• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with my DualShock 3 controller?

I have a total of 3 DualShock 3s for my PS3. I have 1 white one that I've been using since January and 2 black ones I bought back in 2009. Now, I have not used either black one in roughly 5 months and they were in a shoe box with some other random PS3 things the whole time until earlier today.

I take the controllers out and both of them, BOTH OF THEM (!), have this strange sticky, oily residue on the analog sticks. ONLY THE ANALOG STICKS.

These controllers were perfect when I put them away and I cleaned them every now and then when I was using them regularly. I turned to google looking for answers and it seems that other people have had similar problems (threads on official PS forum, gameFAQ, IGN) but noone can give a good answer as to why other than "lel you must fap when you play vidya games."

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong here? Is it a humidity issue? It seems like my white controller is fine and I use that everyday.

elektrixx

Banned
Get out any of your old rubber control sticks; they'll all be like that.

When you don't use them for a while the dirt/oil comes out.

Got the same thing when I bought a used DS3. Googone gone fixed it.
300.jpg

Zissou

I don't get why this happens but it's disgusting- only happens to sticks on dualshocks as well. I've never had it occur with any other type of controller.

TheD

The Detective
Had something like that happen to the rubber on a mouse once, it put it a way in a plastic bag and after a year the rubber had something that felt like glue on it and nothing would get it off.

I have also had a set of headphones that had foam that turned to some type of clear liquid.

Isnt it just the rubber/plastic rubbing against the circle part? Happens to all controllers.

Edit: i dont think i understood the question sorry ha

I don't get why this happens but it's disgusting- only happens to sticks on dualshocks as well. I've never had it occur with any other type of controller.

It's starting to look like it really is a DualShock issue. I just checked a couple of my Dreamcast controllers that I haven't touched in over a year and they're fine. The sticky residue is really disgusting I can't imagine what the hell it is.

Got the same thing when I bought a used DS3. Googone gone fixed it.

Didn't think about trying Googone. I need to buy some anyway.

aren't we past these stupid jokes?

on topic:

Have you tried to clean them?

Yeah I did.
First I wiped the analog sticks with a dry cloth and all that did was cause the fibers from the towel to get stuck on the analog sticks (kinda like what a sticker looks like when you peel it off a shirt) and then I tried one of those electronic/lcd "safe" wipes.

Hilarious.

I have this same problem with one of my PS3 controllers and it's been driving me crazy

Yeah its pissing me off a bit. Especially when you drop $60 on these things.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
That happened to my PS2 controller. It was sitting on a shelf for like 7 years and when I was looking for something else, I picked it up to move it and both sticks were all gooey.

Yup, I have this same problem with my Sixaxis controller. Bizarre.

EDIT Seems to be a persistent Playstation thing? What are they making their sticks out of?

Does anyone have any old PS1 controllers that have this issue? So far in this thread we've had people report this issue on Dualshock 2, Dualshock 3, and my Sixaxis.

You know how the N64 analog stick grinds into dust over the years? Want to know way every other one doesn't? They are oiled. After a while (and storing them upside down) you'll get it all over your sticks.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Never had this happen on a DS3. However I've got a DS2 controller that does this and it's down right naaaaaaasty.

Yeah, it bothered the hell out of me since I don't treat my controllers badly. Maybe I will try some goo gone.

JimboJones

Does anyone have any old PS1 controllers that have this issue? So far in this thread we've had people report this issue on Dualshock 2, Dualshock 3, and my Sixaxis.

My PS1 dualshocks seem fine, though I never used the sticks on those much at the time.

PS2 dualshock also seems fine though.

UraMallas

This actually happened to one of my DS3s. I had two when my system YOLDed in August and I got a new system for Chistmas and when I pulled out my old controllers one of them had it and one didn't. Is this a thing?

Edit: It's been answered. Well, huh.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i seem to remember having the same sort of issue -- the sticks were very sticky but i couldnt figure out "why". i think its the glue they use to attach the pad, it sort of seeps through.

i toughed it out and kept playing with it, and now they're fine. nothing some human oil wont solve

This happened with one of my DS2 controllers when I got my PS2 out years ago, I managed to fix it by cleaning it. Sadly, I can't remember what I cleaned it with.

Rat Salad

Banned
Melting mushy analog sticks? Piss poor screen durability on Vitas, and crackling sounds when the new Ps3 SuperSlims expand and heat up. SONY? LOL.

Minions

Melting mushy analog sticks? Piss poor screen durability on Vitas, and crackling sounds when the new Ps3 SuperSlims expand and heat up. SONY? LOL.

Let's not bring up Microsoft's track record. (Hint it affected a larger percentage than all the things you listed combined, and "cracking noises" affect nothing)

Anyway, I have PS2/PSX controllers that are still fine to this day, and they have not been used in years. Is it the way they are stored and humidity?

baekshi

Banned

Let's not bring up Microsoft's track record. (Hint it affected a larger percentage than all the things you listed combined, and "cracking noises" affect nothing)

Anyway, I have PS2/PSX controllers that are still fine to this day, and they have not been used in years. Is it the way they are stored and humidity?

This is now a Microsoft/ Sony hate thread.

milkham

its probably because of the rubber decaying, similar to how some(most?) SNESes had plastic that turned yellow

nikos

Two of my DS3s had been sitting for quite a while as well, but I didn't notice anything oily their sticks when I used them a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, I had something similar happen. I put away an old DS3 because I started using a newer one and decided to put it in a ziplock bag to keep dust from collecting on it. Well this was like a year ago and recently I was going through the stuff and noticed that the inside of the bag, and consequently the DS3, is covered in oil. I'm quite baffled and not sure if I want to attempt to clean it up, looked nasty.

I have a total of 3 DualShock 3s for my PS3. I have 1 white one that I've been using since January and 2 black ones I bought back in 2009. Now, I have not used either black one in roughly 5 months and they were in a shoe box with some other random PS3 things the whole time until earlier today.

I take the controllers out and both of them, BOTH OF THEM (!), have this strange sticky, oily residue on the analog sticks. ONLY THE ANALOG STICKS.

These controllers were perfect when I put them away and I cleaned them every now and then when I was using them regularly. I turned to google looking for answers and it seems that other people have had similar problems (threads on official PS forum, gameFAQ, IGN) but noone can give a good answer as to why other than "lel you must fap when you play vidya games."

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong here? Is it a humidity issue? It seems like my white controller is fine and I use that everyday.
The rubber decomposes, leaving a sticky residue. The same phenomenon happens with PS2 analog sticks. Scrubbing the tops with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol removes the residue adequately.

Aenima

This happens to my 2 Dualshock2 and my 2 dualshock3 controllers if i let them sit some weeks without touching them.

Its oil from the stick oiled mechanism, how the oil comes up is still a mystery to me cuz i always store the controllers with the sticks up.

A quick pass with a napking and the oil is out and dont appear as long as i play regularly.

Funny thing is that its like a oil fountain that never ends. My DS2 controllers have about 10 years old and still keep oiling the rubber of the stick :p

Aenima

The rubber decomposes, leaving a sticky residue. The same phenomenon happens with PS2 analog sticks. Scrubbing the tops with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol removes the residue adequately.

Is not decomposed rubber, its oil from sticks mechanism. When my sticks get oiled up is the entire stick, not only the rubber part but also the plastic part of it too.

Zissou

Is not decomposed rubber, its oil from sticks mechanism. When my sticks get oiled up is the entire stick, not only the rubber part but also the plastic part of it too.

I don't think it oil from the sticks. I store all my controllers laying down with the sticks pointing up and the stickiness still occurs. It also is on the rubber exclusively- not on any other part of the sticks or controller.

Top Bottom