• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What went wrong with Marvel vs Capcom 3 ?

You'd be surprised how messy this stuff gets legally-speaking. Marvel has rules that are very specific about how their characters are portrayed (here's an example for Spiderman)

3mPIm18.png

Now extrapolate that to over a dozen characters which have to interact with over a dozen more from a completely separate company, and can do things like have the canonical "good guys" teaming up with "bad guys" to fight more "good guys", and throw in Disney lawyers. It's obviously "surmountable" if demand is there, but the licensing is about as far from trivial as you can get.

So would Disney object if someone sufficiently up there proposed a plot under which a Spider-Man expy is doing evil stuff when being drunk and police deduces it can't be real Spider-Man since according to licensing terms he wouldn't be drunk?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's not Marvel vs Capcom 2

Kidding. The game [Ultimate] is fine. I have no idea, but maybe it is the lack of support that people are saying

MvC3 was way more fun to watch than UMvC3. I blame Vergil.
90 percent.
I wanted to be generous.
Magneto, Cable, Storm, Sentinel, Doom, and Captain Commando get the big play. Psylocke and Spiral get play because of their great assists. J-Wong played Cyclops.

That about sums it up.
whatever happened with it, it still gave us the best FGC gif :

Fchamplooksgoodenoughtoeat.gif
Goddamnit that gif is amazing
Low-tier-only MvC2 is some real fun because of that though!
Fucking truth right here
Whatever the Boon base was called at the time, they were making... attempts at fighting games. Attempts and they did well
Midway games. Best thing they ever did was Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.

You'd be surprised how messy this stuff gets legally-speaking. Marvel has rules that are very specific about how their characters are portrayed (here's an example for Spiderman)

3mPIm18.png

Now extrapolate that to over a dozen characters which have to interact with over a dozen more from a completely separate company, and can do things like have the canonical "good guys" teaming up with "bad guys" to fight more "good guys", and throw in Disney lawyers. It's obviously "surmountable" if demand is there, but the licensing is about as far from trivial as you can get.

There goes my hope for a murderous, foul mouthed, cocaine abusing, gay spider-man

JediLink

Interest fell off because it's a garbage game. They basically thought, "Hey, Marvel 2 had all this broken bullshit and everyone loved it. Let's put a bunch of broken bullshit in this game too!" and it didn't work a second time. Patching has nothing to do with it cause it's their fault for designing it like that in the first place.

Skilletor

Interest fell off because it's a garbage game. They basically thought, "Hey, Marvel 2 had all this broken bullshit and everyone loved it. Let's put a bunch of broken bullshit in this game too!" and it didn't work a second time. Patching has nothing to do with it cause it's their fault for designing it like that in the first place.

But...it didn't fall off?

lmao.

What are people talking about here?

Lol what? Those characters are not randomly low tier pics just because. They're top tier assist and you'll always see them.

Random as in they aren't as integral as Sentinel, Storm, etc. Not every team run cyclops but almost 100% run Sentinel is what I was getting at here. I also never said low tier so I don't know where you got that from.

But...it didn't fall off?

lmao.

What are people talking about here?

I am trying to understand this as well.

Marvel may have been controlling of their side of the roster, but personally I think that it turned out for the better as a result. Much more well rounded than MvC2's X-Men-fest, and with a bunch of solid obscure picks. That being said, I wouldn't trust them at all at this point with handling the roster since they've got on their movie promotion kick and the weird shunning of the properties that Sony and Fox still have the movie rights to.

Yogg

It's been such a major game in any FGC tournament for many years that we can't really consider the game unsuccessful. "When is Mahvel" doesn't exist from nowhere.

3mPIm18.png

How is this unreasonable? They're literally describing the character's traits. I mean Parker/Spidey has never done these things (aside from Miles being gay).

Producer

People are just saying some baffling stuff about mvc2 & 3 in this thread. Dont think we played and watched the same games.

Licensing issues -> Lack of support -> No balance changes or fresh content -> Tournaments that can no longer buy DLC -> Dead.

Which is why most of us are clamoring for a Capcom All-Stars game with UMvC 3 gameplay.

No need to worry about expensive licensing, etc.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The first mistake was not making Ultimate a DLC expansion in addition to a new disc release.

The second mistake was releasing Ultimate less than a year later against Skyward Sword and Call of Duty. They should have delayed it to add the 8 remaining planned characters and launch alongside Avengers.. which had no tie in game!

There was a tie-in game in development. Forgot which studio, but some footage got leaked a few years after the fact. Additionally, I believe Capcom said they basically had to get the game out either when it got released, or never. So they went with a less than ideal timing and later got kind of screwed with the contractual limitation on the amount of patches they could do. I believe they had to waste one on an exploit that allowed you to select all DLC costumes, including one they had patched out earlier because the King of Spain got mad!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thats my point entirely , MvC2 didn't have as much competition since there weren't as many Fighting games being released back then. Apart from the 3D fighters , the 2D fighting games were mainly MvC,CvS,SF3 and GG. All of which were released fairly around the same time.

Even with the collapse of MvC3 , I think MvC3 now is still just as big as MvC2 after 5-6 years.

Your point is that more games are pushing it out. I'm saying the community collapsing in on itself is what is pushing it out the door. If there was more than KaneBlueRiver and... FilipinoChamp(?) playing? I'm sure people would still be playing Marvel. But at this point the "tournament leaders" are mostly set to where people don't care anymore and don't care if the game is being played at tournaments. It's got nothing to do with new titles coming out.

Producer

Ōkami;200835604 said:
Wesker was in all matches at first EVO and they buffed him.

He got nerfed more than he got buffed. But she hulk definitely didnt deserve to get nerfed. With more time people would have figured out how weak she really was, just like with wesker in umvc3.

mreddie

Marvel got too big, back in 2011, Cap/Thor were just coming out, X-Men weren't given the finger and Disney were just getting in the deal.

Also, Capcom got broke.

Soltype

Personally, I think they simplified the game too much.Even with all the new mechanics 2 feels like a more fleshed out game.

MrMephistoX

Sad truth is they make more on Marvel Champions than they ever did with Marvel vs Capcom and its minscule development costs: I won't say never but it's extremely unlikely that MVC4 will happen.

MvC3 Made Rocket Raccoon and Deadpool popular again, and thus, we got GOTG and DP the Movie.

MvC3 was the best thing to happen to Marvel until the Disney buyout.

xHiryu

Bring it to PC, PS4 and XB1.
Patch out some of the exploits.
Buff and nerf some characters.

That's literally all it would take to make Marvel 3 popular again, a big reason as to why it isn't being played as much imo is that its stuck on the previous gen systems.

.JayZii

Banned
I liked it and played it for a few months with friends. I didn't really follow it's life after that.

Maybe some miracle will happen, and someday we'll get a MvC4 with a Disney bucks budget. Oh well.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Reminder: MvC3 was another Capcom fighting game that was promised a fully-featured story mode that disappeared without a trace.

Nose Master

Just because a handful of nutters bet $10,000 every couple of years on MvC2 doesn't mean it is or was some juggernaut. Marvel's dumb, and 3 is still pretty popular. Especially considering you can't even download DLC characters or buy it digitally anymore.

What? Miles isn't gay.

Must be a Glenn Beck fan, since his little spiel was that Michelle and Barack Obama were forcing Marvel to integrate more black characters into comics. Apparently, that meant that Miles was a gay, black, and latino boy.

Except he isn't gay and the Obamas had nothing to do with it.

Talking about to the masses?

Shit balance
No content
Vastly better fighters on offer
Dogshit matchmaking
No updates

But to the masses MvC2 wasn't popular either.

Top Bottom