• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Media Molecule thinking with their Move tech demo?

pottuvoi

Banned
Very impressive demonstration in terms of both conceptually and technically.
I wonder if they render everything as distance fields and was their demo actually realtime? (It had very good looking GI..)

Stampy

Some pictures of the sculptures:

What is most perplexing is the detail of those sculptures. For example, just look at the angel wings in the second picture. I am dumbfounded how they achieved that with only the Move controller.

picture.jpg

picture2.jpg

ASIS

Nope, about 25-ish% of people in this thread, and plenitude of them on the internet.

Anyway, what do you guys think how will they address the necessity to move the created characters in the 3D world. From the video it is somewhat clear that Move won't be able to freely move the characters around the world when acting out. I guess this would be used in combination with stick (for movement). Which makes Navi+Move combo useful. But on the other hand, we don't even know if PS4 will support Navi controller.

I don't get why this is a worry. If the move is supported then why not the Navi?

Stampy

I don't get why this is a worry. If the move is supported then why not the Navi?

DS3 is not supported. Hence the idea that maybe Navi wouldn't be also. :/ I mean it's their corporate decision what they do, although I agree that it wouldn't make any sense, but then again, why disable the opportunity for consumers to use DS3 in the first place. For example for 4 party play you should buy 4 DS4s. :/

Although the most creative presentation, it was also the most Cringe-inducing bullshit. That last part was aggravatingly embarrassing.

Regardless of the the whole model sculpting part (which seemed very cool), the whole WII Music flashback I had was so damn embarrassing.

I was talking with my brother at the time as we watched to conference together... and we both yelled Wii Music at the same time.

ASIS

DS3 is not supported. Hence the idea that maybe Navi wouldn't be also. :/ I mean it's their corporate decision what they do, although I agree that it wouldn't make any sense, but then again, why disable the opportunity for consumers to use DS3 in the first place. For example for 4 party play you should buy 4 DS4s. :/

Does the PS3 read the navi as a DS3 though? That's news to me.

Binabik15

I sculpt tabletop minis with sculpting putty and FIMO, which I love. Experimenting on a whim without having to do wire supports, baking or mixing and letting the putty cure etc would be FUCKING AWESOME for me. I'd buy a good sculpting tech demo or whatever they showed in a heartbeat with any peripherals you need to do it.

As long as it is cheaper than ZBrush and easier to use. I had no idea how to do anything decently when I had the demo.

What is most perplexing is the detail of those sculptures. For example, just look at the angel wings in the second picture. I am dumbfounded how they achieved that with only the Move controller.

picture.jpg

picture2.jpg

I assume you'd be able to attach any virtual attachments to the "brush" so you can create fine alterations to the sculpture. On top of that you'd also be able to manipulate the model in space as if you're sculpting it yourself.

I thought it added some levity to all of the action games and shooting games they showed. Nice change of pace. I'm not convinced that this is a new IP or even a Move game. It's likely a creation tool that the user would be able to use that is part of a larger game. Kind of like the Move support in Little Big Planet 2.

sullytao

I thought it was a brilliant demo. Can you imagine what there next few games will be like with those types of creative tools? I really doubt they are building a full fledged music game as well. If it is anything more than a small tool I will be surprised.

Boogdud

I found it hilarious for me personally.

"Brilliant professional artists can make creative things out of thin air, even with awkward tools"

Whodathunk it?

Meanwhile everything I make will look like something your dogs leave in your yard.

But for those people that seem to always make great things with LBP, etc. it'll be pretty exciting to see what they come up with. So I can enjoy it ;)

Ploid 3.0

I found it hilarious for me personally.

"Brilliant professional artists can make creative things out of thin air, even with awkward tools"

Whodathunk it?

Meanwhile everything I make will look like something your dogs leave in your yard.

But for those people that seem to always make great things with LBP, etc. it'll be pretty exciting to see what they come up with. So I can enjoy it ;)

Exactly, they even mentioned this. You'll be able to use their creations in your world.

noah111

Still Alive

picture.jpg

picture2.jpg
It is really incredible. I think it can be done, but the interface for it must be really something special if it can allow for all that with relative ease. I can't wait for them to make a full blown game-creator out of this.

Duffyside

Banned

picture.jpg

picture2.jpg

Wouldn't you just be able to zoom in close to do it?

Stampy

Maybe I am wrong, since I am totally artistically inept, but I have a feeling that it will be easier to sculpt objects in 3D then to draw them in 2D in LBP. For example, in LBP you always had to think how you will present a 2D object as a 3D one (it is easier to sculpt a realistic 3D table, then to draw one in 2D, or to sculpt a basic 3D house than to draw it in 2D without it looking like a child’s cardboard cutout. Of course, more complex stuff will be hard to do in 3D or even harder (because flaws in volume will be even more apparent), but for simple geometrically shaped objects I think 3D sculpting is much more user friendly.

onQ123

Closes thread that I could find to what's in this video.

Sixense MakeVR | 3D Immersive Design Coming to Kickstarter

Sixense MakeVR is coming to Kickstarter and you can follow us on Facebook at http://on.fb.me/16gpZp6 and learn more at www.sixense.com | MakeVR is a creative modeling application that introduces a new user interface designed specifically for interacting with 3D worlds. MakeVR eliminates traditional menus and operations, instead relying on the user'snatural gestures to manipulate objects and tools through the use of six-degree-of-freedom input devices that precisely track the movement and absolute position and orientation of both hands in three dimensions. MakeVR makes use of the Razer Hydra, and support for other 3D input devices, such as depth cameras, is planned. For the full virtual reality experience, MakeVR is also compatible with the upcoming Oculus Rift head-mounted display.

onQ123

GDC 2013: MakeVR Virtual Reality 3D Modeling -- Interview with Sixense's Solotko and Mlyniec

Read the accompanying article: http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/03/gd...
Official MakeVR site: http://www.sixense.com/makevr

Sixense, maker of the Razer Hydra controller, is about to storm into the software arena with an impressive user-friendly computer aided design program called MakeVR. The software is built from the ground up with Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support. The combination enables even entirely inexperienced users to make complex 3D models with ease, while at the same time retaining powerful CAD functionality. In addition to trying MakeVR for myself at GDC 2013, I sat down with Sixense's Simon Solotko and Paul Mlyniec to learn more about this ambitious project.

Stampy

If I understood right from their video, they are planning to use this technology with new hardware. Just because of that it seem pretty hard to become mainstream. :/

Limanima

My guess is that they are working on a title based on that (modelling with the move) but it wasn't ready to be shown yet. Maybe a game in the same line as Minecraft. Just guessing...

Top Bottom