• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck kind of shit ad did I just witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbh

Does anyone ever go like:

"Oh yeah this thing which just took over my screen and is keeping me from the content I actually wanted to see...... I want to buy one of these now!!"

labx

Banned
That was something else. Like a Transformer or something, the page became the ad that became the page.

ghostjoke

Banned
That's actually really impressive, horrifying but impressive. Fuck anyone involved with this regardless.

Another part of me is wondering if this is a meta-ad for the new season of South Park.

Lol. Everyone in this thread:

giphy.gif

OP is Kif.

I will admit it is both horrifying and impressive at the same time.
SO TRUE ! :D

Google is going to start punishing pop-up ads on mobile on the SERP, so I definitely wouldn't expect ads like this to become commonplace. It's bad UX, which is in turn bad marketing.

Hektor

Lol gamestar is notorious and well known for being one of the worst sites on the German interweb in regards to ads.

You should see the ads you're getting if you browse the website *with* adblock.

The funny thing is that just some time ago they promised to only use fair and non intrusive advertising if people disable their adblock error. Well, you see what happened.

Vuze

And that's exactly why you do whitelist browsing.
GameStar is horrible, uBlock shows 20+ blocked requests on the site you linked.

gamma

And that's exactly why you do whitelist browsing.
GameStar is horrible, uBlock shows 20+ blocked requests on the site you linked.

I had the site whitelisted in AdBlock but actually Ghostery was running at the time. Would Ghostery even block stuff like this?

While I don't use AdBlocker (after hearing about how much certain sites rely on ad revenue if there's no paywall), that ad seems fucking obnoxious.

It's a neat trick, but if I see it more tham once a week, I'm gonna flip.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
While I admire the technology of it, I'd find it as annoying as a "join our newsletter to read the text" message or a full screen pop up with a tiny close button you can't hit.

If an internet ad mades me fear for the security of my PC or phone for even a second then it failed as an ad.

As long as malicious ads are still commonplace, then I will never find this cool.

What if it's an ad for security software?

3KMkBoN.gif

Just imagine this ad pops up and instead of being an ad for Acer, it asks "Are you safe?"

gamma

The thing is the site actually has a subscription service for like 4,99€ a month. It gets rid of the ads and some other perks. So I'm wondering if they are trying to push that by making more cancer ads like this one.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
To think, I'll never experience that, because I don't click ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom