• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What old games did you grow up with...

bender

What time is it?
Computing in the 80s with Sierra's Adventure games. They were brutal but I still love Police Quest, Kings Quest and especially Space Quest.

ShadowNate

Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon 1 and 2, Karateka, Alley Cat, Rockford, Titus the Fox, Xenon 2 Megablast, Bruce Lee, King's Quest III, Quest for Glory (So you want to be a hero?)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
NES games like SMB3 and SNES games like Zelda Alttp and Donkey Kong Country. Also PC games like DOOM, Quake and the Lucas adventure games.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
OMZjOtL.gif
7fqyJTs.gif

Also Amiga 500 games

Like the terminator 2 games and zombie apocalypse. Battle tanx was good too.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I could list 100s of games that I grew up with from the NES, Megadrive and PS1. But here is one that first came to mind for some reason....

f0jJEyd.png

PCVX2HW.jpg

Havoc2049

A few come to mind. I was an Atari (800/ST) kid growing up. Of course I had consoles too, but these are some lesser known gems.

The Eidolon:

iu

Alternate Reality:

140522.jpg

Phantasie:

iu
Excellent taste in games. The first four Lucasfilm Games; Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, The Eidolon and Kronis Rift on the Atari 8-bit were excellent.

The Phantasie trilogy is such an underrated classic. It was the first JRPG, before the genre even existed. It had an overworld map, zoomed in dungeon maps, turned based combat on a separate screen and a victory dance when your team won the battle. The ST version of the Phantasie trilogy is the best as well.

From my collection:
7j2LNEf.jpeg

rxGT3cL.jpeg

eceWGJJ.jpeg

fart town usa

Gold Member
I remember playing old PC titles when I was young on these systems

Sky Roads
txdNNMa.jpg

BinhKgd.jpg
So good, so insanely good. I really wish this game was available on modern consoles. I've seen a few modern games that completely rip off the game but footage of them look rough as hell and I don't want to spend $20 only to be disappointed.

The OST is fantastic as well.

I stumbled on this game when abandonware was a big thing, probably mid to late 90s. Downloaded tons of PC games and Sky Roads was easily one of my favorites.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
22244-are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-the-tale-of-orpheo-s-curse-dos-front-cover.jpg

This game is awesome, point and click but solid graphics and it plays out just like an episode of the show.

I beat it without any guides, was super proud of myself. The full game came with our first PC, a forest green Acer Aspire. Played a ton of abandonware on that PC, good times.

Sam & Max Hit the Road was another favorite of mine.

Yoda Stories was awesome too, and the Indiana Jones one. They were so simple but addicting as hell.

Last edited:
Started with this gem. Literally baby's first racing game.
8rA107u.jpg

Grandpa bought this after heart attack #5 to keep busy. Eventually he got used to only having 1/5 of his heart working and gave it to us, built a garage then died.
n9Vp5QU.jpg

Not sure where it came from but this was a staple around the house growing up.
Q5sEYkD.jpg

Interestingly, I just recently found both at a local game shop in really nice shape and got them for my older brother for his birthday.

Also had this one along with a bunch of Tiger handheld games like Castlevania and Karnov.
4EXQeJY.jpg

Grandma bought us a Tandy 1000SL
3CUYQta.jpg

Space Quest
Family Feud
Thexder
Janitor Joe
Red Baron
etc...

We got an NES pretty late to the party. Started with Super Mario Bros. and went from there.
HMuEoWt.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Excellent taste in games. The first four Lucasfilm Games; Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, The Eidolon and Kronis Rift on the Atari 8-bit were excellent.

The Phantasie trilogy is such an underrated classic. It was the first JRPG, before the genre even existed. It had an overworld map, zoomed in dungeon maps, turned based combat on a separate screen and a victory dance when your team won the battle. The ST version of the Phantasie trilogy is the best as well.

From my collection:
7j2LNEf.jpeg

rxGT3cL.jpeg

eceWGJJ.jpeg

Jaguar controller?

Havoc2049

Jaguar controller?
Yes and no. 😜

The Atari STE (Enhanced) and Atari Falcon (32-bit) computers had controller ports added to the left side of the computers, the same ports that ended up on the Jaguar. They released the Atari Power Pad for their computer line, in matching grey, which is just like the Jaguar controller and they can be interchanged. There are only around 10-20 games that have controller support for the STE and Falcon. The STE came out in late 1989 and the Falcon came out in early 1993, while Jaguar came out in late '93. The Power Pad came out after the Falcon was released, but I'm not sure which came out first, the Power Pad or the Jag Pad.

Substation, released in 1995, is a first person shooter for STE/Falcon and supports the Power Pad/Jag Pad.
jFfR3zu.jpeg

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Yes and no. 😜

The Atari STE (Enhanced) and Atari Falcon (32-bit) computers had controller ports added to the left side of the computers, the same ports that ended up on the Jaguar. They released the Atari Power Pad for their computer line, which is just like the Jaguar controller and they can be interchanged. There are only around 10-20 games that have controller support for the STE and Falcon. The STE came out in late 1989 and the Falcon came out in early 1993, while Jaguar came out in late '93. The Power Pad came out after the Falcon was released, but I'm not sure which came out first, the Power Pad or the Jag Pad.

Substation, released in 1995, is a first person shooter for STE/Falcon and supports the Power Pad/Jag Pad.
jFfR3zu.jpeg

Very interesting!

Top Bottom