• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the worst thing about the Matrix sequels?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
For me it was discovering that the capital of the 'free' world they are fighting for was just a bunch of hippies dancing in the mud

maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

eot

Banned
The god awful CGI. Neo looks plastic during some of the fight scenes, the choreograph for the fight scenes was just bad, the whole Zion thing was just cringey and not needed imo
The morpheus vs agent fight on the truck looks meh to me, something is off with either the lighting or the compositing

That they took the cool, mystery and action beats from the first one

And then trashed it all by trying to go deeper and further with it. (Big chunks of the second and especially almost all the third. although the action was cool for the time, mostly

The first was an amazing experience in a packed cinema, especially going in cold

But once the secrets of the matrix were out, they filmmakers seemed to decide that they would only raise the bar for special effects in the sequels and try to show how smart and clever they think they were (did you real care about Zion, etc ......)

They could all have been something special. Now, I am not even sure that a 4th film can save the series, or bring anything new

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
OP nailed it . The Zion rave and the sex scene were embarrassing.

But also the constant fighting (the highway scene must last, like, fifteen full minutes) and the infinite Agent Smiths were terrible.

That fucking playground fight scene, what the actual fuck. Its like they forgot to put the real cgi in the film and just left the screener effects in by accident. That shonky copy of xmen origins had better cgi.

I remember sitting in the cinema, watching the rave and thinking to myself 'Aren't all these people that escaped the matrix able to do so because they're a bunch of massively introverted computer geeks? They should be playing some matrix version of D&D instead of this bollocks'

But the main thing the sequels got wrong was spending too much time in the 'real' world. The first movie wormed because it was our reality being subverted, not some science fantasy world wank.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I loved Reloaded, at least back then, but I guess I'd need to rewatch it.

My biggest problem is Revolutions. Arriving something like 3/4 of a year later, and relying solely on Reloaded for plot set-up, and to deal with most of the fun/philosophical in-the-Matrix stuff, it felt like half a movie in terms of the story it was trying to tell, and not very much like a Matrix at all, with the focus on the real world.

Films... don't work that way. You can't just slice them in half, and expect an audience to take them as a whole. Revolutions needed to stand up by itself as a Matrix movie, and it didn't.

It felt like the equivalent of pausing a movie for a couple of days, and coming back to watch the finale.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Making a sequel to such a great movie is a hard pill to swallow.

XyHsaq.gif

I think Matrix 4 will come down to how good Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss is

Mr Hyde

In Reloaded it was pretty much everything except the freeway scene, which single handedly payed for the ticket. The action delivered there has not been topped yet. Simply an amazing achievement in the art of high octane action.

Reloaded as a whole was desperately trying to sound intellectually, so much that no one, not even the fucking creators of it, understood what was going on. The rave party at Zion and the aforementioned sex scene, produced cringe levels never before seen, and I remember nothing but torture during the entire scene, which lasted an eternity.

Revolutions I don't remember one single thing about, which I'm actually grateful of because I've heard through the grapevine that the movie causes permanent brain damage if you see it. Which explains why I don't remember anything.

Fuck.

For me it was discovering that the capital of the 'free' world they are fighting for was just a bunch of hippies dancing in the mud

maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

I always found it funny how you see no semblance of that idiotic shit in the third movie. A fucking rag orgy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The other worst part I remember was Neo stepping out into a mountain range and the door closing behind him, trapping him. Then he had to fly off to rescue Trinity IIRC. That was some DBZ "Goku is on the way for 30 episodes" bullshit.

Corrik

I thought the train driver stuff / area and a lot of the Merovingian stuff was pointless (despite Persephone's tits). The 100 Smith fight had terrible cgi also.

I mostly liked them though.

Karmic Raze

You guys give the 100 Smiths fight shit, but that was CGI in 2003. For the time it was pretty damn revolutionary. I thought all 3 movies were awesome, but each one got progressively worse. Revolutions would have been better had it not focused so much on the real world antics.

The Neo/Smith fight at the end was great, but that was what I was waiting for the entire movie. Everything but that and the club fight scene was boring. Reloaded might be my favorite of all 3 simply because it was the first R rated movie I went and bought my own ticket to myself and I saw it multiple times, so I may be biased. However, I thought it was pretty damn exciting regardless of cringe Inducing rave scenes.

I really hope the 4th Matrix is good. It sucks Laurence Fishburne isn’t coming back, though. He IS Morpheus. Maybe it will revitalize the whole franchise and bring about a new trilogy that is better in every single way. A guy can hope, can’t he?

I thought the train driver stuff / area and a lot of the Merovingian stuff was pointless .

Those parts explain that the machine civilization is not Skynet (which it 95% is in the first movie) and reinforce the cyclical nature of the Matrix. Now, was all this really needed? I can't tell. Would Neo's bargain make sense without the movies making it so clear that the machines are basically human?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't remember much about the sequels except:

1. They sucked

2. There was hype about those dopey albino twins, yet they were barely in the movie

3. The sequels changed from mindbending sci-fi and human/matrix coexistence to 100% machinegun video game battles with mech suits

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The end didn't make any sense. Neo didn't destroy Smith, Smith just self destructed for no apparent reason. They shouldn't have made the movie if they didn't know how to end it.

Kagey K

Banned
To be continued......

The worst thing a movie can do, and I went to that shit day one in theatres to leave pissed off.

A good trilogy will tell 3 self contained stories that tie together, instead of that shit.

Rockondevil

The end didn't make any sense. Neo didn't destroy Smith, Smith just self destructed for no apparent reason. They shouldn't have made the movie if they didn't know how to end it.

Smith took over Neo. The machine world then destroyed Neo, who was Smith, thus killing Smith.
The machine world knew that the program Smith was becoming too much and was overwhelming everything.
The machines need the Matrix to run without problems as that’s their power source.

After they took out Smith it seems like the world just rebooted without his program having been essentially erased.

Smith took over Neo. The machine world then destroyed Neo, who was Smith, thus killing Smith.
The machine world knew that the program Smith was becoming too much and was overwhelming everything.
The machines need the Matrix to run without problems as that’s their power source.

After they took out Smith it seems like the world just rebooted without his program having been essentially erased.
Wasn't it more along the lines of neo knowing he couldn't beat Smith from the outside so let Smith assimilate him, knowing he was stronger and would be able to beat him from the inside.

Top Bottom