• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your reaction when you found out that Samus was a girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samus_at_the_end_of_Metroid.png

I was 4. Metroid was literally the first game I ever played (around 1987 or so). So I was obviously too young to understand the significance of it all.

What about you? Were you surprised? Did you think it was cool? Did you not care?

Go!

Pretty sure it was through Smash Bros since I played that before Metroid. I basically just went, "huh, cool" and that was it.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
I got into Metroid around Prime 2/Zero Mission so it was public knowledge at that point. Completely baffled that it was ever a shocking reveal at all.

dcx4610

I grew up with women acting tough in movies like Aliens and Terminator so I had no problem with it. I just thought it was neat.

Neiteio

I immediately wrote an angry letter to GAF Magazine, complaining about Nintendo caving to the demands of those goshdarn SoCal Jujitsu Warios.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think I cared that much.

First time I learned about it was the Super Metroid comics in Nintendo Power, which made me want to play the game.

JediLink

You're pretty much only addressing people over 30 years old here. It was only a twist in the very first game and they've made no effort to hide her gender ever since.

Regiruler

I didn't have a reaction. It was really just a fact. I was born in 96, by the point I was playing games the fact that she was a woman was well established.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I threw the game away in disappointment.

All jokes aside, I never beat it when I was a kid so I guess I found out later on through a magazine. I didn't have any reactions.

But that being said, I beat Metroid recently for the first time with no guides or cheats. Amazing game!

Savitar

When I was a young little boy and played the game but never beaten it I had found out the truth and you know what? There was nothing. Man, woman. What difference did it make to me? The character I controlled was able to explore and destroy creatures, that's what made me happy. Gender played no importance to me.

kunonabi

I honestly don't know what my reaction was. It was one of those things you just knew.

I always liked female protagonists, characters, writers, etc. growing up so I don't imagine I really would have had a reaction one way or the other.

Phediuk

I don't remember having any kind of reaction to it at all.

Must everything be embellished into an "OMG MIND BLOOOOOWN" moment?

Jobbs

Banned
I heard it as a rumor -- literally on the playground. I was probably 6 or 7. I remember someone saying that the character is a girl, and if you beat the game (beating games wasn't a foregone conclusion in those days) you could see her take the helmet off.

I was like "nuh-uh!"

The game had already been out a while at that point, but the internet was very primitive and saturation of information about every secret and every game ending just wasn't a thing. Rumors about things you could do or find in games were a thing. Gaming magazines actually had useful information. It was a different time.

I don't know why but I kinda assumed so anyway. I think the first time I found out was when Samus' face is reflected on the inside of her visor with flashes of light.
It didn't surprise or shock me in any way at all, really. I grew up in a fairly progressive household and had a variety of female idols whilst growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom