• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to VH1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy

Banned
Every single show on VH1 is a countdown show of some kind, it seems. I am very dissapointed, they used to play .... MUSIC... every once in a while. Now it's Top 10 whatever or top 40 squirrels or something.

I'm hard pressed to find good music on TV now. MTV 2 plays a lot of crap and it takes a while to hear something good... MTV is a waste of time, and now VH1 is crap. Shame.

I agree, but oh well. I used to watch VH1 in the morning back in college and highschool like crazy. Good way to start each shitty angst ridden day.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Teh Hamburglar said:
where is Pop Up Video?

:(

Ran out of steam, a little bit of creative bankruptcy, low ratings, VH1 being pretty apathetic, quality being sacrificed for timetables...

Pick one, take 'em all, combine a few, whatever you come up with is pretty much the answer.

Wolfy said:
Every single show on VH1 is a countdown show of some kind, it seems. I am very dissapointed, they used to play .... MUSIC... every once in a while. Now it's Top 10 whatever or top 40 squirrels or something.

I remember complaining about the same thing when MTV started turning into one big Real World/Road Rules show. Now VH1 is a big coundown sprinkled with Behind the Music. MTV2 is next, mark my words.

It was great when we used to be able to get the Canadian Much Music on DirectTV and digital cable (in the US), but they've morphed into Fuse over the past couple years, which just isn't as good.

"where is Pop Up Video?"

Same thing that is going on right now with the countdowns, basically. VH1 overexposed it.

I think Viacom does this to promote their other channels, actually. Put pop culture shows on their flagship MTV/VH1 stations that target the same demographic as the videos did, and make the people who want videos call their providers to get MTV2/VH1 Classic added.

MTV is pretty much crap now, but I still kinda like VH1. 100 Most Metal Moments was awesome.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Catchpenny said:
"where is Pop Up Video?"

Same thing that is going on right now with the countdowns, basically. VH1 overexposed it.

Ultimately, it was the under-exposure that was the problem. Couple that with it basically running its course in the public mind and you have a recipe for "No renewal for you."

Now Behind the Music, THAT was overexposed.

The channel is rather boring overall, although I thought both "I Love the 80's!" seasons were fantastic. Now it looks like they're going to do it for every decade. How are they going to dig up embittered stand-up comedians to talk about their lives in the roaring 20's? :\

hobbitx

^^ lol I was thinking the same thing. (doh another reply!)

The specialty channels are where it's at now, VH1-classic rocks although the channel can get kinda repetitive sometimes, there's alot of videos they hardly ever show and when they start promoting old school artist comeback cds for hours on end, things can get ugly.

impirius

I'm just glad they redid their logo and got rid of the "music first" at the bottom of the screen during all-day "I Love the 80s" marathons. Now that they've given up the music-channel pretense, they're free to be a pretty amusing meta-entertainment channel. "Best Week Ever" is funny, but it's pushing the limits... soon they'll have a "Top 10 Top-Ten Shows about Shows" show if they're not careful.

xsarien

daedsiluap
impirius said:
I'm just glad they redid their logo and got rid of the "music first" at the bottom of the screen during all-day "I Love the 80s" marathons. Now that they've given up the music-channel pretense, they're free to be a pretty amusing meta-entertainment channel. "Best Week Ever" is funny, but it's pushing the limits... soon they'll have a "Top 10 Top-Ten Shows about Shows" show if they're not careful.

Wait, I'm gonna mark the calendar.

:: Makes note of someone who actually likes the new logo that isn't the designer :: ;)

But you know, whatever. Ever since the channel launched, it's like they've made a concerted effort to make their logo uglier and uglier with each iteration. When I first saw their current one, I honestly thought it was just a quick one-shot, to promote some 70s special or something.

heavy liquid said:
MTV2 is next, mark my words.

Hell, they have a countdown every day. MTV2 is becoming less and less about the music videos too.

You want videos? Get Digital Cable and check out the various MTV/VH1 branded channels. Or if you're so inclined, you can check out Fuse.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i think i get VH1 tomorrow.. upgrading to foxtel digital in aus. i don't even want it, but my mum is getting sick of a 4:3 box in the middle of the widescreen tv downstairs... and zooming cuts out half the image ... so my cable bill is about to go up :p anyone got foxtel digital here? any good??

impirius

xsarien said:
Wait, I'm gonna mark the calendar.

:: Makes note of someone who actually likes the new logo that isn't the designer :: ;)

But you know, whatever. Ever since the channel launched, it's like they've made a concerted effort to make their logo uglier and uglier with each iteration. When I first saw their current one, I honestly thought it was just a quick one-shot, to promote some 70s special or something.
Whoa whoa whoa, I hope you marked that in pencil! ;) Like every other right-thinking person, I think the new logo is ugly. Well suited for a one-shot, like you mentioned, but it's way too gaudy to be an everyday thing. (Of course, given the channel's focus, maybe they're just going to change it every few months depending on what's popular.) I was just glad that they finally decided to officially reposition themselves instead of pretending to be a music channel.

xsarien

daedsiluap
impirius said:
Whoa whoa whoa, I hope you marked that in pencil! ;) Like every other right-thinking person, I think the new logo is ugly.

Ah, okay. You're off the calendar. (And the "Guy's Fucking Crazy..." list.) ;)

I'll just repeat what some of the others said, if you have Digital Cable check out the MTV/VH1 music channels. I personally listen to VH1 Soul. They play a lot of modern and old school music videos. A lot of the late 80s and early 90s R&B didn't get much play on MTV or VH1 back then, so it's now cool to finally see some of those videos. Best of all these music channels don't have any commercials, just a few promos for content on sister channels.

Though I have to admit, they do tend to play certain songs over and over again. But at least they're playing music...

Regular MTV is dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom