• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
And now this thread is just a big worshipping circle around Trev and his flaccid source.

God, the Nintendo fanbase really needs a CBOAT right about now, it's getting silly.

Neoxon

Xbox problems was having to be online at least once every 24 hours, not being able to buy used games or share them. The NX would just need a connection to download a game once and then could be played offline.
Which still wouldn't end well, since you would still be required to have an internet connection to get games.

atbigelow

No NFC are pretty small for now, still measured in KB I think? The chip needs to be pretty simple due to it solely being powered by radio waves, which I'm guessing means it can't transmit data at super fast speeds.

I did some of my own patent trawling a while back and found something about nfc & games, not sure I can find it again.

Unpowered NFC tags are even smaller than that. We're talking about 48 to 800 bytes.

The NFC protocol is super low bandwidth. When it comes to data storage in things like amiibo and tags, it's better to be used as a "link to the data" rather than the data itself.

Ogodei

And now this thread is just a big worshipping circle around Trev and his flaccid source.

God, the Nintendo fanbase really needs a CBOAT right about now, it's getting silly.

It helps the nature of the debate. Now there's going to be much less question of whether anything is getting pushed to 2017 (although it's still possible, now we'll know it's their intention to move on that sooner.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Xbox problems was having to be online at least once every 24 hours, not being able to buy used games or share them. The NX would just need a connection to download a game once and then could be played offline.

Dude, I live in the United States of America where most of the nation has Third World Internet quality. It would take me probably 12 hours to download a 25 GB game — and heaven help me if there are patches or day one DLC..

Also, data caps are a thing for a lot of people, which would limit how much players spend on Nintendo games each month or cause them to skip the NX entirely.

I'm sure the NX will use SD-like cards similar to what the 3DS uses.

L Thammy

If Trev starts typing out his info like a twelve-year-old on Twitter, would that help?

Just did the research. Amiibo uses 8kb of data which is wactuslly the highest and most expensive, since the standard is 4kb or less. It costs around $2 for 4kb NFC tags but that's way too much data to write a game code and some executable instructions to attach the code to a NNID and download the game. It's blu Ray levels of cheap with less damage possibilities, easier and faster to manufacture, and no moving parts or proprietary cartridges.

You could see future special editions where game codes are in special addition amiibo's instead of a game case coming with it.

I've considered them going full digital like this before, but other people have convinced me it's not quite time yet, that and Macronix

atbigelow

Just did the research. Amiibo uses 8kb of data which is wactuslly the highest and most expensive, since the standard is 4kb or less. It costs around $2 for 4kb NFC tags but that's way too much data to write a game code and some executable instructions to attach the code to a NNID and download the game. It's blu Ray levels of cheap with less damage possibilities, easier and faster to manufacture, and no moving parts or proprietary cartridges.

You could see future special editions where game codes are in special addition amiibo's instead of a game case coming with it.

They could definitely embed a download code into an NFC tag. So long as there is software on the other end to properly redeem it, it'd work just fine. You don't need/want an executable in the NFC data.

Of course, this being used for anything other than an oft-used gimmick would be suicidal.

But your solution would still require the NX devices to have an internet connection, which wouldn't end well for Nintendo (see the Xbox One before its launch).

The problem with Xbox One's perception was that it needed to have an active Internet connection during use to validate game licenses. This was seen as the draconian DRM scheme that it was.

We don't know how a hypothetical mainstream game console that can't accept physical media would be accepted because one hasn't existed yet. Even then, I can't imagine it wouldn't simply be a (cheaper) SKU option instead of the only available configuration.

Nintendo World Report's calling Trevelyan9999 out

A recent alleged “leak” on the NeoGAF message board has purported to basically run the entire Wii U and 3DS lineup for 2016, as well as estimated marketing budgets for the Wii U and 3DS. The source has claimed several games with wacky codenames – who’s down for “Cadillac” this summer? - that could be referring to just about anything. As near as we can figure, all of these rumors are largely bunk.

We’ve reached out to sources familiar with the matter, who indicated that the claimed source from “Nintendo of America Marketing” would actually be from a very small department, as most of the marketing legwork is handled by outside firms such as Golin-Harris. The source seems questionable given that Nintendo of America would have a small pool of targets for investigation, and the total marketing budget would never go down to their level. That’s information that stops at the Bill Trinen level, if not higher.
[snip]
We asked a source with knowledge of the matter for their thoughts on the post, and they didn’t mince words: ”With the increasing rumors and 'leaks' that appear every year in the leadup to the first major announcements of the year, fans and gamers should keep a discerning eye. Unfortunately, the recent rumor featuring a Nintendo 3DS hardware price cut six months in the future, and the release of PokemonPokémon Rainbow, are completely unfounded and should be taken with as much salt as possible.”

More here: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/41982/leak-debunker-february-2016-edition

Banned
The problem with Xbox One's perception was that it needed to have an active Internet connection during use to validate game licenses. This was seen as the draconian DRM scheme that it was.

We don't know how a hypothetical mainstream game console that can't accept physical media would be accepted because one hasn't existed yet. Even then, I can't imagine it wouldn't simply be a (cheaper) SKU option instead of the only available configuration.
We had the PSP Go. It flopped....hard.
They could definitely embed a download code into an NFC tag. So long as there is software on the other end to properly redeem it, it'd work just fine. You don't need/want an executable in the NFC data.

Of course, this being used for anything other than an oft-used gimmick would be suicidal.
I meant the executable being in the OS but the NFC tag would have to direct to it.

Maybe NFC game cards will be an option instead of the only way to own and play physical media.

Neoxon

That's the part that I worry will be torn apart by the fans. If it's just another SKU option that can be purchased for cheaper, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But even then, I'm not sure if the savings would be as much for the NX devices themselves compared to going with cartridges similar to those used by the 3DS.

NateDrake

None of which is untrue. Golin-Harris is NoA's prime PR handler as they handle review copies and such. As I've heard from others who work at PR firms, companies normally don't have a set marketing figure for the year completed this far in advance, and would normally wait for the FY to end before setting budgets for the upcoming FY - though some set budgets per quarter based on release schedule and other factors.

I'm not saying Trev's source is wrong on all accounts, but some of the information is a little suspect. NoA's marketing team is small, and it would be silly to risk your job to "leak" exact marketing budget plans with $$$ figures attached. The release lineup is another silly thing to leak as it impacts future advertising plans.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Fawk Nin

Well we will know in a few months who is right

But nothing he leaked is outlandish or something sooo big that NOA would freak out over being leaked

The least talked about part would probably cause them to freak out the most. Giving 6 month notice for a price cut can hurt sales, not that 3ds is flying off the shelves but still...

Ambitious

tamakip5ppx.png

Well we will know in a few months who is right

But nothing he leaked is outlandish or something sooo big that NOA would freak out over being leaked

Are you joking? He leaked purported detailed marketing budgets. It might be nothing that makes a message board swoon, but that's enormous sensitive and confidential information that would result in an immediate sacking and legal action in pretty much any major company.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they're just meeting in March, that's barely enough time to get some ports ready by a November launch, I would think

If they have had dev kits for a while, they easily could have been working on them the whole time.

jmizzal

The least talked about part would probably cause them to freak out the most. Giving 6 month notice for a price cut can hurt sales, not that 3ds is flying off the shelves but still...

I get that but this isnt IGN leaking this, Trev runs a small site (no offense) that nobody goes to or a lot are not gonna take seriously anyways lol.

the few people that have seen the leak are in this thread, the biggest site that ran the leak was gonintendo, and it still didnt spark a lot of comments compared to other stories.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have a feeling that nintendo will find a way to disappoint. Wii was my last nintendo system and it was a major dust collector. I haven't really enjoyed a nintendo since the gamecube. I am an original fan since the nes but nintendo has failed to evolve.

It will probably be lacking in horsepower and/or third party support as usual. Nintendo does not cater to me anymore.

If they're just meeting in March, that's barely enough time to get some ports ready by a November launch, I would think

If they need to discuss anything as far as "plans," it's co-marketing plans. There's no way a major Western third-party publisher jumps on NX without Nintendo actually giving their games the time of day like Sony and MS do.

NateDrake

Depends. They could have easily been working at a limited capacity on getting certain things running and now want to discussed potential plans to bring certain software to the platform and make marketing deals for the releases.

L Thammy

Doesn't that depend on how similar the NX architecture is to their target platform? Not really a hardware guy, but my understanding is that previous Nintendo systems have basically been designed for internal use only, making ports more difficult than they had to be.

Zalman

If EA has development kits, Ubisoft, Activision etc. probably do too. Kind of insane we still haven't had any solid leaks despite that.

I'll also add that my personal guess for the most realistic EA NX port is Titanfall 2. Relatively new IP that hasn't breathed on any console but Xbox to date.

jmizzal

Not really, like has been said before if the engine can run on NX and NX has similar architect as PS4 and Xbox one its an easy port. Its only ground up games that take time, most these games are built on PC anyways before being ported over.

They will prob have Madden, Fifa, Need for speed and maybe get Mass Effect again like wiiU

So that isn't an outright denial

It's happening

Yes, the only mistake I made was saying Niji means Rainbow when translated. It is obvious that this Pokémon game will not be called that.

Cheers for Nintendo World Report for trying though. Everything I have posted is still happening regardless of any kind of damage control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom