• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What N64/PS1 games hold up best today, graphically?

Devil's Third.
CJ95-wMWEAARJRt.png

Madao

F-Zero X is interesting because it holds up thanks to being a 60 fps game. the game's pictures look like nothing special but it's a game that shines when being played.

RiZ III

I started playing Zelda OoT and thought it still looked fantastic. It's amazing because when I stopped to look at things, everythjng is using a super low res blurry texture, but props to the artists because they still made it look good.

When i started playing conkers bad fur day i was shocked at how good it looked for its time. It was nearly early ps2 quality visually.

RedSwirl

Until we achieve photorealism I think having good art direction will always be more important than realism. Ironically, it's important for some games to still push that realism envelope so we'll actually get there someday. It's just that all those games in the attempt will someday look like shit. Even Crysis 3 at max settings will look like shit one day.

And man, I really want some JRPG developer to do the Pillars of Eternity thing and make hand-drawn or pre-rendered backgrounds but in 1080p.

I think the PS1 and Saturn hold up way better than the N64 because there are way more 2d games on those consoles. 2d games are almost timeless in their look (gameplay is another thing though lol).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wonder Project J2 on the Nintendo 64 still looks absolutely stunning. :)
[Screenshots taken from Darkangel's post on the thread "How much more powerful was the N64 compared to the PlayStation anyway?", page 21, made in 2012.]

018.png
220.png
570.png

509.png
025.png
220.png

These look wonderful.

MrBadger

Mighty No. 9.

On a serious note, a lot of sprite-based games on PS1 hold up wonderfully. For all the flaws of the original Rayman, the visuals still look great. I wish there were more sprite-based games in that era.

Ciel1PC.png

If we're talking 3D, I still think Crash Warped looks pretty damn good

latest

Glix

I cant really deal with people posting screens from emulators with filter, upped rez, etc...

really defeats the purpose of a thread like this..

On topic...

Gran Turismo

Fear Effect

Omega Boost

Mario 64

Terrell

3ry6bV3.png

Tetrisphere (N64) still looks hot.

Oh man, I want another one so bad. And no, Shatter Crash for iOS doesn't fucking count.

The PS1 still had some of the best sprite work for the era imo. Especially megaman X4

Clearly you didn't ever play a Saturn game in your life, then. No, Saturn was the king of sprite-based games in that era, just not enough games that took advantage of it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Banjo looks relatively OK, as does F-Zero X.

Gardex

The Crash Bandicoot games is an obvious choice.
2D games like Yoshi's Story and Rayman are also up there

I'd also like to vouch for the Pokemon Stadium games as they had extremely good looking models

th4tguy

I think mixed 2D/3D RPG visuals pretty much peaked with Breath of Fire 4.

Just gotta watch out for emulator screenshots that completely ruin the coherence between the 2D and 3D assets.
Now if only we could get bof3 for psp (digital) here in the states.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Played in their original form and not running on an emulator that's improving everything?

I'd say nothing outside of 2D sprite based games.

Irminsul

36991-Heart_of_Darkness_[Disc1of2]_[U]-4.jpg

Plus other similar games like abes odysee and exodus.
Oh yeah, Heart of Darkness still looks nice. I wonder whether I could get the PC version to run which I have somewhere…

Also, I don't think there's another game with that many creative death animations, especially as you're playing a kid.

8b836d2a958f6b9c72fbc5cce792df19.jpg

I still think Vagrant Story looks good today. The artstyle and presentation is just fantastic.

Can't agree more with this: I find its grafics really timeless. Anyway I think a lot of PS games (don't know about N64, 'cause I didn't have the console) still look great, from the Crash trilogy to Klonoa, from Wip3out to RR4 to Micromachines.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Best Looking N64 games
1. Turok: Rage Wars
2. Shadowman 64
3. Forsaken 64
4. World Driver Championship

People mention RARE and Factor 5, but those games ran at like 10 frames per second. Acclaim's Iguana and Probe teams had quite the grip on N64 hardware.

Glix

I had to come back in here to agree with:

Heart of Darkness and the first two oddworld games still look great.

The last time i played Wild 9s i remember being very impressed.

Also South Park Chefs Luv Shack is a shitty shitty game but looks just like the cartoon. (Im in the credits of the n64 rev! My only credits appearance!)

Top Bottom