• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to D4: Dark Dreams Dont Die?

SOR5

D4: Dark Dreams Dont Die is a great game that's been Shenmue'd

Left in limbo swirling in eternal space?

We know SWERY is safe and sound, but what about the game itself? Its borderline vaporware now

tumblr_ncaswfUHEG1r96fbco1_500.gif

David you out there?

Presumably MS didn't want to fund it and Swery took time off then left, guessing Access are doing other things now and no-one wanted to fund another season (particularly S1 probably cant go outside of Xbox/PC)

Xater

It didn't sell. That's what happened. Don't expect anything new from it. Swery moved on for a reason.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The same place Scalebound went

Xbox needs to up their platform diversity

Or not, it's their business I guess

Drayco21

It didn't sell on Xbox One. They ported it to PC, it still didn't sell. It's a real shame, but I can't really blame anyone for letting it die at that point.

dugdug

Banned
Bad exclusivity deal + bad game = DOA.

I would be curious to know how the story ends, but, I regret the time lost playing those first two episodes.

Hektor

Wasn't there some kind of issue around launch? Like Ms didn't advertise it or something?

Yea, they originally contracted Access games to make this a kinect launch title for "core audiences" or whatever you wanna call it. Then they dropped the mandatory kinect after the huge backlash the XB1 got at launch and with that most of their promition for said kinect titles.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
That game was diverse and different and it didn't sell, they can't force people to buy games that are different.

Big platforms, historically, support titles that exist more for platform diversity than profit.

Forcing people to buy games is not part of that strategy

LordKano

It bombed due to Microsoft's incompetence and inability to market anything else than big AAA games. A shame for such a great game with lot of potential, it was one of my favourite games of 2014 (when it released on PC).

LiK

SWERY left AG and the game was marketed poorly by MS. It's dead. Here's hoping someone gives it another chance cuz dat ending....

Wireframe

I never realised it was episodic, man I was considering getting the first part when I seen it was up on the MS store (I had no idea it even came out) but now I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm sorry, but why the hell did Access Games leave this on a cliffhanger? What did they think would happen? It was niche and they fucking knew it. Fuck unresolved cliffhangers in media. Make a complete story the first time, jerks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I never realised it was episodic, man I was considering getting the first part when I seen it was up on the MS store (I had no idea it even came out) but now I'm not sure it's worth it.

I mean the first three episodes are out and worth experiencing, but yeah you'll probably have to accept there's no conclusion and it has such an interesting cliffhanger in the third episode as well. ;_;

I keep looking at this game on steam. But I hear it was designed with/for Kinect. I love Swery and I feel I really should play the game it was intended. Should I wait till I eventually get an Xbox One?

Hektor

I keep looking at this game on steam. But I hear it was designed with/for Kinect. I love Swery and I feel I really should play the game it was intended. Should I wait till I eventually get an Xbox One?

The game is perfectly playable on PC, of course the QTE's won't be quite the same, but the meat is in the story, dialogue, characters and presentation more than anything.

The steam version is also 50% off right now.

It came out on the wrong platform and got sent to die. It's never coming back. I love the Steam release but it was too late even then.

Still in my backlog and still never played and probably never will, despite how much I loved Red Seeds Profile/Deadly Premonition since this game supposedly ends on a massive cliffhanger. I already had Twin Peaks Season 3, The Silver Case and Shenmue 3 to wait on (and now Deus Ex too, thanks to Square probably canning that series as well) so I don't want anymore waiting on cliffhangers for years upon years stuck in purgatory.

What good is a mystery game with no conclusion? No thanks, I'll just play his new game he makes at his new studio and hope for the best there.

EDIT: Speaking of, what the fuck are Access Games doing nowadays anyway? SWERY has left, Yoko Taro is now making games with PG instead (meaning no more Drakengard games with them) and they haven't shipped/announced anything original in ages. Are they just a porting studio now?

cj_iwakura

Still in my backlog and still never played and probably never will, despite how much I loved Red Seeds Profile/Deadly Premonition since this game supposedly ends on a massive cliffhanger. I already had Twin Peaks Season 3, The Silver Case and Shenmue 3 to wait on (and now Deus Ex too, thanks to Square probably canning that series as well) so I don't want anymore waiting on cliffhangers for years upon years stuck in purgatory.

What good is a mystery game with no conclusion? No thanks, I'll just play his new game he makes at his new studio and hope for the best there.

EDIT: Speaking of, what the fuck are Access Games doing nowadays anyway? SWERY has left, Yoko Taro is now making games with PG instead (meaning no more Drakengard games with them) and they haven't shipped/announced anything original in ages. Are they just a porting studio now?

I'd rather play it and see what he brought us than nothing at all. He put a lot of work into it, the least we can do is enjoy it.

I love how everyone blames MS for it not selling. Why didn't it sell on PC then?

Unlike some complaining here I actually bought it and finished it. Swery can't be that mad at MS as he's working on hololens stuff.

Fisty

Just noticed that gif says "I'll work itself out"

Anyways, yeah Japanese launch title on an MS system. That's where it went.

Hektor

I love how everyone blames MS for it not selling. Why didn't it sell on PC then?

Unlike some complaining here I actually bought it and finished it. Swery can't be that mad at MS as he's working on hololens stuff.

Microsoft gets blamed because they de facto shafted the dev.

The PC sales are also more than reasonable, given the fact it was a one year late port of a former XB1 exclusive kinect game that bombed and had no marketing

Head.spawn

Microsoft gets blamed because they de facto shafted the dev.

The PC sales are also more than reasonable, given the fact it was a one year late port of a former XB1 exclusive kinect game that bombed and had no marketing

What does the Xbox marketing have to do with the PC release? MS didn't publish it. Also, reception has nothing to do with marketing and the game is sitting in the 60's as far as ratings go.

Anyways, Over a million units for the most niche of the niche ain't bad at all on Xbox.

MS has him at gunpoint.

Also, we'll just have to ignore the part where Swery himself pointed to Access Games in reference to where the sequel is.

Top Bottom