• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

takriel

Well let's not forget that there's quite a lot of Nintendo developers who should have a new game ready by the end of 2016, possibly on NX. I think that EAD Tokyo and Retro are a given, and maybe there's others as well. If Zelda NX is true, then the NX could potentially have a great launch lineup.

Then again, it's Nintendo we're talking about here. We all thought they would have a good launch lineup for the Wii U, seeing how in 2012 the Wii got almost no first party content. Turns out they were really struggling with the HD transition.

AmyS

Turns out they were really struggling with the HD transition.

Yeah, hopefully Wii U served sufficiently for Nintendo's 1st party devs as a training ground for making HD games during 2011-2015.
Like how the rest of the industry had to go through that during 2005-2008 or so (the early years of 360/PS3). Would love to find out Nintendo hit the ground running with their second HD console.

Terrell

Turns out they were really struggling with the HD transition.
And trying to prop up the 3DS in a really big hurry after a less than stellar launch, lest we forget.
Which is what likely inspired the approach they've discussed taking with NX in the first place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Terrell, are NAND flash capable of being flashed quickly at the factory in large volumes? I thought typically they come blank. If they can't be flashed as quickly as ROM then that would also factor into the cost of production.

Well let's not forget that there's quite a lot of Nintendo developers who should have a new game ready by the end of 2016, possibly on NX. I think that EAD Tokyo and Retro are a given, and maybe there's others as well. If Zelda NX is true, then the NX could potentially have a great launch lineup.

Then again, it's Nintendo we're talking about here. We all thought they would have a good launch lineup for the Wii U, seeing how in 2012 the Wii got almost no first party content. Turns out they were really struggling with the HD transition.

And also, you know, their main business tent pole of handhelds suddenly sinking into the sand.

Peterc

I can't believe that nobody knows what nx stands for. Maybe not everyone, but a few people @Nintendo should know. It will be strange if Iwata calls it NX without talken with the hardware devs or other important people @Nintendo. Also it will be even stranger if nobody ask after the name. It just sounds crazy...

Neoxon

My guess is that NX console will use discs, and NX portable will use carts. BUT, if you buy digital, the other will count as crossbuy.
Nintendo will do that to motivate people into going digital.
That just comes off as counter-intuitive in terms of a shared platform. Iwata spoke of a family of systems in his quotes. Going with a separate physical medium wouldn't exactly mesh well with that goal.

Hermii

I think a lot of people here will have to eat some crow when we finally learn what the NX is haha.

I can't believe that nobody knows what nx stands for. Maybe not everyone, but a few people @Nintendo should know. It will be strange if Iwata calls it NX without talken with the hardware devs or other important people @Nintendo. Also it will be even stranger if nobody ask after the name. It just sounds crazy...

It doesn't stand for anything probably. Its just a codename.

Neoxon

I think a lot of people here will have to eat some crow when we finally learn what the NX is haha.
I'm honestly open to whatever the NX Platform is, so I'm not sure if I'd be eating crow in this case. Though the sources shown in the OP does rule out it being a single-device hybrid, which could be the only thing that would make me eat crow.

At the very least, it's not going to be the panacea people want it to be.
A good chunk of us in this thread aren't expecting the NX Platform to magically fix all of Nintendo's problems. Sure, it could solve some of them (like their software droughts), but there are other problems that hardware alone can't fix.

Edit: Was just gonna leave it at that, but there are a couple things I'd like to address a bit later.

Everything you've argued makes a lot of sense, and I came to pretty much the same conclusion .

This "NFC-figure to unlock stuff" shit is an absolutely awful idea, as is dual SKUs for all games.

Nobody said "NFC-figure". I also believe I mentioned that they should allow for a Gamecard slot in the console or controller, which would prevent the need for more than one box on shelves. My skepticism specifically centers around a 32GB-64GB NAND-based distribution method.

Rodin

Guys, can we keep the discussion about what we know with sources instead of launching in wild speculations? Not to say it's not interesting, but we discussed all these things several times and we all know each other's point of view now. Let's keep modbot out of this thread please.

Neoxon

Guys, can we keep the discussion about what we know with sources instead of launching in wild speculations? Not to say it's not interesting, but we discussed all these things several times and we all know each other's point of view now. Let's keep modbot out of this thread please.
Good call, we were beginning to slip for a moment.

Meohsix

Nintendo's next system. NX, NeXt.

KingJ2002 found Topic 19, thefro found Topic 20 and 21, and finally Fourth Storm found Topic 22! Thank you all! :)

19. The Japan Times reported that Sharp is underway with free-form screens and Nintendo is its first customer, and it's set to be manufactured in 2016. One source says Nintendo is looking to make a hole in the center of a screen with it. (Source)

The Japan Times on Dec 16th said:
OSAKA – Sharp Corp. is close to providing video game maker Nintendo Co. with its advanced liquid crystal displays that can be shaped freely according to user demand, sources said Tuesday.

Unlike conventional LCDs, the Free-Form Display, which Sharp unveiled this year, has a bezel that can be bent, allowing for freedom of design.

Nintendo is expected to use the displays in its new portable game consoles to replace the Nintendo 3DS lines, or for a recently announced device to map sleep quality, which the company wants to market by March 2016, the sources said.

Nintendo will be Sharp’s first client to adopt the new LCDs.

Sharp will start mass production around early 2016 at its plant in Mie Prefecture, bringing forward its plan by about a year.

Nintendo is considering creating a hole at the center of the display, making it doughnut-shaped, one of the sources said.

20. Iwata mentions that at launch the 3DS and Wii U did not progress well and didn't acquire sufficient support from 3rd-party publishers, and also that they will offer NX through a "Nintendo-like solution". He also mentions that as the userbase grows more support will show. And he also mentions that at E3 2015 they recieved proposals for collaborations and that "various ongoing projects below the surface." (Source)

Iwata on June 26th said:
"I will not share details on NX today but with regard to the launch of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U not necessarily having progressed well and not acquiring sufficient support from software publishers, we intend to offer NX through a Nintendo-like solution. Thank you for understanding that we are making various considerations and preparations in order to avoid what happened with the previous generations.

On a different note, I believe the standard for software publishers in selecting what hardware to provide their games for is the installed base after all. The larger the installed base or the more it is believed that the installed base will largely expand, there is an aspect that more software publishers are likely to join in. On the other hand, Nintendo is collaborating with various software publishers. At E3, which was held in the U.S. and is the largest trade show in the video game industry, we received many proposals for joint initiatives. In addition, Japanese software publishers have close relationships with our licensing department on a regular basis. As for collaborations with software publishers or their games, please consider that there are various ongoing projects below the surface."

21. Iwata also mentioned that upon the NX's launch, they won't abandon the 3DS and Wii U. (Source)

Iwata on June 26th said:
"Regarding your concern about what will happen to Wii U or what will happen to Nintendo 3DS, NX is a new platform, so the installed base will have to be built up from zero. When NX is launched, there already will be a certain volume of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U hardware widely existing in the market, so from a software business perspective, it would be highly inefficient to stop releasing titles for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U right after the launch of NX. Therefore, while we are preparing NX for the future, we are discussing within our internal development teams as well as with the second-party developers we co-develop software with and also with third-party software publishers about how to continue creating software for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. So, I believe that your point of concern should not happen immediately. As for Wii U, we will continue to make efforts, as it is a priority within the company to think about how we can satisfy the consumers who purchased this system to the maximum extent possible."

22. Genyo Takeda mentions that regarding input and output technologies, Nintendo should "challenge itself with the creation of a unique user interface". (Source)

Genyo Takeda on Oct 29th said:
"I understand that, thanks to the evolution of computer technology, aiming to realize a virtualized software development environment that does not depend on specific hardware is becoming the technological norm today. Simultaneously, regarding input and output technologies, I believe that it is also in line with the current technological trend that Nintendo should challenge itself with the creation of a unique user interface."

23. Kensuke Tanabe mentioned to Eurogamer that if a new Metroid Prime would be made, it'd take three years and thus wouldn't be likely on Wii U, but instead on the NX "console". (Source) (Quick note, there are spoilers for the series in the link)

Kensuke Tanabe on June 17th said:
"If we started (a new Metroid Prime) for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console,"

24. Macronix has announced they will provide memory for the NX. (Source (will be updated when a proper translation with all info is available))

Macronix on January 28th said:
Japanese video game maker Nintendo will launch this year a new machine NX, Macronix (2337), general manager CY LU said Macronix will provide products to NX, NX and considerable expectations.

Macronix online Investor Conference held in the afternoon, legal attention, Nintendo will launch a new machine this year NX, has many years of partnership with Nintendo is still in the column NX Macronix supply chains.

CY Lu said, Macronix will be provided to the memory slots NX, NX and considerable internal expectations.

Although CY Lu would not say whether the supply NX products for the read-only memory (ROM), but, he said, looking forward to this year's performance can be a meteoric rise ROM.

FerozElMejor

Neo Member
Hero of Legend you're awesome, nice recopilation.

I will be hyped for a hybrid console, because that means buy only one console and it is going to have a lot more of games than a normal one.

E3 hype!

I can't wait for the reveal. I have no idea what a new unique concept that also unifies their console and handheld business would look like.

maxcriden

Feb 2nd, Nintendo's 3rd Quarter Financial Results: We may get the first NX information here or a reveal date or window. At the least, I would expect some interesting answers from the Investor Q&A. Nintendo still being crazy tight-lipped and not even narrowing down the timeframe for talking about NX would make it less likely it gets released in 2016.

Feb 16-18, DICE: Nintendo is a Platinum sponsor of the event and will surely be talking about the platform behind closed doors with other executives and trying to make deals. Some things may leak after this event.

Mar 14-18, GDC: We should get the details of whether Nintendo has someone presenting or having a keynote at this event by the end of February. Ideally you'd like to have at least some information public before the conference happens so that devs can get excited about the platform and start working on games publicly.

Excellent post. Thank you. Just one thing, though, based on Rösti's other thread isn't it all but confirmed that there will be no GDC public Nintendo presentation?

I know that this isn't an original idea, but maybe the "NX" refers to the concept of Nintendo having an universal series of SOCs for their machines, like the Apple A(X) chipsets.

More than ever I hope Nintendo does away with backwards compatability and believe me I have been trying to find out information pertaining to see if this is the case but we all know what the answer to that is (TIGHT NDA). However this generation of new Nintendo consoles I want to see drop the old, inject new innovation and surprise people with a Rolls Royce of a product that is head and shoulders over the competition.

Its a sad day for me today as I look at all my old and ps3 games, some I have hardly played, but because I have had my console for nearly 10 years now, I knew this day would come. Nintendo I feel different about, as I would still keep wii u if Nintendo went without BC because the games on that are ageless! They are HD already and I feel as if I have my own personal video game arcade , plus all the old wii games that I purchased while waiting for Wii U releases.

Nintendo bring forth the new NX era and take back the innovation top dog you are!

Glad you're still around. I suppose that mean that your credentials checked out. Even though you can't say much, thanks for your contribution to these threads.

maxcriden

My guess is that NX console will use discs, and NX portable will use carts. BUT, if you buy digital, the other will count as crossbuy.
Nintendo will do that to motivate people into going digital.

Terrell makes a good point about this issue above, though. Having two different Nintendo software products that are mostly cross-platform will cause endless customer confusion. Especially if the handheld and console share a similar name as I suspect they will. If you make games that are stored on separate kinds of physical media across the two platforms, that seems to partly defeat the purpose of unifying the platforms to begin with. I'm not convinced every single game will be playable on both systems, but I think most should be....

disco

Ah man, donut shaped. Gosh. I hope it's not too goofy looking... The reason the Wii was successful was because it was good, weird and slick at the same time. Likewise half of the DS's success came when they binned the silver toastie model and brought it in the patent black glasses case.

maxcriden

As Amy said below, I don't think this HD transition is a difficulty they will need to repeat. Same goes for the 3DS issues playing a part in slowed development as Terrell and Alberto said. So I'm not too concerned on those fronts. On the bright side, we know Nintendo wants to make a splash with their launch and launch window lineups. Prior to Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo had much better and typically excellent launch lineups for their systems.

Yeah, hopefully Wii U served sufficiently for Nintendo's 1st party devs as a training ground for making HD games during 2011-2015.
Like how the rest of the industry had to go through that during 2005-2008 or so (the early years of 360/PS3). Would love to find out Nintendo hit the ground running with their second HD console.

I agree with all of this and I'm hoping very much for the same.

And trying to prop up the 3DS in a really big hurry after a less than stellar launch, lest we forget.
Which is what likely inspired the approach they've discussed taking with NX in the first place.

Totally agreed. Nintendo seems knock this launch of the park if they have, as I hope and think they have, learned some crucial lessons from their past two launches.

As with Neoxon, I too will be eating some serious humble pie if it ends up being a single hybrid device. With that said, I don't thibk we can be blamed for listening to Nintendo telling us it won't be. 😅

Banned
Zelda and 3D Mario day one. Pikmin 4 in launch window. Retro's title in spring 2017. Believe! Bust that nut Nintendo! #blueballs

AdanVC

Zelda and 3D Mario day one. Pikmin 4 in launch window. Retro's title in spring 2017. Believe! Bust that nut Nintendo! #blueballs

That would be great and it could achieve nice results for the first six months of NX. 3D Mario and Zelda at launch, mixed with lot's of 3rd Party games as usual when a new Nintendo console launches (Just hoping they don't leave as fast as they did with Wii U) and it will be miles better than Wii U's launch lineup.

EDarkness

Terrell makes a good point about this issue above, though. Having two different Nintendo software products that are mostly cross-platform will cause endless customer confusion. Especially if the handheld and console share a similar name as I suspect they will. If you make games that are stored on separate kinds of physical media across the two platforms, that seems to partly defeat the purpose of unifying the platforms to begin with. I'm not convinced every single game will be playable on both systems, but I think most should be....

If all games aren't playable, that will just defeat the purpose of having a unified platforms. In my mind it has to be all or nothing.

Banned
That would be great and it could achieve nice results for the first six months of NX. 3D Mario and Zelda at launch, mixed with lot's of 3rd Party games as usual when a new Nintendo console launches (Just hoping they don't leave as fast as they did with Wii U) and it will be miles better than Wii U's launch lineup.
Choo choo!

RaidenXZ

I'm just waiting for the inevitable name to Nintendo Xtreme! And it'll have a marketing gimmick like blast processing! And if you don't buy the new Nintendo you'll never be cool! All the other systems drool! With such games as: New Super Mario Bros 3 (the game everyone wants! What's a Mario Maker?), uprezed version of Metroid Prime: Federation Force (to celebrate the anniversary of Metroid), Hyrule Warriors Complete Edition (to celebrate Zelda's anniversary), Pokemon Rumble Xtreme (Pokemon anniversary) and a random Ubisoft game no one wants or is very old! Can't wait for the Nintendo Xtreme!!!

maxcriden

I imagine Pikmkn 4 day one and Mario in the launch window is at least as likely--or both day one. I just feel like if Pikmin was almost done as of what was it, August 2015?, that we will see it by the end of this year. Though, perhaps Mario and Zelda at launch and Pikmin at the beginning of December.

I would keep your expectations very low for Western 3rd party games at launch. Eastern though, I think is more likely.

Console launch lineups are never great. That's not going to change just by wanting it to be.

That's a blanket statement that while true for recent launches isn't a universal fact nor is it true if we go back ten years and earlier. You could just as easily say console launch lineups havent always been as lackluster as some people consider them to have been in recent years.

If all games aren't playable, that will just defeat the purpose of having a unified platforms. In my mind it has to be all or nothing.

I hope they go for broke and make all games cross-platform. I'm just not totally convinced they will. Whether some or all (or none?! But that would be a huge disappointment to me I think and I think it would partly defeat the purpose.of unified architecture), it's going to depend on how easily games can be upscaled or downscaled (probably pretty easily, I hope) and if all devs (at Nintendo at least) are cool with their experiences being suited for handheld and big screen play. Plus probably a whole lot of other factors I'm not thinking of.

Datschge

With all the money Nintendo has I'm surprised they aren't pursuing their own VR solution.
You expect the company that champions local multiplayer games and had the most success with a system that made playing games a watchable exercise for everyone in the room to do a 180 and make efforts putting every single player into his own VR? The result of Nintendo's own failed VR activity (Virtual Boy) ended up as 3DS, and barely anyone buys it for the glasses free 3D.

You expect the company that champions local multiplayer games and had the most success with a system that made playing games a watchable exercise for everyone in the room to do a 180 and make efforts putting every single player into his own VR? The result of Nintendo's own failed VR activity (Virtual Boy) ended up as 3DS, and barely anyone buys it for the glasses free 3D.

Virtual Boy ended up as 3DS? Seems like a stretch.

Anyhow, VR has plenty of local mp potential. You only need to look at Nintendo's very own Luigi's Ghost Mansion on Nintendo Land to get an idea of how well VR could be implemented into local party games.

Banned
I imagine Pikmkn 4 day one and Mario in the launch window is at least as likely--or both day one. I just feel like if Pikmin was almost done as of what was it, August 2015?, that we will see it by the end of this year. Though, perhaps Mario and Zelda at launch and Pikmin at the beginning of December.

I would keep your expectations very low for Western 3rd party games at launch. Eastern though, I think is more likely.

That's a blanket statement that while true for recent launches isn't a universal fact nor is it true if we go back ten years and earlier. You could just as easily say console launch lineups havent always been as lackluster as some people consider them to have been in recent years.

I hope they go for broke and make all games cross-platform. I'm just not totally convinced they will. Whether some or all (or none?! But that would be a huge disappointment to me I think and I think it would partly defeat the purpose.of unified architecture), it's going to depend on how easily games can be upscaled or downscaled (probably pretty easily, I hope) and if all devs (at Nintendo at least) are cool with their experiences being suited for handheld and big screen play. Plus probably a whole lot of other factors I'm not thinking of.
It'll be like the GameCube where in the first few weeks we got Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball.

I believe RETRO has said in the past that each of their games take 3 years so we should at least be able to see it this year.
Could be a repeat of the Wii's reveal with us know it'll have Zelda, Metroid Prime/RETRO game, and a 3D Mario near launch and there's Pikmin 4 which is a thing, I guess.
We haven't heard a peep out of the 3D Mario team since 3D World so it's been awhile, but that's admittedly just speculation.
With all the money Nintendo has I'm surprised they aren't pursuing their own VR solution.
They're familiar with VR tech experimenting with 3D and motion controls for a long time, but for now it's too expensive for the market they usually go for (any market, probably)

I thought it was N for Nintendo and X as in cross for cross development and intersecting of the handheld and console platforms. Hence NX refers to the entire architecture. I don't remember what made me think that though so I could be wrong.

methodman

Banned
I thought it was N for Nintendo and X as in cross for cross development and intersecting of the handheld and console platforms. Hence NX refers to the entire architecture. I don't remember what made me think that though so I could be wrong.
Yeah they never announced what it meant. Kimishima actually said iwata never told him what it meant so there's no official reason it's called the NX.

I hope we hear some news soon, it's 2016 already dammit lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Not at all. Code names mean nothing most of the time, they are designed to hide a project but still be able to account for expended resources, not always to inspire people. And they aren't always acronyms.

The code names for some of projects I've worked out have been far more obscure and random than NX, and have stood for absolutely nothing the team was able to figure out. Like a producers daughters imaginary friend and things like that.

There's nothing to read into with that name id imagine.

It'll be like the GameCube where in the first few weeks we got Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball.

I seem to remember Smash being delayed more than just a few weeks after launch. I thought it was a few months after GCN launched

Mory Dunz

Are there though?
At least for the bigger/huge names. It's too early to have new installments for:
Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Int Sys just finished 2 games, and Mario Maker. That's a whole lot of selling power that just recieved entries.

Even a wild card like Pokken won't be launch too, since it's coming out in a couple of months.
And Mario Party (still a big seller) just came out in 2015, and unless it becomes a yearly franchise again it won't be at launch.

The only big names I can think of that could have a game out in 2016 are 3D Mario and Donkey Kong...and Zelda but that would likely have a Wii U version as well.

There could be remasters or stuff....which would be nice, but not as impactful as a new game obviously

Gsnap

NX should have a pretty good first year simply because of how things are lining up. Obviously there's Zelda, which many of us are assuming will release on both NX and Wii U. They've already said Pikmin 4 is almost done, so that could be there. Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D World were each 3 years apart (2007, 2010, 2013). Late 2016 will fall in line with that, so it's safe to expect a new 3D Mario game either at launch or shortly afterwards. Retro is a bit more of a toss up. Returns came out in late 2013, and Tf came out in early 2014. About 3 years. So it's possible for them to get a game out by 2017, but I could easily see their game coming out early 2018, depending on various factors. If they're making another DK game, then they've had a lot of practice at that, so I could see one of those coming out in 2017 (maybe even 2016 if they didn't run into any trouble). But if they're making something else, well then there's no telling how it'll go. And the funny thing is, according to what Nintendo and various sources have told us, a lot of these games weren't able to come out earlier because they were having difficulty with HD development. If that's true, then they actually didn't do that bad of a job, considering the release of these games lines up with previous games in the series. 4-5 years for Zelda. 3 years for Mario. 3-4 years for Retro's games. If the whole "Hd is tough" era is over, then that's another reason for these games to easily come out in the first year of NX.

And that's not even considering the handheld, or any games that would have normally been handheld only. If the shared library is actually true, then we should naturally assume a higher number of quality games in the first year than usual.

maxcriden

I seem to remember Smash being delayed more than just a few weeks after launch. I thought it was a few months after GCN launched

JP November 21, 2001
NA December 3, 2001
EU May 24, 2002
AUS May 31, 2002

Those are the release dates. EU/AUS was much later because they didn't get the GCN till then.

Are there though?
At least for the bigger/huge names. It's too early to have new installments for:
Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Int Sys just finished 2 games, and Mario Maker. That's a whole lot of selling power that just recieved entries.

First Splatoon didn't take a long time to make IIRC. I could see a sequel releasing by the end of year one of NX. As to Kirby, those don't seem to take to long to develop, especially if handheld and console are going to be unified.

Mory Dunz

JP November 21, 2001

First Splatoon didn't take a long time to make IIRC. I could see a sequel releasing by the end of year one of NX. As to Kirby, those don't seem to take to long to develop, especially if handheld and console are going to be unified.

He said launch and "end of 2016". If you want to talk launch year, then that's a whole different equation. I could see a splat2n coming out as the November '17 title sure. But again, it was about launch and making sure your platform doesn't flounder out of the gate like Wii U.

same with Kirby and similar titles, I could see them having a game out within a year or two, but not before Dec 31, 2016.

The handheld/console thing is the big wildcard since I'm still not exactly sure how it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom