• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What options do we have for PS5 Storage?

FranXico

I'm the average Joe and it was super easy. Also there were stores that could make this for you, i think it was like 10 bucks.
Ok, cool.

Then I'll be just as liberal when talking about Vita storage. After all, it is SO easy to hack and get a micro SD adaptor for it. Average Joe can do it, so being proprietary means nothing!

Last edited:

GHG

I'm the average Joe and it was super easy. Also there were stores that could make this for you, i think it was like 10 bucks.

I can build an entire PC in less steps than the ones listed on the link I posted but ok, do what you gotta do I guess.

Doing all that and then still being supportive of proprietary solutions is some Stockholm syndrome level shit.

Ok, cool.

Then I'll be just as liberal when talking about Vita storage. After all, it is SO easy to hack and get a micro SD adaptor for it. Average Joe can do it, so being proprietary means nothing!

Didn't you know? The average Joe can hack their way around a proprietary solution but at the same time they don't have the capability to install a standard off the shelf drive.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I can build an entire PC in less steps than the ones listed on the link I posted but ok, do what you gotta do I guess.

Doing all that and then still being supportive of proprietary solutions is some Stockholm syndrome level shit.
Of course you can. Some LEGO sets are more complicated than building a Pc nowadays. And to make that clear, i don't care about storage this gen. I don't have more than 2-3 games installed. I would be fine with a XSS. But i don't get all the whining about the expansion card. I'm sure there will be cheaper solutions in the near future.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Compression is working fine and all PS4 games can be installed on an external drive (which is reallistically almost all games that can be played on the PS5 so far).
However, Sony should have whitelisted a number of 7GB/s-read NVMe drives on launch day, and the fact that we're over 5 months in without being able to expand the available ~650GB is starting to feel inexcusable at this point.

Last edited:
I suppose my options could be to install any PS4 games on an external drive, but that defeats the purpose of using the updated versions of these games at times
First, you can move the PS4 games from one to the other by ticking a box in the system settings, you should get one for those you don't care too much about, or where it doesn't make much difference.

USB works pretty well for base PS4 games, even a desktop 7200rpm drive makes loading "faster" for these games, if you put one on an external SSD you will be pretty close in terms of loading (they're using the old APIs, they don't take advantage of the new drive much, which means that I/O is not the most important bottleneck).

Zeroing

Banned
Saving this thread for when I finally get one. Sony really needs to stop remaking their OS every time they launch a console. Too little time to implement basic features quick enough.

Also how can some people defend the dick move of Microsoft by making expendable ssd proprietary? No wonder they keep doing it.... they did it on the past. We xbox users like to suffer... it's an abusing relationship.
I mean, did Sony get away with it, when they did it on the Vita? nope.

Am I exaggerating? Possibly. I mean look at my self portrait, I do not have blue hair....

I need to stop drinking coffee.

smbu2000

Saving this thread for when I finally get one. Sony really needs to stop remaking their OS every time they launch a console. Too little time to implement basic features quick enough.

Also how can some people defend the dick move of Microsoft by making expendable ssd proprietary? No wonder they keep doing it.... they did it on the past. We xbox users like to suffer... it's an abusing relationship.

Am I exaggerating? Possibly. I mean look at my self portrait, I do not have blue hair....

Well MS did say they would be opening things up for other manufacturers to make the propriety Series X/S ssd, they just wanted to be able to have something at launch which is why they partnered with Seagate. Which is something that Sony hasn’t been able to do so far.

The ssd is only required for Series X/S games. It is easy to use external storage for BC X1 games. I just moved my 4TB external USB drive over from my X1X to my XSX and the games work just fine. I only have some stuff on the internal 1tb ssd.

Zeroing

Banned
Well MS did say they would be opening things up for other manufacturers to make the propriety Series X/S ssd, they just wanted to be able to have something at launch which is why they partnered with Seagate. Which is something that Sony hasn’t been able to do so far.

The ssd is only required for Series X/S games. It is easy to use external storage for BC X1 games. I just moved my 4TB external USB drive over from my X1X to my XSX and the games work just fine. I only have some stuff on the internal 1tb ssd.
It is still proprietary and it's bad.
yeah Sony needs to move faster, wait, you cannot move ps4 games to an external hard drive on the PS5 ?

vkbest

The best and cheapest option, is simply have installed the game you play often, occasionally or you will play soon. Don't install Witcher 3 if you dont think to play on the 3 next months. I dont know what are you installing, but I have multiple games installed on my PS5 and I have 100GB free. If tomorrow I need more space I have like 5 candidates to be removed.

Last edited:

FranXico

So you cant move a PS5 game from internal to external to archive it, then move it back if you want to play it?
No, this hasn't been implemented yet AFAIK. PS5 games have to stay in the internal SSD for the time being. PS4 games can pretty much be copied around and launched from any drive, though.

Gatox

Banned
No, this hasn't been implemented yet AFAIK. PS5 games have to stay in the internal SSD for the time being. PS4 games can pretty much be copied around and launched from any drive, though.
Thats odd, what was the reason for that? I cant see what would stop a game being moved from internal to external and back again. I understand why they cant be run from the external, same as the Xbox, but not why storing them is a problem.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Anyone else still getting errors on their ps5 when using an external ssd nvme drive with rest mode? I often get an error msg that the drive wasn't disconnected properly and has to rebuild when waking up from rest mode. It only takes a few seconds to rebuild but still annoying.

Currently I've just been keeping my external adata se800 disconnected from the ps5 and only connecting it when I need to transfer a ps4 game to the system to play. Hopefully they fix this issue with external drives and rest mode soon.

sainraja

Having no option but to pay premium prices for the duration of a generation just so that you can have 6-9 months of feature "bragging rights" over the competition.

Seems like a reasonable trade off to me. We shall remember this period fondly.

I think Microsoft wanted to reduce the friction of adding additional storage (that is what they prioritized), the likely reason they went with a proprietary storage option. I don't see this happening but if external storage can reach the speeds necessary for the new consoles, I can see Microsoft of today supporting that as well; so you could basically avoid paying a high cost for the storage card. Who knows they might be able to reduce cost for it too? But I dunno, I don't think they ever did with the X360.

let's see and wait in what price range the SSDs will be that will be supported on PS5

Starting prices will most likely equal that of the expansion card that Microsoft has (they might just be a little less) but the idea is that the cost will go down over time. That is the advantage of going with a non-proprietary format.

Last edited:

sainraja

lol you do realise memory gets cheaper as a generation goes. How much is a 4tb portable hdd now compared to 2013?

Between Microsoft's custom proprietary option and non-proprietary storage options, which do you think will drop in price quicker? Traditionally, the proprietary formats hardly, if ever, go down in price. Perhaps on sale every now and then but they usually never drop in price. You seem to understand that prices get cheaper so you should understand the advantage non-proprietary storage options have.

Last edited:

Garani

I would just be happy if Sony would allow off-loading of PS5 games to the external PS4 drives. This would just open up a lot of opportunities.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would just be happy if Sony would allow off-loading of PS5 to external PS4 drives. This would just open up a lot of opportunities.

Has there ever been a reasonable explanation why this is not possible already? This should have been implemented at launch.

I have half of CoD BO installed and jesus does this game take up the space on my Digital console, is there going to be a SSD availible at any point soon to upgrade to?

I suppose my options could be to install any PS4 games on an external drive, but that defeats the purpose of using the updated versions of these games at times
What is the Size of Black ops and warzone together and seperate??

I was finally able o order a ps5 cant wait

Jaysen

Banned

Yeah they did it in the past, which didn't stop the flood of really cheap 360 HDs.

Garani

Has there ever been a reasonable explanation why this is not possible already? This should have been implemented at launch.
Nope. They just don't talk about it, and it seems that no one is asking about it.

I do get it that this feature can wait, and there are better things to do, but just with PS+ games we are actually filling up SSDs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Probably linked to when they open up PS5 games to the expansion bay and they want to tackle both at the same time.

They have always been a snails pace with their firmware features.

Calverz

Already talked about that in this thread.

Enjoy your proprietary sub-economy.
Lol ok dude.
i’ll actually enjoy both thanks. Still think xbox took the better option. Take the card out and plug into another xbox and play instantly.

Calverz

Between Microsoft's custom proprietary option and non-proprietary storage options, which do you think will drop in price quicker? Traditionally, the proprietary formats hardly, if ever, go down in price. Perhaps on sale every now and then but they usually never drop in price. You seem to understand that prices get cheaper so you should understand the advantage non-proprietary storage options have.
Prices will drop and companies other than seagate will make memory cards. Both already confirmed by MS.

sainraja

Prices will drop and companies other than seagate will make memory cards. Both already confirmed by MS.

Proprietary storage hardly ever drop in price. Nothing wrong with being optimistic. And yes you will see other companies get involved and you will have more options in size and therefore price. The 1TB card will stay the price it is for a good while. Unless, Microsoft is ready to make aggressive pricing moves there as well. You will surely get lower prices but don't expect the same size storage space with the lower priced ones.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
They might get cheaper, but you'll still be paying a premium
Says who? 360 drives were proprietary and cheap from third parties. XSX drives will cost in line with how much the tech inside them merits. A 1TB SSD for my PS5 is going to cost just about as much as the Xbox drive currently costs. Only difference for me is I can make the Xbox drive cheaper by using MS Rewards, or by buying XBL credit at a reduced rate from Target ( currently 87 dollars for 100 credit) and using it to buy the drive.

Fredrik

Lol ok dude.
i’ll actually enjoy both thanks. Still think xbox took the better option. Take the card out and plug into another xbox and play instantly.
Yeah the hot swapping while it’s powered on is kinda wild, you can (in theory, but it’ll be expensive) use multiple cards for different type of games and hotswap. I just wish they had the slot in the front.

DaGwaphics

It's ridiculous that we

So you are telling me there will be different form factors for the proprietary slot?
That wording does not reassure me of anything. To me it seems like he only said this vague statement to Major Nelson when there was talk about their proprietary slots. Seems like he is saying there are different options, form factors and sizes and they went with what they have. There are options in terms of external drives, different sizes but how exactly are they going to change the proprietary port? How will a standard nvme stick out of the console. And why the proprietary slot then? Seems like the usual future faking to me. There will be options, different sizes maybe even different manufacturers but it will still be an xbox drive licenced and sold by MS for their proprietary slot.

They'd still have the proprietary port (slightly altered CF Express), but a change in form factor (a longer memory card housing a 2260 or 2280) may be cheaper to produce than the costlier 2230 they are using now.

Using a non-proprietary standard CF eXpress slot would have increased the cost of the drive. Those sell for around $400 for 1TB at slower speeds (the next generation of CFE cards will be identical speeds to the Xbox drive, but not out yet).

Last edited:
Says who? 360 drives were proprietary and cheap from third parties. XSX drives will cost in line with how much the tech inside them merits. A 1TB SSD for my PS5 is going to cost just about as much as the Xbox drive currently costs. Only difference for me is I can make the Xbox drive cheaper by using MS Rewards, or by buying XBL credit at a reduced rate from Target ( currently 87 dollars for 100 credit) and using it to buy the drive.

You're wrong. The drives already cost a premium

- $220 for XSX

vs

- $105 for nonproprietary

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

- $220 for XSX

vs

Or we could try for something more comparable in the same metal heatsink housing:

Jaysen

Banned

- $220 for XSX

vs

I'm not the one comparing a gen3 drive to a gen4

DaGwaphics

That's not exactly the point is it?

But even an SSD that's faster than the PS5s built in one is cheaper than the Series X

No doubt the memory card will cost more, it has more manufacturing involved with it (the housing, even the plastic cover) and it is a specialized product, so less scale. I expected it to be around $150-$160, so maybe $20 or 30 premium over a 2230 drive with similar specs, but they did push it a bit high. I'll give you that. But it is available and easy to use, hot swappable, etc.

MS released the 320GB upgrade drive in 2011 for $130 while similar 2.5" notebook drives were still selling for $90 (I could only find retail prices for 500GB drives at that time, 320GB was an odd size for laptops at that point). There was a price premium but nothing extreme like people like to imagine. Nothing even remotely comparable to the Vita situation.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

My solution has been to buy physical only on PS5. Yes, I will miss out on some games, or buy them on PC.

Honestly, I'd just stick to digital and move some to your usb hdd and back again. At least you can do that from the controller without getting up to put the disk in, plus there will likely be a huge patch after reinstalling from the disk.

Jaysen

Banned
Honestly, I'd just stick to digital and move some to your usb hdd and back again. At least you can do that from the controller without getting up to put the disk in, plus there will likely be a huge patch after reinstalling from the disk.
This would be a lot more attractive of an option if Sony would allow cold storage of PS5 games. But those dummies are either too stupid to figure out how to do it or they simply aren't smart enough to secure it from piracy so they block the ability completely.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This would be a lot more attractive of an option if Sony would allow cold storage of PS5 games. But those dummies are either too stupid to figure out how to do it or they simply aren't smart enough to secure it from piracy so they block the ability completely.

Are you sure you can't move them over there? I remember this being discussed way back. But I'm sure it'll be added.

They allowed games to run from a usb hdd on PS4, so they had the DRM to protect that. 🤷‍♂️

Jaysen

Banned
Are you sure you can't move them over there? I remember this being discussed way back. But I'm sure it'll be added.

They allowed games to run from a usb hdd on PS4, so they had the DRM to protect that. 🤷‍♂️
I am 100 percent certain that you can not transfer PS5 games to external drives.

Top Bottom