• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What N64/PS1 games hold up best today, graphically?

Kallor

Graphics champ two gens in a row between it and the Xbox version:
NGL2---Conker-Bad-Fur-Day.jpg

Artstyle-Wise, I think Animal Crossing on the Nintendo 64 still looks fantastic. It also had way too many items for the system it was on.
llqBmmZ.jpg
gzAUbJM.jpg
Uw9kiio.jpg

Beaten! Just entered the thread to mention this game. The textures are also really well designed and hold up well in a timeless way, like RR: Type 4.

Otherwise I really like the games that either look clean, or have excellent lighting (I think Perfect Dark has aged well due to its lighting, both on N64 and 360 version with more polys and better textures)

Good texture design hides the lack of a Z Buffer in PS1 games (again, Ridge Racer Type 4!), and great lighting prevents N64 games from looking flat, also making them look much better in motion (Battle for Naboo, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, New Tetris etc) than in stills.

Edit: Wave Race 64's dynamic water is still a sight to behold, and the physics of the vehicles and how they react to waves and so on still impresses today https://youtu.be/dGy3x_pcAbs?t=393

orborborb

N64
Banjo Kazooie
Beetle Adventure Racing
Perfect Dark

PS1
R-Type Delta
Ridge Racer Type 4
Final Fantasy IX

but to me Astal, Killer Instinct Gold, Turok 2, Oddworld, and Jet Force Gemini would be examples of games which have NOT held up graphically

UnPremierAmour

Neo Member
I'm probably in the extreme minority when I say it, but, to me, Tamagotchi 64 looks amazing, admittedly I have a huge soft spot for video games that use 2D sprite graphics and mix it with 3D backgrounds (Which is why I also love games like Paper Mario so much).
OwA6Jhp.jpg
UQFUXxN.jpg
zHioBzb.jpg
5Hp3R6s.jpg
rBrziRr.jpg
w2KWjYY.jpg

And what about Shiren 2, also on the Nintendo 64 (note, Shiren 2 isn't the full title, it's not even 20% of it) looks pretty okay now, though a bit barren. I love the very earthy colour palette is uses.
gNYMSpw.jpg
Tbduej5.jpg
nyPNeMX.jpg

bSXNgOu.jpg
LLQ35tE.jpg
37Q1Cv5.jpg

Goemon Sugoroku of Mononoke also looks quite nice, though, it is made on only 2D sprites, so it's expected.
Ganbare_Goemon_-_Mononoke_Sugoroku.jpg
mononoke-2.jpg
mononoke-3.jpg
mononoke-4.jpg

Also, notice that all of the above games that I just posted are all heavily sprite-based games, haha. Well, Shiren 2 has 3D backgrounds and 3D objects in said backgrounds, so eh.

Top Bottom