• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAtgS

To be fair, the Wii U has 720p (or 1080p in the case of Smash 4 & Wind Waker HD) assets. In theory, the NX Handheld would be 540p (going by the "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope" hint from one of the GAF insiders). I get that the OP decided against including posts from GAF insiders, but I recall the GAFer being reliable.

I am so banking on the handheld being 480p. At 3.5'', it'd be higher pixel density than Vita anyway.

foltzie1

I'm curious how cheap a 3DS cart can be made vs how cheap a BluRay disk can be pressed.

If the difference is small enough carts have lots of benefits.

Terrell

i don't know , nintendo being nintendo.... i can't see them going full crossbuy.
The pricing might be a problem too, how much do you sell an handeld game that runs on your TV?or a massive Zelda game that's better on the TV but you'll play on your handeld? will they charge everyone for the full package or do you sell it ala smash dlc? (solo versions or both with discount)

"Nintendo being Nintendo" is part of why they're in their current predicament and working to find a way out of it.

And handheld game pricing has stayed low because the games were cheaper to make. With the next generation of handheld, the pricing model was bound to shift regardless, so we will likely see what we've already seen from Nintendo but on a wider scale: pricing based on the scope of the game being provided.

So, speaking of access to older titles, what to do re: the 3DS library?

Wii will remain the VC outlier on handhelds for the foreseeable future, I imagine, much like the Super Scope and Zapper games were missing on Virtual Console before Nintendo finally began tinkering the code to make them workable on a non-CRT screen. And since I doubt there's any desire to stick with the standard ROM carts, backwards compatibility is likely going to be a no-show and Nintendo will lean on Virtual Console 5 years or so from now instead.

Jesb

Will Nintendo be making a big mistake without vr? A new Metroid Prime in VR would sell me on the system on its own if done well.

Neoxon

Will Nintendo be making a big mistake without vr? A new Metroid Prime in VR would sell me on the system on its own if done well.
Isn't VR expensive as hell right now? Plus it's not like either the Wii U or the 3DS can provide an optimal VR experience.

It might be best to wait for the tech to mature before jumping in to VR at the same time as everyone else, their ip will always be there to adapt if the time comes.

Hiltz

We've already heard how Nintendo feels about the state of Virtual Reality:

Reggie:

We have knowledge of the technical space, and we've been experimenting with this for a long, long time. What we believe is that, in order for this technology to move forward, you need to make it fun and you need to make it social.

Miyamoto:

The current types of virtual reality aren’t really a good fit for Nintendo’s philosophy of trying to create entertainment that people can play together in the living room.

We’re constantly looking at different technology and experimenting with different elements of it, but we’re not feeling virtual reality is currently in a place where it’s ready to be released – as a product that fits with our philosophy of fitting in the living room.

MAtgS

I'm banking on it being larger size than a 3ds screen, but maybe only widthways if they do that freeform thing.

Either way, 480p looks OKish on a 6'' gamepad screen, so it would look better on whatever size the handheld is. So I suspect that's what Nintendo settles for.

Neoxon

Either way, 480p looks OKish on a 6'' gamepad screen, so it would look better on whatever size the handheld is. So I suspect that's what Nintendo settles for.
But also consider that 540p would be easier to scale up to 1080p.

Speely

Banned
Thanks for the compilation of info, OP.

Although we of course know little that's concrete, I have an (admittedly unfounded and definitely wishful) feeling that the NX is going to be really special. Maybe it's just that Nintendo sort of needs to make something great in order to preserve their legacy combined with the fact that I cannot imagine a world without Ninty hardware. Maybe.

The unified development focus is really smart. One of Nintendo's big strengths is knowing how to nail portable gaming. Making that strength part of an overall development system could help out their console viability a lot and make some pretty great ideas possible.

Not to mention that if done correctly, that's 2x the hardware sold. Never a bad thing.

Aaaaaaalso, I love the controller patent stuff and LOVE seeing what Nintendo is going to do with hardware. For better or worse, they at least always try to innovate in a way that facilitates better gaming. Number two reason they are the only console manufacturer I care about anymore (number one is Nintendo games.)

Good VR is still too expensive. ~$600 for now,maybe next gen?
I think the point of all of this is that the success of the box that plays the game becomes less relevant. So long as one of them is successful, the success of all the other boxes becomes essentially a bonus.

Nintendo knows that it's able to sell software in relatively high numbers even on an unsuccessful device on the market. So instead of being forced to count those sales as separate SKUs, they want to count them as a single SKU and the "Nintendo family of products" doesn't become some way to hide poor sales in an NPD press release, it becomes an singular platform much in the same way "iOS devices" are.
Yep! Nintendo has so much leaning on both devices being successful until now. Wii U does poorly and it greatly affects their bottom line with less software sales so they're stuck between making a game for one platform to keep supporting it or make it for another to be as profitable as possible.
The NX console not doing well could affect the chances for exclusives or AAA multiplatform ports, but they can continue to put software out for it without being negatively affected.
Probably the best aspect of the little we know so far and it's pretty exciting. Not to mention that with just one of the two you should get a ton of software.
Not sure about that considering that you'd screw over anyone without a stable internet connection.
I guess you could say the same about a lot of games that need day 1 patches. They should consider methods to alleviate these issues like being able to download these assets a day or so before launch even if you're going to buy the physical edition or allow them to download in the background while playing the base version.
And yeah, although it doesn't sound great, if you don't have online you likely don't have a high end console and the portable should be more affordable.
I do agree that it would be annoying to have to download patches for every game, though.

I think the cartridges could be fairly big if they print a ton of them. If they only need 1 cartridge for two systems they can print a lot of them and get a better price on them. The NX console exclusive games would be a weird situation, tho.

QaaQer

Great Thread OP... just want to add one more article in which Sharp's Free-Form display was demoed and Nintendo is reported to be their first customer... with mass production to begin in early 2016

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-supply-free-form-lcds-nintendo/#.VpoAElMrI0p

Is there any more recent news on the sharp screens? They seem to have gone quiet about that since 2014 and there are rumours they are going to have to sell their LCD business after being bailed out by banks once already.

Banned
They say it's a new experience from the Wii U and 3DS and not a successor. They're doing the third pillar thing again. If it's not a successor to those but is still a dedicated gaming platform than what's the difference? The 3DS and Wii U are dedicated gaming platforms. Is Nintendo basically saying the new experience will be a new gimmick that isn't A tablet, second screen or motion controls?

A shared library is great if it happenes but that's not a feature or new way to play. Even a free form display is just a visual feature and not exactly a new way of playing.

Controllers with haptic feedback screens maybe?

Or they'e branding the NX as totally different from Wii U and 3DS so people don't immediately think they're abandoning support for it even though they will.

Good VR is still too expensive. ~$600 for now,maybe next gen?

Yep! Nintendo has so much leaning on both devices being successful until now. Wii U does poorly and it greatly affects their bottom line with less software sales so they're stuck between making a game for one platform to keep supporting it or make it for another to be as profitable as possible.
The NX console not doing well could affect the chances for exclusives or AAA multiplatform ports, but they can continue to put software out for it without being negatively affected.
Probably the best aspect of the little we know so far and it's pretty exciting. Not to mention that with just one of the two you should get a ton of software.

I guess you could say the same about a lot of games that need day 1 patches. They should consider methods to alleviate these issues like being able to download these assets a day or so before launch even if you're going to buy the physical edition or allow them to download in the background while playing the base version.
And yeah, although it doesn't sound great, if you don't have online you likely don't have a high end console and the portable should be more affordable.
I do agree that it would be annoying to have to download patches for every game, though.

I think the cartridges could be fairly big if they print a ton of them. If they only need 1 cartridge for two systems they can print a lot of them and get a better price on them. The NX console exclusive games would be a weird situation, tho.

Crazy idea; what if retailers allow you to download the console assets on a USB drive that can then be installed on your console when you get home? I would think stores would have good internet to make this possible for folks who don't have internet or a poor connection at home?

Or, if the handheld has a USB port, just download the assets using the handheld onto the drive when outdoors at any place with free Wi-Fi.

Crazy idea; what if retailers allow you to download the console assets on a USB drive that can then be installed on your console when you get home? I would think stores would have good internet to make this possible for folks who don't have internet or a poor connection at home?

Or, if the handheld has a USB port, just download the assets using the handheld onto the drive when outdoors at any place with free Wi-Fi.

That sounds really dumb and is never going to happen.

Champion

I feel like some games will still be exclusive to one or the other based on the devs choice.
This is pretty much guaranteed. I do not expect a mainline Pokemon title to end up on Nintendo's next console.

However I do expect Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and many of their platformers to be playable on both for obvious reasons. I just hope Nintendo implements some type of remote play or allows me to use their next handheld as a controller.

Thank you to those involved in compiling this information. It is good to have the currently available facts laid out, and distinguished from rumours, hearsay & speculation.

I don't like the sound of it. One of the problems they're trying to solve - making ports between handheld & home console easier - shouldn't even be necessary if those systems had adequate libraries to begin with. Philosophically Nintendo have brought hardware with unique special features, and created / encouraged development of software that explores those features in various ways. That's the Nintendo 'way' as I've understood it for a few generations now, like it or otherwise. This idea of unified architecture seems both philosophically out of step, and practically an elimination of one of their strongest selling points. These new systems may end up with a fair library as a result, but at the expense of making the need to own them a lot more questionable imo. It seems very 'rearguard'!

The work on user accounts makes me start to see them in the same category as Origin. Only with hardware you have to buy in order to make use of it.

Not sure about that considering that you'd screw over anyone without a stable internet connection.

Why would you live in a country like Europe without a stable internet connection in the first place?

On a more serious note, after what happend to XBone and Nintendo's track record I really cannot imagine that you'll need a stable (!) internet connection to play your games.

VR is FAR from ready.

This. VR is a huge gamble for Sony. They're the only ones taking the risk in the forseeable future and might benefit from their console exclusive position.

Thing is, depending on NX connectivity and architecture Nintendo might not be able to provide an own VR solution within the next couple of years (until NX successor arrives). The VR hype might as well be over at that point...

So maybe NX (home console derivate) will be able to work as some kind of hub to attach things like a VR headset or other innovative stuff.

Kurt

Mario 3d game and 2d game is already confirmed.

Also said that the new mario 3d and 2d will be different than from what we know today. On the other hand was also been told if we would get a sequal of mario galaxy, it would be released on the next console...

On mario changes
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/miyamoto-says-its-time-for-mario-games-to-move-in-a-new-direction
AND
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/11/0...ideas-for-next-mario-after-super-mario-maker/

On mario galaxy 3
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-hardware-technology-gets-better-and-advances

On next mario game
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/1...ill-most-likely-be-on-nintendos-next-console/

Neoxon

This is pretty much guaranteed. I do not expect a mainline Pokemon title to end up on Nintendo's next console.

However I do expect Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and many of their platformers to be playable on both for obvious reasons. I just hope Nintendo implements some type of remote play or allows me to use their next handheld as a controller.
If the two devices are part of a family of systems, I doubt that there will be any true handheld exclusives.

poodaddy

The biggest thing here for me is that new account system, I really want details man, and the fact that PC is mentioned as part of the new ecosystem makes me unreasonably excited.....I really can't wait to hear more about this. The lack of info is killing me here.

Neoxon

The biggest thing here for me is that new account system, I really want details man, and the fact that PC is mentioned as part of the new ecosystem makes me unreasonably excited.....I really can't wait to hear more about this. The lack of info is killing me here.
PC probably means stuff like the online eShop.

deleted

Nintendo is facing a few problems due to their current situation:

One of the biggest: They don't have a big retailer presence anymore.

They are countering this with amiibo, which aren't really possible to sell otherwise.
How could they further max out the usage of their remaining gaming space though?
If the shared philosophy is taken the furthest they can, Nintendo would have cartridges that work for handheld AND console version.
Since Nintendo games aren't that big anyway most of the time, both versions might fit.
But since that would cut out their margins pretty big, I could see them selling all games for a handheld price and having the console dlc that doesn't fit on the medium (better assets, local mp / console exclusive modes) be just that: dlc you pay for on the eshop. They'd max out their profits with that.

Could be unpractical, since it'd be difficult to limit your engines that way, but I like the idea.

poodaddy

PC probably means stuff like the online eShop.

I know but that's honestly fine; I'm just excited about the account system being unified and easily accessible from multiple locations, and I'm really hoping that the new system does away with the need to lock licenses for a purchased game to the hardware. I'm thinking that such will be the case, but I could be wrong.

Am i the only one that remembers this? Iwata was asked last year or 2014 about some problem of nintendo's, might have been about third party support or the wiiu selling badly and may have been at a shareholder's meeting, and he acknowledged the problem but smiled and said he had a secret plan. I remember the secret plan part vividly.

What was iwata's secret plan!?

We've already heard how Nintendo feels about the state of Virtual Reality:

Miyamoto:
The current types of virtual reality aren’t really a good fit for Nintendo’s philosophy of trying to create entertainment that people can play together in the living room.

Nintendo's focus on a game experience which is focused on "playing together in the living room" is one of its major problems. It's not that I don't appreciate playing together with my kids in the living room, but thing is, it is based on a very tradtional conception of "family" and "friends" that was dominant before Internet became a thing. Malheursement, families and friends don't spent their evenings together in front of the television anymore. Those relations have become digital as well. My oldest daughter for examples communicates with her friends all the time, but they use whatsapp and facebook to do so.

I hope Nintendo's NX will come along with a lot of to "play together" games, but with a stronger focus on online-play together.

joecanada

VR won't ever be mainstream the way Nintendo sees gaming, being a social activity that multiple people at one place can enjoy together.

VR could be very social but it's just going to be too expensive to expect 4 vr sets in one house. Imagine Mario party with all four of you facing off in the game. Or Mario tennis 2-4 players, would be unreal. Also augmented reality could also be cool like this but it's just too expensive now. Imagine you and a friend facing off in Mario tennis vs life size bowser and donkey Kong, man the sky is the limit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cartridges, depending on how you make them, don't have the kind of astronomical costs people think they do, nor are discs mere pennies to produce like they were before the Blu-Ray era.
Are they more expensive? Yes, absolutely, and I won't dispute that.

But what you propose basically makes purchasing a physical copy "worthless" in the eyes of people who value physical copies in the first place, if all its features are locked behind an internet connection. Think about all the people who groan about "day one patches" or the Xbox One's original vision for game authentication, and you'll see why Nintendo would really want this to be an internet-independent approach.

While carts aren't that expensive, and blurays aren't free - I think the costs for a cart holding assets for a portable version (4-8GB?) vs costs for a home version (25GB) would be significantly different and enough to consider an alternative approach.

Of course the home console could just have a bluray drive.

LewieP

Using a single physical media for both handheld and home console has a variety of cost related benefits outside the realm of production costs. It makes inventory management and relationships with retailers far easier. Allowing retailers to have a single "Nintendo" section full of games that play on either form factor would be favorable for all parties.

Nintendo would take a hit on production costs, but there would be significant advantages, too.

Neoxon

While carts aren't that expensive, and blurays aren't free - I think the costs for a cart holding assets for a portable version (4-8GB?) vs costs for a home version (25GB) would be significantly different and enough to consider an alternative approach.

Of course the home console could just have a bluray drive.
Which would be counter-intuitive to the whole "shared platform" thing. Again, this is assuming that they're as serious about unifying their devices as the sources in the OP imply.

Using a single physical media for both handheld and home console has a variety of cost related benefits outside the realm of production costs. It makes inventory management and relationships with retailers far easier. Allowing retailers to have a single "Nintendo" section full of games that play on either form factor would be favorable for all parties.

Nintendo would take a hit on production costs, but there would be significant advantages, too.
Exactly. Whatever extra costs come from the production side of things would be made up for in terms of software profits, inventory management, working with retailers, & more as far as a shared physical medium (cartridges in this case) goes.

On the media itself, for sure. But they'll save on the cost of the blu-ray drive, which in turn will shrink the system saving additional material costs, as well as cutting out some weight, saving on shipping too.

Of course, who knows how that all balances. But I agree with everything else you said too--there are multiple benefits to this.

AniHawk

Wholesale memory cards are dirt cheap, even into the 64GB size range, and that's when buying them through 3rd-party companies. 3DS carts suffered from still being tethered to a ROM solution for the purpose of DS backwards compatibility, but even ROM pricing has gotten cheaper since the glory days of carts. ROM suffers most from capacity limitations, so you stop using ROMs and use write-restricted NAND RAM chips, instead.

Given the volume that a company like Nintendo would need to buy and the kind of contract negotiations they can leverage, I think it's safe to say that there's not much to be concerned about price-wise in getting a write-protected NAND RAM cartridge that matches Blu-Ray capacity while also providing the added benefit of faster load times across all devices in the NX ecosystem.

Again, it will still be more expensive than a disc, but not the astronomical cost that you think it is.

this, and i have a strong feeling that nx is functionally more the successor to the 3ds than the wii u, in that it will be more popular in japan and have a lot more japanese support (where the wii u was the opposite). japanese publisher are super used to the cost of cards thanks to the vita, ds, and 3ds, and don't seem to think it's such a huge problem that they're jumping ship to xb1 and ps4.

See, if anything, I saw the SCD thing as Nintendo finding a way around the hardware cycle, much like the ecosystem approach.

You buy the first NX console. Nintendo then decides to do an updated version in 3 years to keep pace with Sony and Microsoft. But for those who want the benefits that updated hardware would bring, they can buy an SCD instead of an entirely new hardware unit.

And this is even assuming that patent makes it into the picture with the first round of NX hardware in the first place.

i can sort of get behind that. perhaps instead, nintendo has a console solution with a 'normal' controller. they will need to have a 'normal' controller anyway for multiplayer, but this console could be based on the handheld's power. this way, nintendo could theoretically have a really inexpensive console at launch that plays all the games. it's just that the console + scd or the handheld + scd would do the job a lot better.

i'm just trying to think of it from a perspective of cutting costs where you can. the more you can double up on components (having multiple things using the same parts), or simply not need other parts like new casings (for different form factors), the better. especially if your idea is already somewhat complex.

Neoxon

On the media itself, for sure. But they'll save on the cost of the blu-ray drive, which in turn will shrink the system saving additional material costs, as well as cutting out some weight, saving on shipping too.

Of course, who knows how that all balances. But I agree with everything else you said too--there are multiple benefits to this.
I almost forgot about the removal of a disc drive being beneficial for the NX Console. Granted, I've mentioned it before, but it just slipped my mind. The hardware space & manufacturing budget that'd be freed up by the lack of a disc drive in the console could be dedicated to stuff like more powerful hardware at a more competitive price.

Neoxon

So is this gonna be announced at E3?
If we're getting any NX device this year, we'll probably get a reveal of the platform itself well before E3 with a launch blow-out (games, pricing, release dates, etc.) during Nintendo's E3 Digital Event/Press Conference/whatever.

hi again!

I really think we will get some news on NX come first week in February, then more at the GDC conference.

I also would like to say that the poster that said local co-op is dead nearly is so wrong IMO! I think this is still a major reason why people still love Nintendo and I hope that even though there is multiplayer online , there will always be local co-op in Nintendo in their games as this is what made me want and my (wife) a Nintendo console in the first place! My Wife is a major gamer but totally hates Playstation now because the lack on innovation and especially local co-op missing !

NINTENDO for NX DO NOT LOSE this USP!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If we're getting any NX device this year, we'll probably get a reveal of the platform itself well before E3 with a launch blow-out (games, pricing, release dates, etc.) during Nintendo's E3 Digital Event/Press Conference/whatever.

Ok, thanks. Is there any chance of it releasing this year? I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan and I always will give them another chance.

More than ever I hope Nintendo does away with backwards compatability and believe me I have been trying to find out information pertaining to see if this is the case but we all know what the answer to that is (TIGHT NDA). However this generation of new Nintendo consoles I want to see drop the old, inject new innovation and surprise people with a Rolls Royce of a product that is head and shoulders over the competition.

Its a sad day for me today as I look at all my old and ps3 games, some I have hardly played, but because I have had my console for nearly 10 years now, I knew this day would come. Nintendo I feel different about, as I would still keep wii u if Nintendo went without BC because the games on that are ageless! They are HD already and I feel as if I have my own personal video game arcade , plus all the old wii games that I purchased while waiting for Wii U releases.

Nintendo bring forth the new NX era and take back the innovation top dog you are!

DKHF

Ok, thanks. Is there any chance of it releasing this year? I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan and I always will give them another chance.
It's been speculated that it will release this year due to a lack of Wii U/3DS software announced for the second half of the year (among other reasons) so there is a good chance it will.

virtualS

i really hope NX launches without a Bluray drive. I mean, half of the WiiU is taken up by one and we all know how much Nintendo love small power efficient consoles.

Flash memory is now at a point where it could cost effectively replace Bluray in terms of capacity and speed.

I would like the controller to double up as their next handheld. It likely will have a freeform display at 720p resolution.

All software sold should work on both devices. No more droughts.

Hopefully both will contain AMD chipsets with the NX producing visuals at least on par with PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom