• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to play?

So I'm currently really enjoying Halo Infinite and Forza 5 but they're not my usual games as I prefer story driven campaigns (Halo Infinite campaign is my most anticipated game this year).

Obviously Dec 8th is a while away so I've decided to dust off the old PS4 Pro. The question is what should I play, I've got it down to these, I nfamous second son, Ghosts of tsushima directors cut, Shadow of the colossus or Death Stranding?

T0minator

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is one of my favorite games all year 👌🏼 definitely go through that, it's worth the playthrough
sNT95ld.jpg
fYmf4eb.jpg

bender

What time is it?
If you compared it to another open world game what would that be?

Assassin's Creed. The world is lovely and has a higher level of polish than found in most Ubisoft games. It has a few neat tricks its' bag (duels are great, hot spring reflections, haiku writing) but it also borrows a lot from what you'd see in a modern Ubisoft open world game and the combat system outside of duels reminds me a lot of modern Assassin's Creed (which is heavily inspired by Arkham Asylum).

Assassin's Creed. The world is lovely and has a higher level of polish than found in most Ubisoft games. It has a few neat tricks its' bag (duels are great, hot spring reflections, haiku writing) but it also borrows a lot from what you'd see in a modern Ubisoft open world game and the combat system outside of duels reminds me a lot of modern Assassin's Creed (which is heavily inspired by Arkham Asylum).
It's better than Assassins Creed though?

bender

What time is it?
It's better than Assassins Creed though?

I only made it a 3rd of the way through before quitting but I'd say yes. I'm pretty fatigued by modern open world tropes. The setting tickles my fancy better and it has better story and characters. It's no where near as bloated as the modern AC games but it can still be a slog if you try to do everything.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Na dude you can't say Assassin's Creed because people think that = bad. You have to compare it to Breath of the Wild, which while being exactly the same will make modern day Nintendo fans splooge there pants at the mere mention of it, and then unironicallly talk about how unique the game is despite it sounding like there describing a Ubisoft game so....

Yo OP GoT is like Breath of the Wild, it's really good.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Na dude you can't say Assassin's Creed because people think that = bad. You have to compare it to Breath of the Wild, which while being exactly the same will make modern day Nintendo fans splooge there pants at the mere mention of it, and then explain about how unique and diffrent the game is despite being essentially a generic Ubisoft game.

Breath of the Wild has a much more interesting traversal system and a much better sandbox.

I don't think Assassin's Creed is bad, I did everything in the base game of Origins which was probably about 80 hours. The funny thing is I don't remember a lot about that game except vagaries. It definitely felt checkbox gaming and if you have OCD, will burn you out. haha

TrueLegend

Tales of Arise
Scarlett Nexus if you got gamepass....
Best Stories this year so far
But with your choices
Either Ghosts of Tsushima directors cut or Shadow of the colossus will be fine.
Shadow of the colossus is shorter, direct, a bit linear, and pretty much is all about the story which is extremely minimal. Ghost of Tsushima has a lot of side content and has full fledged Story....

If you have time and want a slow-burn experience, then I can't recommend Death Stranding enough. It is a "lonely experience" much like shadow of the colossus but with great traversal mechanics and the Kojima narrative. Definitely a good game to take it slow and enjoy the world.

If you want a great open-world game with a satisfying gameplay loop after mastering its combat system, then Ghost of Tsushima is a must play. The story in Ghost is good and I think what makes the game for me was the setting and the world itself. Despite being an Island, SuckerPunch delivered in scenery diversity, we have bamboo forests, giant tree forest, rain forest, rice plantations, riverside villages, golden leaf forest, a forest straight out of autumn season, flower fields, cliffs, gorges, beaches, shipwrecks, caverns, temples of all sizes, snowy-area, waterfalls, lakes, mountains, and many more.

There is a lot to see and explore in the game. If Death Stranding has the world at its center while you fight against it to make your way through it, then Ghost has the world at its center inviting you to explore and be amazed by its scenery. One of the best gaming experiences I had in years despite feeling fed up with the open-world genre.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my Top 3 games of all time, so I'm biased to say you must play it BUT only if you are in the mood. The isolation of its world and lack of in-game music while exploring can be overwhelming if you aren't having a great day. It really is a depressing journey into self-reflection and will mostly be questioning your actions if you give its narrative a deeper thought. I recommend it with some reservations.

Infamous Second Son, it's another SuckerPunch game. It has a lot of open-world elements like meaningless sidequests with no narrative behind them, fetch-quests, collectibles, cleaning outposts, and the story is the weakest in the InFamous franchise. The game was rushed to meet the PS4 launch despite being delayed to a few months after the console's debut. I like that SuckerPunch tried to do a more character-focused narrative to Delsin (the MC) but I found it quite lacking the impact until the very end, with the Karma system being the weakest in the series so far. Ghost of Tsushima improved into everything InFamous couldn't achieve, both in story and gameplay. It's a solid game, however the weakest entry of the InFamous series, and maybe its last one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So I'm currently really enjoying Halo Infinite and Forza 5 but they're not my usual games as I prefer story driven campaigns (Halo Infinite campaign is my most anticipated game this year).

Obviously Dec 8th is a while away so I've decided to dust off the old PS4 Pro. The question is what should I play, I've got it down to these, I nfamous second son, Ghosts of tsushima directors cut, Shadow of the colossus or Death Stranding?
Out of those 4 GoT and SotC by a mile, great games. I enjoyed Infamous 2 much more than Second Son. Haven’t played DS so can’t comment.

Although is not that much story driven: Shadow of the Colossus. This game is something special and was way ahead of its time.

If you have time and want a slow-burn experience, then I can't recommend Death Stranding enough. It is a "lonely experience" much like shadow of the colossus but with great traversal mechanics and the Kojima narrative. Definitely a good game to take it slow and enjoy the world.

If you want a great open-world game with a satisfying gameplay loop after mastering its combat system, then Ghost of Tsushima is a must play. The story in Ghost is good and I think what makes the game for me was the setting and the world itself. Despite being an Island, SuckerPunch delivered in scenery diversity, we have bamboo forests, giant tree forest, rain forest, rice plantations, riverside villages, golden leaf forest, a forest straight out of autumn season, flower fields, cliffs, gorges, beaches, shipwrecks, caverns, temples of all sizes, snowy-area, waterfalls, lakes, mountains, and many more.

There is a lot to see and explore in the game. If Death Stranding has the world at its center while you fight against it to make your way through it, then Ghost has the world at its center inviting you to explore and be amazed by its scenery. One of the best gaming experiences I had in years despite feeling fed up with the open-world genre.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my Top 3 games of all time, so I'm biased to say you must play it BUT only if you are in the mood. The isolation of its world and lack of in-game music while exploring can be overwhelming if you aren't having a great day. It really is a depressing journey into self-reflection and will mostly be questioning your actions if you give its narrative a deeper thought. I recommend it with some reservations.

Infamous Second Son, it's another SuckerPunch game. It has a lot of open-world elements like meaningless sidequests with no narrative behind them, fetch-quests, collectibles, cleaning outposts, and the story is the weakest in the InFamous franchise. The game was rushed to meet the PS4 launch despite being delayed to a few months after the console's debut. I like that SuckerPunch tried to do a more character-focused narrative to Delsin (the MC) but I found it quite lacking the impact until the very end, with the Karma system being the weakest in the series so far. Ghost of Tsushima improved into everything InFamous couldn't achieve, both in story and gameplay. It's a solid game, however the weakest entry of the InFamous series, and maybe its last one.
Thanks for taking the time with such an informative post. I've gone with GOT as I want some good action as well as a good story.

Which sounds the best to you? Hard to answer for you better than you could for yourself. Out of those, Ghost of Tsushima is MY favorite...

shadow of the colossus showed how you can make an open world game without needing millions of collectibles or side quests. so many games, especially these days, can learn so much from it.

all those games are good but for death stranding, you will have to try it and see. its a very unique and different game but i can see how some will find it boring and tedious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom