• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first video game?

Stiler

My first console game that I remember was Pole Position on the Atari 2600.

My fist pc game was either Oregon Trail, Tecmo Bowl, or Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.

I can't remember which one was first, all of them I played back in elementary school in the late 80's in like 3rd/4th grade.

oRuin

Pong was the first for me. Played it with my dad when I was about 5.
First game on my own console was Duck Hunt.

Aisen

Neo Member
Probably Pac-Man or Donkey Kong for me.
For home consoles it was probably one of those shitty pong clones. I found and bought them all the time at garage sales when I was a child until I finally scored an atari clone.

Kadin

Kaboom! for the Atari 2600. Thinking about playing that game with the paddles sure does bring back some memories.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't know it was my absolute first, but the first of significance was Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum. Really captured my 5 or 6 year old imagination I recall.

letaint

Banned
joust_pal_3.gif

Look at those beautiful graphics...

My very first was an ABCs game on my dads old IBM computer in the mid-80s. I was probably around 3 years old and all you did was push the key on the keyboard that matched the big letter that was shown on the screen.

Some other notable games I remember playing on that PC that were more like actual games:

Loadrunner
Boulder Dash
Thexder
Joust

My earliest video game memory was my older half-sister holding me up so I could play Mrs. Pac-Man in a laundry mat. I don't remember how old I was. Maybe 4-5 years old?

The first video game I was actually decent at was Mario Bros., which I played at a nearby grocery store when I was maybe 7 years old.

Tough one!

My first game was FIFA 98 on my dad's PC. I also played a lot of NHL 98 back then. The first game I played on my very own device (GBA) was FIFA 04. I also enjoyed some Lucas Arts games (mainly Star Wars) and Crash Bandicoot on it.

The game that "introduced" me into the world of gaming was UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception. (Man I was pissed as my parents wouldn't buy me a copy (I was 14 and the game is rated 16+ here in Germany), but I the smile was pretty wide as I opened my Christmas presents ^^ )

The time in between was filled by some more FIFA as well as F1 and Jak & Daxter on PS2.

My first video game was the bundle pack that came with the NES. I believe it was Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. I've been playing video games ever since.

Hmm, it was definitely a Master System title as that was the first system we had growing up. Either Wonderboy in Monster Land, Ghostbusters, Choplifter, Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, or Rampage. Don't recall specifically which game I played first.

Zubz

Banned
I always thought it was either Sonic 2 or Duck Hunt, but my dad played a lot of video games, and he'd often just let me mess around with them ever since I had the motor skills to hold a controller. Honestly, it could be any game for the NES or Genesis.

I can't really remember exactly, but it would've been something on my cousins' NES. Probably Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I then borrowed an Atari from another cousin, who had a ton of games. River Raid was the best.

Some old Viking history game on an old Acorn RiscOS computer at school probably. Or Lemmings.

The first proper game was probably The Last Ninja on C64.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Doom_II_-_Hell_on_Earth_Coverart.png

I really do love this game. I still remember typing run BOOM2 in to start the game because of some custom stuff my dad installed. It was years before I found out what boom2 actually was and did.

Vkandrew

First game I ever played was sonic 2. My parents bought me a Genesis when I was about 5 and I loved it. It still hurts every time I think about the current state of Sonic...

wondermega

Early 80s, I was 6 or 7. My neighbor had Atari 2600 with a bunch of games - Pacman, Dpace Invaders, Circus. I feel like Space Invaders was probably the 1st. But so long ago, I might have played an arcade machine before that.

I remember being pretty taken with the notion of controlling something on the screen back then. It wasn't super life-changing, but by nature it felt rather different than what other toys there were (or simply watching TV passively). As I got my head more around it - and the magic of how powerful an arcade machine "seemed" - even at a young age I had reverence for the things, like how an adult might view drugs (okay I am over explaining probably)
I don't recall pushing too hard for my own, but my folks got me an Atari 400 and a few of the hits of the day - Pacman, centipede, donkey kong, dig dug, etc. Compared to the 2600 it was practically next-gen! As much as I enjoyed them - and I truly did - it wasn't until a few years after the crash when I got wind that the NES was going to launch. Their TV ads had me hook, line, and sinker. I truly really NEEDED that shit.

dirron

Neo Member
First game I can remember playing was a Castlevania game on the SNES at a local laundromat. First game I owned was Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for my Gameboy Pocket.

Nny7229

Probably Mario on my mom's SNES. I also remember playing Street Fighter 2 with my great grandma. She'd kick my ass with Chun Li.

Can't quite remember the name. Is was on either the Atart 2600 or the Intellevision. It was similar to space invaders but sometimes a big UFO would come down at you.

Shadow of the Beast & Dungeon Master on the Amiga 1000 are the 2 earliest games I remember most. I remember both being AMAZING at the time. The Amiga took a dump all over DOS and early Windows gaming for years in the early to mid 90s.

I picked up a like-new Amiga 1200 2-3 yrs ago for the collection. Its cool taking a trip down memory lane every once in a while. Even though its difficult for me to play most of these older games for very long, Dungeon Master oddly holds up really well.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Pac Man, came bundled with the Atari 2600 back in '83. What a crap game. Worst bundled game I've had and I bought a 3DO bundled with Shockwave. ;-)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Super Mario Bros on NES. Cliche, but if I could do it all again, I wouldn't have it any other way...

Top Bottom