• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to this bluray of Vampires (1998 movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
7tQMlQ.jpg

AbOnBL.jpg

iuUbtx.jpg

EjK9Nn.jpg

Interactive comparison here:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...&hd_multiID=1249&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Haven't seen it. Which is old, which is new? Which is correct, which is bad? What did the theatrical release look like? The site linked is multilingual and not very mobile friendly.

Haven't seen it. Which is old, which is new? Which is correct, which is bad? What did the theatrical release look like? The site linked is multilingual and not very mobile friendly.

It's been a really long time since I watched this not-very-good movie, but I'm fairly certain it's supposed to look slightly orange-ish, suggesting a dried out, arid location/setting.

Instead, with the filter removed, it now looks like they shot it on spring break. The same thing happened to Carpenter on one of the Halloween transfers. They shot it summer and color-timed it in post to make it look like it was actually Halloween. And then one of the home video releases basically removed the filter and killed the mood Carpenter was trying to set.

The blu-ray has fucked up the image Carpenter was going for with the film. It's a bad transfer.

edit: you can see in the trailer what Carpenter was going for with the look of the film, and it's not what you're seeing on the blu-ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMnslWrM2s

It's been a really long time since I watched this not-very-good movie, but I'm fairly certain it's supposed to look slightly orange-ish, suggesting a dried out, arid location/setting.

Instead, with the filter removed, it now looks like they shot it on spring break. The same thing happened to Carpenter on one of the Halloween transfers. They shot it summer and color-timed it in post to make it look like it was actually Halloween. And then one of the home video releases basically removed the filter and killed the mood Carpenter was trying to set.

The blu-ray has fucked up the image Carpenter was going for with the film. It's a bad transfer.

edit: you can see in the trailer what Carpenter was going for with the look of the film, and it's not what you're seeing on the blu-ray.

Thanks. The OP wasn't very informative but even if I'm not familiar, I'm still curious about these sorts of things. Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park both received varying transfers between multiple releases. I only realized after selling off an earlier copy of Ghostbusters for the two-pack, 30th anniversary 4k release that it looked different. Apparently, it's the closest to the (preferred?) vhs release but I'd still like to have multiple versions if they're that different.

JP's standard release and 3D release vary with one being warmer, similar to the OP but not as drastic.

BadAss2961

I like this movie. Stumbled across it late one night and it gripped me. It's violent, it's cheesy, and it's got classic vampires that don't fuck around.

Sucks about the loss of authenticity, but those shots look good without the filter.

I like this movie. Stumbled across it late one night and it gripped me. It's violent, it's cheesy, and it's got classic vampires that don't fuck around.

Sucks about the loss of authenticity, but those shots look good without the filter.

Yeah. I wonder who handled the transfer. Sometimes these changes happen because it's what the director or DP wanted in the first place. That's usually my primary concern anyways. If the Blu represents more what the director wanted I'll ignore my preferences.

Like with say the Coppola's Dracula transfer.

Morgoth

Banned

The 35th blu-ray has a new transfer that was supervised by Dean Cundey and restores the filter.

Loofy

They forget to put the filters on some releases. Do the right thing is missing the orange 'summer' filter too.

The Beard

The BluRay is obviously clearer but the color palette just seems way off and overblown. TheDVD seems a bit too warm, and the Blu looks way too cool.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's a crime.

The BluRay is obviously clearer but the color palette just seems way off and overblown. TheDVD seems a bit too warm, and the Blu looks way too cool.

It's clearer because it's Blu-ray. Many stylized or B&W movies are plenty clear on Blu.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just set the "orange as shit" setting on your tv to max.

Wow, that's horrible.

Trying to think of other films that had their colour changed on BD... The Terminator pops into mind, though it wasn't a very big change. Quite subtle, I think. Also had the gun shot noises changed in the police station scene, which was a bummer.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Wow, that's horrible.

Trying to think of other films that had their colour changed on BD... The Terminator pops into mind, though it wasn't a very big change. Quite subtle, I think. Also had the gun shot noises changed in the police station scene, which was a bummer.

I remember that. Happened with the Terminator DVD as well. There was an option to choose the old mono sound, which was far superior, but lacked the modern touches of a 5.1 digital track. They re-dubbed most of the gun sounds and they sucked ass. Sounded like canons were going off in the older track, and that ruled.

IISANDERII

Instead, with the filter removed, it now looks like they shot it on spring break.
They're going with the trends. Back then people feared vampires, now people want vampires as fucken boyfriends.

Melon Husk

They forgot the night filter on one scene in Conan The Barbarian too. I would guess that they used to overlay filters over the original master to make distribution copies before Digital Intermediates came along in ~2000.

Switching to DI hasn't eliminated this meddling with the colour grading in post either, see for example The Matrix or Fellowship Of The Ring BDs.

Razmos

The same thing happened with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there were scenes with Buffy in bed that were supposed to be set at night, but it was shot during the day. They put a dark filter in to make it look like night, but the filter was removed in the HD remaster, so you see Buffy going to bed in the middle of the day, and Angel lying with the sun across his face.

angel.0.png

The same thing happened with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there were scenes with Buffy in bed that were supposed to be set at night, but it was shot during the day. They put a dark filter in to make it look like night, but the filter was removed in the Blu-Ray release, so you see Buffy going to bed in the middle of the day, and Angel lying with the sun across his face.

angel.0.png

I came to post this. OP's avatar made me think of that. Ruined a lot of the scenes. They basically didn't consult Whedon or the editors at all on what the scenes should have been portraying, but mostly it just looks like they didn't have a lick of sense. I mean, come on with that screen cap.

The Beard

That's a crime.

It's clearer because it's Blu-ray. Many stylized or B&W movies are plenty clear on Blu.

Yeah, I know that. I own a bunch of Blu-Rays. A lot of them are pre 1975, and they look great. 35mm and 70mm film can be stunning when the time is taken to do a legit HD transfer.

I was just throwing out the obvious, and I thought maybe that was the reason some people actually think this Blu-Ray looks good. Also, a lot of people tend to like a picture with a cool color temp, so that explains it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The same thing happened with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there were scenes with Buffy in bed that were supposed to be set at night, but it was shot during the day. They put a dark filter in to make it look like night, but the filter was removed in the HD remaster, so you see Buffy going to bed in the middle of the day, and Angel lying with the sun across his face.

angel.0.png

I don't see what the problem is. They just stayed up all night talking and the second pic is in the morning. Right?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Netflix version is the same as the bluray.

x4czY6v.png

I tried rewatching this with friends about a year ago. We made it about an hour in and turned it off.

Genuinely poor effort with uninteresting characters and a terrible score.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I tried rewatching this with friends about a year ago. We made it about an hour in and turned it off.

Genuinely poor effort with uninteresting characters and a terrible score.

I'm just going to watch it with the wife now. I've had a few beers and a couple of glasses of wine so I'm in the correct mood for this movie.
I will report back later.

Saw and loved Vampires in theater as a teenager. I still remember the distinctly orange tone, which helped the film stand out and actually fit the western vibe they were going for, and even the crux of the story (hunters using the sun to kill vampires). That blu-ray looks disappointingly normal.

Aselith

I wonder if the filter was messing with whatever they were doing to convert it to HD? Was that Halloween transfer that Bobby mentioned fixed?

vio

Someone in charge heard about all the earlier Doom screenshots.

edit: Auto tone in photoshop removes the filter exactly like in those images OP.

bengraven

A year before this came out I wrote a novel that was basically the exact same plot as Vampires, but actually good. It took me YEARS to finish. Then I saw the film and realized I could never get away with the many similarities. I tried to rewrite it greatly to change the concept - so instead of a human helping a vampire, I decided the human was a werewolf and the vampire was helping him...

Ended up with a decent novel about a vampire/werewolf romance on the dark streets of an unknown city set in the middle of a war between their races. This also took me YEARS to finish. A few months after I finished that draft I saw the trailer for Underworld.

I haven't written a vampire or werewolf into a story since.

Coreda

Made a comparison of the Blu-Ray vs DVD using the same colors. Since the Blu-Ray transfer is wider the images have been cropped to match. Blu-Ray top, DVD bottom (in quotes).

1-brwspy0.jpg
2-brjbpsq.jpg

When side by side like that in the OP it's easy to judge one as more pleasing since we instinctively recognize truer to life colors as more correct but as Roberts mentioned above the original is obviously going for a certain mood. Many films and individual scenes would lose a certain atmosphere and even emotional cues if graded differently.

In contrast many prefer little to no obvious color grading in games as more time is spent with them and the experience is primarily player led rather than tightly controlled.

OR, you could be mistaking "intended style" for the very, very common "magenta goes last" effect of film deterioration. Pretty obvious the DVD is over-magenta, and so is the trailer you link to. The magenta-ization also happened to Star Wars and went unaddressed in its Blu-Ray release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom