• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was that Akklaim WWF game with Doink the Clown?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It was during the Saturn/PSOne generation (prolly around 1995-early 96) which was a conversion of a Midway arcade game, I believe....

It was the one with crazy shit like Bats coming out of the Undertaker and crazy Doink the Clown antics and some good, humorous announcing...

You may laugh, but I really loved this game when it was out.....very funny...

Anyone else enjoy it?

bill0527

Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game.

I had it for PSOne.

At the time, it was the coolest damn wrestling game you could get.

I still have fond memories of taking people's heads off with a whip into the ropes and a big viscious running Brett Hart clothesline.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
God, I gotta get my hands on that game again.....I think I did a preview of that game (Saturn version) at GameFan.....I remember getting in trouble with Halverson for playing it too much and not getting any other work done :lol

raYne

I figured it was Wrestlemania the arcade game, the Doink antics pretty much sealed it. The huge hammer and the handshake shocker etc. :lol

bill0527

You can get it for about $1 + shipping on ebay.

There's also a SNES version and a Sega Genesis version I believe, but I doubt they are as good as the PSOne version.

This was definately one of my all-time favorite wrestling games and nobody seems to ever remember it when talking about great wrestling games. Aki gets all the love, but Akklaim got it right with this game. It was innovative with the digitized characters, it had over the top gameplay, and it controlled really well. I think I bought it at the Playstation launch or soon thereafter and this game and Warhawk got A LOT of play time.

cvxfreak

:lol This was the game I bought with my PlayStation in September 1996.

I loved being Yokosuna and beating the pants off of everyone.

*searches Ebay*

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The SNES version was just as good as the other ports, except for the fact that it was missing two characters. I think they were Yokozuna and Bam Bam.

I've got to play this game again. I loved it. :D

Barrage

I had the SNES Version. Pretty fun. I remember liking the SNES' rendtition of Bret Hart's theme music.

And yeah, the SNES version didn't have Bam Bam or Yokozuna.

shuri

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
The SNES version was just as good as the other ports, except for the fact that it was missing two characters. I think they were Yokozuna and Bam Bam.

I've got to play this game again. I loved it. :D

.. the snes version had massive slowdowns and loading (!) times, I believe, like in Fatal Fury

evil ways

The sounds were also watered down on the Snes version.

I remember how once someone discovered Undertaker's "fatality", everybody started to try and find the ones for all the other wrestlers but there were no others.

I agree. One of the greatest wrestling game of all time. It surprises me that a sequel never came out.

The Undertaker dropping tombstones whenever he was getting hit, Bret Hart was hearts, Yokozuna was fishes, HBK...what was it again?

If I remember correctly, the PSone and Saturn versions were good but not totally arcade perfect. The characters were smaller and the colors weren't as good, with missing details.

One of my top 10 arcade games from the 90's easily.

robot

I think I remember pieces of roastbeef flying everywhere when Yokuzuna took a beating. That was a crazy ass game.

EDIT ^ haha, i remember the fishes too!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
robot said:
I think I remember pieces of roastbeef flying everywhere when Yokuzuna took a beating. That was a crazy ass game.

EDIT ^ haha, i remember the fishes too!
ROASTBEEF?! :lol

They should have made it rice. :D

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
I agree. One of the greatest wrestling game of all time. It surprises me that a sequel never came out.

B00000I1C3.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

199348_sat.jpg

wwfinyou_screen003.jpg

wwfinyou_screen001.jpg

Never played In Your House, but it looks a lot like a sequel.

Wrestlemania arcade rocked. I loved how real and crisp the graphics were, and the combo system was mad fun. I bought the PC port which was kinda crappy. By the time I got a PSX and Saturn I didn't care to own it.

shuri

Banned
I liked the pc port, it was the best home port at the time since it had none of fruity loading time of the psx version. And that In your house cover is one of the shittiest ever. I never managed to find that game in stores or anywhere else at the time, it's like it was a mystical thing, hell for years i thought that my cousin was bullshitting me with the existance of that game.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
I liked the pc port, it was the best home port at the time since it had none of fruity loading time of the psx version. And that In your house cover is one of the shittiest ever. I never managed to find that game in stores or anywhere else at the time, it's like it was a mystical thing, hell for years i thought that my cousin was bullshitting me with the existance of that game.

I dunno, if memory serves, the PSX version had a much better color palette, sound quality and sprite resolution. Then again, load times never bothered me much...

evil ways

LakeEarth said:
What's the 'fatality' like?

Undertaker summons a casket from from the ground, shoves the opponent in, shuts it close and the casket goes back to the ground while Taker raises the golden urn.

shuri

Banned
Mikazuki said:
I dunno, if memory serves, the PSX version had a much better color palette, sound quality and sprite resolution. Then again, load times never bothered me much...

Maybe, it's been nearly a decade since last time I played the pc version; seeing it now would probably make it more obvious, since back then I was like 16 and didnt care much about things like that, the crazy thought of having a quality arcade port was already too much to handle for me at the time :lol

I remember how INCREDIBLE the PC port of mk3 looked back in the days.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
evil ways said:
Undertaker summons a casket from from the ground, shoves the opponent in, shuts it close and the casket goes back to the ground while Taker raises the golden urn.
Oh god, did any of you ever see WrestleCrap.com show the feature of the actual Undertaker telling you how to do this special? HILARITY I TELLS YOU.

Mikazuki said:
B00000I1C3.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

199348_sat.jpg

wwfinyou_screen003.jpg

wwfinyou_screen001.jpg

Never played In Your House, but it looks a lot like a sequel.

Wrestlemania arcade rocked. I loved how real and crisp the graphics were, and the combo system was mad fun. I bought the PC port which was kinda crappy. By the time I got a PSX and Saturn I didn't care to own it.

Right...It came back to me after I posted. The game was pretty crappy if I remember correctly, nowhere near the original one.

I didn't know there was a PC port. If only I could find it somewhere.

bill0527

The Main Event said:
Right...It came back to me after I posted. The game was pretty crappy if I remember correctly, nowhere near the original one.

I didn't know there was a PC port. If only I could find it somewhere.

Its on ebay also. You can pick up any of them on ebay - the Genesis version, PC version, SNES version, and the PSOne version, but the PSOne version is the hardest to come by.

bill0527 said:
Its on ebay also. You can pick up any of them on ebay - the Genesis version, PC version, SNES version, and the PSOne version, but the PSOne version is the hardest to come by.

Cool thanks.

Anyanka

I used to play it all the time, the big KI style combos were great. At one point I've owned every version of it but now just have it for Saturn and PC. I probably played it for 32X the most.

I remember the big rumor was that Adam Bomb was a hidden character.

Top Bottom