• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PS2 games support HDD installation?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Okay -- aside from FFXI, are there ANY games out there that let you actually INSTALL the game on the HDD and play it from there for super speed boostorama?

Socom 2?

I'm not referring to the USB hard disks and bootleg stuff.

cvxfreak

I think Resident Evil Outbreak, and Outbreak File 2 make use of it to reduce load times. But I'm not sure if you meant complete HDD installation or just using it to reduce load times.

Bebpo

Banned
Xenosaga ep1 Jpn
Star Ocean III Jpn(not sure about Directors Cut but would assume it's still in)
Wild Arms 3 Jpn
Popolocrois III Jpn
FFX Jpn

the upcoming Vampire Savior/Chronicles collection will support HDD to eliminate load times.

I know there are a lot more rpgs that supported it but I don't remember which ones. Any rpgs from 2004 on had HDD support dropped for some reason.

Scott

To add to the ones already listed:

ESPN 2K5 Titles (cache, direct saves)
Final Fantasy X: International (cache)
Front Mission Online (install)
Minna no Golf Online (??)
Nobunaga's Ambition Online (install)
Soul Calibur II (cache)
Tetra Master Online (install; not a seperate release, though)
Wild ARMs: Alter Code: F (cache)

Sho Nuff

Banned
Thanks for the help.

Did some American games get the HDD support taken out? I can't remember seeing an installer in the US versions of some of those games.

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Thanks for the help.

Did some American games get the HDD support taken out? I can't remember seeing an installer in the US versions of some of those games.

Almost all of them got it ripped out of the US versions. Just like most Japanese games that support online play :(

Rorschach

Sho Nuff said:
Thanks for the help.

Yeah. American HDD support has been very...underwhelming.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's hardly any games with HDD support in the US. Lots of games here I see dont have HDD support in US (VF4, AC4, FFX, etc.)

Scott

US titles with HDD support:

ESPN 2K5 Titles (again, not sure which ones...)
Final Fantasy XI: Online
Final Fantasy XI: Online: Chains of Promathia
Resident Evil: Outbreak
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals
Tetra Master Online (included with PlayOnline/FFXI)

For upcoming titles, the US versions of Resident Evil: Outbreak: File #2 and Wild ARMs: Alter Code: F will also support it. I'm sure Front Mission Online will, as well, if it sees a US release.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Dynasty Warriors 5 also has HDD install in Japan.

DJ Box requires HDD installation; the game will not boot without it.

All the other games I can think of have been mentioned.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't understand WHY this functionality would be removed from the US versions. Very sad and frustrating for us HDD owners in the West.

maskrider

some more

Capcom vs SNK 2 Millionaire Fighting 2001 Japan
Shadow Hearts II Japan
Shadow Hearts II Director's Cut Japan
Xenosaga EP1 reloaded Japan

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm not referring to the USB hard disks and bootleg stuff.
Why not? With the official Sony's HDD, you can mix regulary installed games, saves and stuff with HDLoader installed games with absolutely no penalty or any kind of parameter twiddling. It just works. You can install probably 95% (or more) of available games using it.

Mejilan

How does one do this HDLoader stuff? No mods required?

My HDD is getting "cobwebs" so to speak.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No mods needed. You just boot the software from the CD, install the games you want and play them from the HDD. You can also install the imported Japanese games and play them on US console, again no mod chip needed.

Mejilan

Oh my g-d. HDLoader works with CD games too?

Will I finally be able to play some of these CD games that barely run on my PS2? I've already sent in my PS2 2x to Sony for free DRE fixes, but all they freakin do is "clean" the system of dust, saying that's my problem, when I know it isn't true!

Argh. I don't suppose it works with PSOne games too?

Yep, you can install PS2 games that come on CD. HDLoader, and the newer version, HDAdvance come with both a DVD and CD boot disk depending what format the PS2 game is on. Although I have found that the DVD disk will let me install CD's as well as DVD.

And nope it won't work with PSOne games.

Been using HDAdvance (along with this bit of plastic called a Swap Tool) for a while now to install and play US games I've imported on my mod-less PAL system. You could also do it over the PC with this program called winhiip, but it would mean I'll have to take the HDD and install onto the PC everytime I want to install an import and that's too much of a hussle for me (though it's the only way to get a dual layered game to work). You can install backups too. ;)

I <3 HDLoader/Advance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's no difference. HDLoader is the original, HDAdvance is the exact same thing (same code), just re-skined and released by different people.

Mejilan

That's odd. Any particular reason why?

Edit - Actually, HDAdvance 2.0 seems to support hdds up to 200gb. HDLoader only up to 120gb, seemingly.

Top Bottom