• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was everyone's first computer and first computer game?

DJ_Lae

Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle are great games. In a way they were way ahead of their time.

They are the first games that I can recall that used the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming.

It was incredibly difficult for me at 5 or 6.

I also remember how awesome it was when I booted it up in December to find out it had a Christmas tree on the menu screen.

With all of the great games from that area getting remakes, I'd love to see someone port or remake this.

Yeah, they have a Genesis port but it's pretty awful due to the mapping of mouse controls (among other issues). I'd love a working emulated version through GoG or something.

And it was damn hard for me as a kid, I didn't beat it for years. Beyond Dark Castle was a little easier.

Viridian6

Some Compaq running MS-DOS I think. Anyway my first game was the original Alone in the Dark. Never did play any of the sequels.

1438634963_1.jpg

I don't remember if my parents bought me a TRS-80 Color Computer II as part of that promotion, but I think it dates back to '83 or maaaaaybe '84.

I mostly used to transcribe games in BASIC from the big binder that came with the computer as well as my own rudimentary, barely-qualifying-as-games text games. I don't remember if I had any dedicated games in cartridge form, unless you count barely gamified educational stuff. I remember having some kind of space shooter on cassette along with Cookie Monster's Number Crunch.

Sou Da

It was some shitty gateway, and the game was a spiderweb software rpg that to this day I can't fucking remember the name of.

hellocld

Some old 8088 machine with 512kb of RAM
maybe 1MB, I can't remember
and two 5.25" floppy drives. I had a few games for it, but spent most of my time playing with ZZT or Zork, or trying to write text adventures in GWBasic. Good times.

I had a 80286 12 Mhz beast. I believe it had a huge 40mb hard drive. My dad and I seriously questioned how we would ever fill up that much space. That may have been on the next PC though.

My first game for it was "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?". It was pretty great at the time and, as a bonus, came with an almanac.

prag16

Banned
My parents' old Commodore 64... and I believe Donkey Kong. And some overhead view flight simulator type game.

Can't remember the game, but the machine was Commodore 64. It might have been Wizard of Wor module. Can't remember really. But it was a glorious piece of wonder. I played a lot, I even learned some C to create my own text based adventure games. Fun times.

Then I got a NES and then Amiga 500. My first PC was a 486 then 188 MHz Pentium 1.

My first computer was a custom built 66mhz Intel with floppy disk, and the first game I played was Dave and dig dug outside of number crunchers an doregon trail in elementary school.

BlackRock

First computer was a family computer in 1987 when I was 8. It was a Tandy 1000 HX. It featured an 80286 processor, 256 kB of system memory, and came with Tandy DOS. There was no hard drive. It had only a single floppy drive. We had the version with the 3.5" floppy drive instead of the older 5.25". One of the best features about it was the beautiful 16 color EGA graphics which were cutting edge at the time.

The very first game I got for it was King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne. I'd seen an advertisement for it in a magazine, and as a child it captivated me. I remember the graphics looking so cool at the time. That was my introduction to gaming. I devoured the Sierra catalog and would spend hours looking through the Sierra Online magazine when it would arrive. One of the things about Sierra was that they were amazing at staying in touch with their fans. It really felt like being part of a community of gamers long before I knew anything about networking or the Internet.

tandy-1000hx.png
627431-box_kq2.jpg
kq2ss4.gif

Eblo

My first computer was probably some indistinct model with Windows 95; I can't really remember it well. My first PC game, however, was the truly remarkable masterpiece, The Curse of Monkey Island:

The_Curse_of_Monkey_Island_%28PC%29_30.png

I have no idea what my parents bought but there was an old Compaq in our house that was there pretty much FOREVER, and still functioned to a degree when I was 14...but you had to let it rest for like 3 days else it would be laggy as hell. I wouldn't be surprised if that was my first serious computer.

As for game, it was probably some edutainment game....I remember the Jumpstart games quite fondly.

Can't remember exactly but it was from the early 90s.

The 3 games I remember playing the most:

SU-25 Stormovik
box.jpg

Jordan vs Bird: One on One
21400-jordan-vs-bird-one-on-one-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
221390-where-in-the-world-is-carmen-sandiego-dos-front-cover.png

Into

I cant recall the computer, but the 3 games i first played on a PC were Doom, Warcraft 2 and Raptor.

What a great introduction to the platform, here is Raptor showing that a PC can do what a console can, and here is Doom and Warcraft 2, two genres i had limited experience with on consoles.

BKK

Acorn Electron + Boxer + Arcadians. Had to play it on a portable Black & White TV with a dial for tuning.

BqTsxQy.jpg

Seishin

My first PC was either a 286 or a 386; I honestly can't remember which. The days of good old DOS.

My first PC game, though? I remember that:
dangerous-dave-ss1.gif

Youngsters! ;)

My family's first computer as the Coleco ADAM.

adam.gif

May I can still hear the daisy wheel printer as my mom printed out a letter or something. We got it when it was still pretty new, so 1985 or so. As it was a Coleco it had many games ported to it, my favourites at the time were Dam Busters (my god I loved that game, the Coleco controller with the number pad was key!) and Pitfall but those were just Colecovision games I think.

My first computer game proper I guess was Super Zaxxon, because that was only on the ADAM. I still remember my brother and I waiting for the tape drive to load the game lol.

My first computer as well. Still remember playing Buck Rogers on casette on it

batfax

2w2Ilsb.jpg

PACKARD BELL PACK-MATE 3987CD (picture is just one i found on the net)

Not my first, but this is one I remember the most. Or at least one like it. Whatever we had before was some weird thing I can't seem to find anything about any more, I just remember playing Codename Iceman on it. When we got the Bell though, it came with the far more memorable Journeyman Project: Turbo.

jptboxt.gif

sci-cntr.jpg

pegmach.jpg

marsgan.jpg

The logo's in the background my my avatar... more or less covered by random crap. I'll probably take most of it off at some point.

edit: Though technically my preschool had Apple... ]['s? I think? I definitely played stuff on there like Oregon Trail.

First one I played games on would be I think, a DEC PDP-11 at my dads work, that had a copy of the original Adventure on it. Oh and the Star Trek game. That's going to be late 70s, maybe 1980-1981?

First one I actually owned was a ZX Spectrum, and the first game would be the free breakout clone on the welcome cassette. I bought it pretty much at launch, with paper round money. Took ages to turn up though, as they massively under-produced for their initial orders. Plus ca change.

Had a Packard Bell something or another. First game that I can recall was Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide, When Its Dark Outside.

My first computer was a 25mhz PC with a turbo button that would boost it up to 33mhz :p

First computer game I played was Oregon Trail on a Macintosh. On PC the first game was probably Wolf 3D

Intel Pentium I running Windows 95 on 28.8 dialup.

First game: Duke Nukem 3d, followed by Doom, followed by Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

PC: Clone 286-16Mhz from some local computer shop
Game: I got 2: King's Quest V and Wing Commander

In retrospect, those were good picks with my new computer

joecanada

Some 386 I think. I can't remember which game came first maybe someone with a better memory could but I enjoyed
Wolfenstein, death track, Mechwarrior 2, space quest 4

Also loved playing archon on my friends commodore before that

Tudor

The first computer that my family owned and that i used was an Apple SE30 (4MB RAM) and the first game i ever played was Lemmings, but the first that i really remember is 'Where in the world is Carmen Santiago?'

The first computer that i owned was a Pentium III based system with a TNT Riva2, which enabled me to play the early need for speed games starting my obsession with racing sims.

radjago

The first computer that I remember using the TI-99/4A and the first game I remember playing is Donkey Kong. A Nintendo game published by Atari on a chip hardware maker's platform.

We had an Atari VCS since I could remember and a Commodore 64 almost as long.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My first would be a Colecovision ADAM that my grandfather had at his warehouse, gave it to me years after the fact, and it came with a copy of Buck Rogers (very good early SEGA game, almost like a prototypical Super Scaler game). That shortly broke down, though... and eventually for my confirmation in '95 I got a Gateway 2000 Pentium 1, 75mhz. And Ultimate DOOM was my first game for it.

JackelZXA

I realized recently that my first pc game was commander keen. I was so young that I didnt really understand what I was playing.

Pejo

My family had a Commodore 64 before a lot of my friends' families had computers. I remember playing a few games, don't remember their names though. There was a chess game, a text based adventure game, and my favorite of the bunch, a game where you play as a helicopter and fly left to right, blowing stuff up. It was hilarious that we were using cassette tapes as storage for that computer.

Pentium 166 desktop pc.
Came with a few free "games", the best ones were Space station Simulator and The 3rd Dimension (basically a 3d mario paint).

My first real game bought was Age of Empires Gold. Good times.

Atari 2600. Loved it.
First game was either Pole Position (an F1 or Indy car game) or Centipede
He said pc not console.

Top Bottom