• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF487

Darunia said:
The Wallguy thread was simply amazing. It came around the time I registered and it got me hooked on GAF. The initial reaction, Wallace Guyford, the Wallguy journey around the world,... All stuff of legends.

Wallace Guyford has me :lol-ing

luxarific

Nork unification denier
:lol The $599 thread is just as amusing today as it was back then. You can still see thousands of jaws dropping two years later. Thank you Sony!

GCX

Does anybody else remember how after the underwhelming E305 Nintendo conference fanboys started a crazy theory how Nintendo would have another mega show after the conference announcing everything about Revolution. Some people found several "hints" about the show on Nintendo.com and there was even some countdown which of course led to nothing. :lol

Crazy times.

eznark

Banned
I'm guessing the next big one (aside from some E3 mini meltdowns) comes with Too Human. The official too human thread is going to have pages of banned people.

1-D_FTW

Saint Gregory said:
Really? Was it the Banjo thread meltdown or did he come back and then get perma'd?

The story I heard was he got a ban from a mod. And thinking Amorix did it, he began hosting an anti-Amorix avatar. It turned out it wasn't Amorix who gave him the ban. And his punishment for the avatar was permaban.

Vinci

Danish
I would just like to say that one of the core reasons I decided to sign on at GAF was reading through the DQ IX DS thread. I laughed so hard I nearly cried.

1-D_FTW

Madman said:
See above. Although I think some of that may be innaccurate

Possibly. I heard the story once in the Online TF2 thread. I may not be remembering it correctly, or it may have just been told a little wrong.

Returners

I just saw this from the E3 06 Sony thread
:D

MrToughPants said:
$650 Canadian!!! That's so fucking expensive!!!

I'm going to wait until the Canadian dollar surpasses the U.S. dollar and then i'll buy one

stuminus3

:lol @ Wii controller revealed thread. I remember reading that at the time (as a lurker) just thinking "wtf is going on?". It's amazing to look back and see how some of us know absolutely nothing about anything. It's also amazing to look back and see the select few that were bang on the nose correct about the way things were going to be. Bizarre.

andycapps

I have to say that the Killzone trailer from last year at E3 was pretty epic when it looked pretty close to the original CGI trailer from several years ago. That's been the most epic in my time here (lurking and while a member). The Revolution becoming the Wii was pretty epic too.

beat

bune duggy said:
how did you miss the blue text in his message?
I have to squint like crazy to distinguish dark, dark blue from black, esp when both are against light grey-blue backgrounds.

Oh, how I wish links in posts were underlined. (Is there a greasemonkey way to do this?)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There was no real meltdown for Snake in Brawl announcement, from what I can recall.

Ultimately there are 3 huge meltdowns that will go down in GAF history.

1. Sega going 3rd party.
2. Wii remote being unveiled.
3. Dragon Quest IX heading to DS.

Everything else cannot touch those, even my favoured Himuro personal meltdown over Okami that spanned two bannings.

My favourite out of those top 3 though was the DQIX announcement, merely because Dragon Quest itself has a very tightly knit fanbase here on GAF yet for some reason it was being exploded out of proportions all because of the mantra that if a Dragon Quest is on your console then you are certified to win Japan. People who don't even like Dragon Quest were hating on the DS announcement merely because they wanted their console of choice to get it. You know gaming enthusiasts can be pretty fucking stupid when shit like that happens.

This thread has reminded me how often GAF was totally, completely, retardedly wrong:

- Dreamcast could compete against, and perhaps beat, PS2
- Shenmue was a good game
- Nintendo Third Party (wasn't always a joke catchphrase)
- Nintendo DS would fail
- Nintendo DS would fail spectacularly, after Sony announced $200 PSP price
- Revolution controller dumb idea
- No one would buy a console named Wii

gimz

Fowler said:
Damn. I waded through two pages before I realised that this was from 2007.
x2, i didnt realized this thread is old until i read my own reply on page 4...

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
This thread has reminded me how often GAF was totally, completely, retardedly wrong:

- Dreamcast could compete against, and perhaps beat, PS2
- Shenmue was a good game
- Nintendo Third Party (wasn't always a joke catchphrase)
- Nintendo DS would fail
- Nintendo DS would fail spectacularly, after Sony announced $200 PSP price
- Revolution controller dumb idea
- No one would buy a console named Wii
- You can walk into any store to buy a wii on the launch day afternoon

mooreupp

Someone might have brought this up, but I didn't want to wade through all 10 pages. There is a sight called Way Back When, which let you see some old webpages. Based on the info here I found this site from back in 2001 (although not from when DC died unforunately).

To see the original site from a bunch of different times just go to http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.gaming-age.com/forum . Unfortunately some of those don't work and I can't seem to get IGN from 2001 to work on Internet Explorer for some reason (the page comes up, but then an error message comes up instantly replaces it unless I hit stop at exactly the right time). 2001 does come up fine in AOL (yes laugh that I'm still using it) though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
speedpop said:
My favourite out of those top 3 though was the DQIX announcement, merely because Dragon Quest itself has a very tightly knit fanbase here on GAF yet for some reason it was being exploded out of proportions all because of the mantra that if a Dragon Quest is on your console then you are certified to win Japan. People who don't even like Dragon Quest were hating on the DS announcement merely because they wanted their console of choice to get it. You know gaming enthusiasts can be pretty fucking stupid when shit like that happens.

Pretty much.
Wanted it on Wii. :(

pgtl_10 said:
How about Wii not going HD?
Revelations about Wii design choices and specs were probably drawn out over too long a period of time for lack of hd to cause a single huge meltdown, Though I seem to recall things being a bit crazy when the depths of the lowness (GC x 1.5) were revealed by IGN.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
JoshuaJSlone said:
Revelations about Wii design choices and specs were probably drawn out over too long a period of time for lack of hd to cause a single huge meltdown, Though I seem to recall things being a bit crazy when the depths of the lowness (GC x 1.5) were revealed by IGN.

Oh god, and the people who wanted to believe all the fakers who said that it was stronger and people trying to explain why its stronger

The Wii is not a HD power machine, but what it does it does well, in Mario Kart I have never stopped to look at the graphics because the frantic gameplay keeps me far too occupied, you just can't exactly show screenshots of having fun like you can of the in game and thats where it loses out

TekunoRobby said:
The meltdown at E3 itself was FAR superior. Never have I seen such a huge amount of people just blow their lid. It was like Jesus Christ descended down upon everyone every hour on the hour at the Konami booth.
Is there a video of this? I've been looking for one of it forever.

YYZ

I was here for the DQIX announcement, but I had no idea it was such a big deal. Just disappointing that I have to play it on my DS, I would rather play it on a console. Wow I am late in getting my opinion out on that one :lol

One big one that only few mentioned was DMC4 going multiplatform, but I'm not sure if that was a meltdown here. I remember that news being a big deal though.

I can't believe Drinky caused that much shit with two words too, how embarrassing :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
1-D_FTW said:
The story I heard was he got a ban from a mod. And thinking Amorix did it, he began hosting an anti-Amorix avatar. It turned out it wasn't Amorix who gave him the ban. And his punishment for the avatar was permaban.
I dont know. I still think it was Amirox. Also the "anti-amirox" avatar wasnt such a big deal. Crushed was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom