zevon -- This time I have to leave, My Ride's here, Ourselves to know, Carmelita, Desperadoes under the eaves, Accidentally like a martyr, Reconsider me

Jason said:
B000009VOL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Moonshiner
Metal Heart
No Sense
He Turns Down

;_;

Props, I was going to nominate that album. If depression were a human being capable of playing music, Moon Pix would be the result.

Oh and "Asleep" by The Smiths crushes me whenever I hear it.

Radiohead - Let Down, Fake Plastic Trees, Creep
Alice In Chains - Like Enimem said...most of their songs
Pearl Jam - Black
Pink Floyd - Again, much of their music
Soundgarden - The Day I Tried to Live, Like Suicide, Black Hole Sun
Metallica - Fade To Black

Eminem said:
i love depressing music, just like i love depressing movies.

some of my favorites:

Alice in Chains - god, almost their entire library...specifically: Nutshell, Don't Follow, Rain

Oddly enough, the fact it's not nihilistic and short-sighted keeps it from being depressing to me. I love AiC for that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Artists: Nick Drake, Cat Power, Leonard Cohen.

Songs:

Cat Power-
"Colors and the Kids"
"In This Hole"
"Names"
Really almost anything by Cat Power.

Nick Drake-
"Which Will"
"Fly"

Flaming Lips, "Chewin the Apple of Your Eye" (for one really great line)

Modest Mouse-
"Baby Blue Sedan"
"Lives"

Smog, "It's Rough"

The Softies, "The Places We Go"

fallout

It's weird, I don't think any music actually depresses me, although I do listen to quite a bit of "depressing" music. Whatever though, that's just a case of semantics I guess. Most of the good stuff has been listed, but here are a couple more.

Type O ... that dark sense of humour just makes me smile everytime I'm feeling down. Oh, and if you're looking for some sadly toned acoustic stuff, Opeth - Damnation. The whole album is gold if it's what you're looking for.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Greenday. If i hear boulevard of broken dreams ONE more time, I will kill myself. Thats how depressing music can be!

There's a few more that come to mind now

Sleep Station - All That Remains
Sleep Station - A Final Prayer 2
Ben harper - Another Lonely Day
Ben Harper - Alone
Modest Mouse - Never Ending Math Equation

I wouldn't say Jack Johnson because his rhythms are more upbeat. Ben Harper is the darker side of the two, definitely.

It's strange - a lot of the stuff some people say is depressing I really love because it makes me happy: Muse for example or The Smiths and Radiohead which have already been mentioned.

Sure, they're not Andrew WK in the happy stakes, but I get a kick out of em all the same.

What really depresses me is the more methodical emo crap (sing - scream - sing - repeat), and metal bands that go really bad (or ones you realise weren't ever good in the first place).

Anything by Korn, Staind (their lead singer is a fucking Elmer Fudd-looking creep), Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Evenesence, or any whiney, angsty crybaby shit. It's not the music itself that depresses me, but the fact that people actually listen to it, when they could be enjoying good music.

aoi tsuki

"Cats in the Cradle" has to be the saddest song that i really enjoy hearing, especially

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me,
He’d grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

Just hearing that makes me wanna cry.

Music commonly dubbed "depressing" is anything but to me if it's of good quality. I find rubbish music depressing, regardless of the mood it conveys.

ToxicAdam

Mr. Spinnington said:
There's a few more that come to mind now

Ben harper - Another Lonely Day
Ben Harper - Alone

I wouldn't say Jack Johnson because his rhythms are more upbeat. Ben Harper is the darker side of the two, definitely.

Also add in Please Bleed (acoustic) by Ben Harper.

I'm not sure if i can stress how awesome these songs are, if you are into depressing music.

This one is easy, sad lyrics and beautiful but very sad melody, probably the saddest song I've ever heard............

Seasons In The Sun
( Terry Jacks )

Goodbye to you my trusted friend
We've known each other since we were nine or ten
Together we climbed hills and trees
Learned of love and A B C's
Skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.

Goodbye my friend it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and I'll be there

We had joy we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed were just seasons
Out of time......

Goodbye Papa please pray for me
I was the black sheep of the family
You tried to teach me right from wrong
Too much wine and too much song
Wonder how I got along.

Goodbye Papa its hard to die
Little children everywhere
When you see them I'll be there.

We had joy we had fun
But the wine and the song like the seasons
Have all gone.

We had joy we had fun
Have all gone.

Goodbye Michelle my little one
You gave me love and helped me find the sun
And every time that I was down
You would always come around
And get my feet back on the ground.

Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die
With the flowers everywhere
I wish that we could both be there

We had joy we had fun
But the stars we could reach
Were just starfish on the beach

We had joy we had fun
But the stars we could reach
Were just starfish on the beach

We had joy we had fun
Have all gone

All our lives we had fun
But the hills that we climbed were just seasons
Out of time......

We had joy we had fun

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Atmosphere- Summer Song
Scream of the smile and choke boy choke Passion come death, and death bring power At the top of the hour we sing for the monster And here she goes, with that look in her eyes The souls of those that got took by surprise Crooked little smile that clings to her lips On a night like this I sing for the bitch (Chorus) Just a lonely summer Slowly dying I was smiling hard But I was lying

Eyedea- Bottled Dreams
[Chorus]And everyday she'd go to the river with a message in a bottle sayin' Please, God help me I don't wanna live to see tommarow' Each day she'd scrounge for a tiny shread of hope Just to wish the bottle would stay afloatBut every single solitary day, the bottle seems to sink I don't know why but the bottle always sinks She never sees it happen, but the bottle always sinks Now only the bottom of the river knows what she really thinks
Being a victim of her daddy's hands for so longShe lost the will to move onSick of picking up her violin to hide from what's wrongExausted, but stayin strongShe tried to play the bright side, but couldn't bring herself to make nothing but sad songsSick of that sick feeling that stays in her stomachSick of waiting for a rescue by someone who found one of her bottlesSick of being daddy's little seceretShe got up at the crack of day and smashed her violin into piecesThen proceeded to walk towards the river with a planOnly this time the diary bottle was in her handJust walk with herself, away from the hellNot no one at the river bottom liein in all the cries for helpIt was weeks before they found her dead bodySome fisherman reeled it from the waterlike something from a detective novelDiagonosis: suicide, stemed from desperationWas near where she drowned they found about 500 messages in sunken bottles
:(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I think Joe Budden just made me cry :(

The last track off Clinton Sparks cd called Whatever It Takes

7 minutes of pure depression. No Hooks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom