• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is it with anime fans and Pocky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichirou

Banned
Mandoric said:
(Also, the stereotype of crazy American fanboys as the main market that assigns any significance to the stuff is somewhat off; a fixation on it is starting to develop into a moetic attribute, as seen in shows like Please! Teacher and Rozen Maiden, which indicates either a marketing plan or more likely it having fed back through Japanese fandom.)

:lol :lol :lol

Mandoric

Banned
Ichirou_Oogami said:
:lol :lol :lol

"set of 'good girl'-type romantically and somewhat sexually attractive behaviors encoded in Japanese visual pop-culture through means of not-immediately-intuitive indicators" is a bit wordy. And I think I've taken one too many lit classes in my life to not try and deconstruct things to fit in pompous and etymologically-hideous categories. :D

aoi tsuki

Back when fansubs were VHS and took weeks to deliver, i knew a few people who ate Pocky somewhat religously. It was like $6 a box plus shipping. i tried the chocolate and strawberry. They were okay, but not worth the price. Hell, i'd be hard pressed to buy them for $3 at Walmart. i'd rather have Piroulline with a good latte.

I eat ramen with chopsticks while I watch naruto.

I actually thought about doing that once :(
i do that too. But then again, i eat ramen with chopsticks period. i eat with chopsticks period. i'm just used to using them, and i have a box of the disposable ones and a couple pair of decent-looking ones that i use along with forks, knives, and spoons.

Does that make me animu?

ms-07

Banned
The original pocky flavors are pretty shitty, but those mousse ones are pretty tasty. I haven't had either in ages though, too expensive.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
El Papa said:
Hi-Chu is where it's at, fools!

5407.jpg

You win, Yogurt flavor for life!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i havent eaten pocky since ive got here

its all about almond chocolates!

also mother ****in gyu kaku! i had 980yen special carubi tonight and it was ****ing AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEE

YAKINIKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU RARRRRRRRRRRRRRR RED MEEEEEEEEAT

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kuroyume said:
I wonder if Japanese people eat Slim Jims while watching our shows like ¡Mucha Lucha! and Static Shock.

I doubt it.

no they eat this really rank smelling fish version of it though.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Ichirou_Oogami said:
That too. I've had that. Nasty.

Dried squid jerky, smoked squid, and pickled plums (and other fruits) FTW. If you don't like these, you've never tried quality products. Definitely my favorite snacks, although they're more Chinese than Japanese.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
11/11 is Pocky day in Japan just thought I'd share this useless fact

El Papa

Yeah, I used to gag at squid, then one of my chinese girlfriends made me try this

20050325_squid_small.jpg

and it was pretty freaking good. Though I will never eat it like this:

squid1.jpg

Ichirou

Banned
I have problems eating certain animals. I can pretty much eat any form of edible plant life, but certain animals make me gag. Like squid.

ghostmind

japanophiles drive me nuts... most of them don't seem to realize that even if they moved to Japan, they would still be the same losers they are here, except that now they would be losers living in Japan...

...ah well, grass is always greener on the other side, and all that crap...

BTW, i've tried Pocky - and there are much better chocolate/wafer combinations out there in this world... go to Switzerland or Austria for some chocolate awesomeness...

sky

cloudwalking said:
Like I've said before -- Pocky isn't even "exotic" anymore. I mean, for christs' sake, they sell it at Wal-Mart nowadays.
I think that's key -- it's a neat snack that seems very japanese (in an otaku way), and is very easy to get. So they gravitate towards it... and since it's tasty, they get hooked.

Ichirou

Banned
ghostmind said:
BTW, i've tried Pocky - and their are much better chocolate/wafer combinations out there in this world... go to Switzerland or Austria for some chocolate awesomeness...

Pocky isn't even real chocolate, it's just the same generic crap you get no matter what cheap chocolate bar you buy. The real stuff is, as you said, in places like Switzerland and Austria, where they have REAL chocolatiers.

$3? It's like 93 cents a box at the Walmarts around here...

That said, I don't watch anime and I'm not a Japanophile, but I do enjoy Strawberry Pocky. There's better stuff out there, sure, but I don't see anything wrong with buying the occasional box of Pocky.

Pocari Sweat is vastly superior to Ramune, yet the elaborate packaging seems to make all the anime otaku go ga-ga. Seriously folks, two sips of bubblegum-flavored swill doesn't add up to however many dollars you're spending on it. Pocky is okay if you're only spending 120 yen on a box, but $3 or more is a bit ridiculous. I have to admit, though, White Mousse Pocky is pretty good.

I like Pocky. But as far as imported chocolate+wafer snacks the best are Hit cookies. I think they're Austrian.

What I don't understand is why Americans drink Sapporo beer. From what I understand it's like the Bud Light of Japan...Japanese people drink it because it's dirt cheap and you can get it at any bar. But paying import prices for it makes no sense.

Trurl

Banned
I like pocky. It's like a chocolate covered pretzel without the nasty clash of salt and chocolate.

I have no idea how much it costs though, I'm only aware of pocky because a friend of mine (who is an anime freak) likes to buy pocky for his friends.

scarybore

Ichirou_Oogami said:
The people who sprinkle Japanese words into everyday English conversation are the absolute worst.

This is my pet hate, annoys the **** out of me. Really annoying if you want to discuss some anime on a forum and half the members are shouting sugoi, baka and KANEDA! or some obscure phrase or reference every five seconds expecting you to get it.

And the difference between Cadbury Creme Eggs and Pocky is that people don't just eat Cadbury Creme Eggs because they come from the UK.

Creme Eggs FTW!

El Papa

chaostrophy said:
What I don't understand is why Americans drink Sapporo beer. From what I understand it's like the Bud Light of Japan...Japanese people drink it because it's dirt cheap and you can get it at any bar. But paying import prices for it makes no sense.
If I drink a Japanese beer, it's usually Asahi Super Dry, unless I go to my usual place that has Kirin on tap for $2 a mug. Sapporo is ok, but Asahi goes better with sushi and sashimi because it's dryer. All the Japanese I've asked tell me they like Asahi. ::shrugs::

seanoff

if they drink Pocari Sweat (it does taste like sweat) then have pity on them. Pocky is nothing special though.

squid1.jpg

F2CK ME!

It's like that horrible scene in The Wrath of Khan where they sitck those things in Chekov's ear. NOOOOOOOO! MAKE IT STOOOOOP!

I no longer eat pocky as I cannot find MILK POCKY!

Milk Pocky with my coffee was good times. :(

ghostmind said:
japanophiles drive me nuts... most of them don't seem to realize that even if they moved to Japan, they would still be the same losers they are here, except that now they would be losers living in Japan...

...ah well, grass is always greener on the other side, and all that crap...
:lol
cloudwalking said:
So it's from Japan. So what? Because Cadbury is a British company anyone who eats a Creme Egg is a wannabe Brit?
They're from the UK?!

whinyluke4jg.jpg

No... That's not true. That's impossible! Nooooooo... No!

bjork

chaostrophy said:
I like Pocky. But as far as imported chocolate+wafer snacks the best are Hit cookies. I think they're Austrian

FACT.

Hit cookies rule!

The beer thing is like when Americans drink Fosters because it's australian. No Australian drinks that shit. :lol

Jado

Banned
I've only bought Pocky and a few other Asian snacks after some two Chinese friends convinced me to. Not that bad. How much are some of you paying for the stuff? I've gotten it for about as low as $.60~ in parts of China Town and the Lower East Side of NYC.

i used to work with this japanophile girl that was all excited because some little local food store downtown got japanese cough drops. They tasted exactly like Halls.

I like Pocky, not because it's "teh Japanese coolness," but because I actually like it. It's not exotic, they're just pretzel sticks coated in chocolate/flavored sugar. We've got a large Asian grocery store in Seattle that sells numerous varities for $1.50 a box, so it's not very expensive to pick up a box of Men's Pocky or G-Pocky from time to time. When we go to a movie, I either grab of bag of Haribo Gold Bears (so does that make me a Hungary-phile?) or a box of Pocky as a snack. The Orange-Chocolate Pocky from a few summers back was really good, I wish it would come back.

Red Scarlet

I liked the strawberry pocky I had years ago. It was at a Japanese grocery store in Atlanta though. They sell it at Wal-Mart now? Surely it isn't worth the trip on it's own, but it has been about 7 years since I had a box of strawberry pocky.

WalkMan

Banned
Wtf? Pocky is Japanese? I always thought it was made in China or something since I always buy it and the panda cookie crap whenever I go to the Viet-Wah

But yea..those were the days, eating Pocky as a child and nobody knowing what the hell it was.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
and it was pretty freaking good. Though I will never eat it like this:
squid1.jpg

Dude, the baby squid dish is good. Try biting off the top of the head. It's filled with a gelatinous substance. :lol

Speaking of, this is the best asian snack:

2ikpeKa.jpg

Red Scarlet

Mikazuki said:
Dude, the baby squid dish is good. Try biting off the top of the head. It's filled with a gelatinous substance. :lol

Speaking of, this is the best asian snack:

2ikpeKa.jpg

You are so gross!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom