• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What're "normal" or "good" CPU temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

After popping open my case to install another HD, and subsequently blowing all manners of dust away from the fans and inside the case, I think my CPU is running hotter than before... but it could be my imagination.

Processor: P4 3.0GHz HT

System: 28
Processor: 39-41 idle, 58-64 at 100%
Aux: 45

The system/aux seem to be the same if I'm remembering correctly, but again... I think the CPU is running hotter for some reason after blowing all the dust out of the fan.

The system is completely stable though... so should I even care?

Mr Gump

Banned
Your temperatures are fine. Buy a new heatsink and overclock that mother though!

And removing dust lowers the temp, not raises.... After cleaning my heatsink from dust the temperatures drop noticably. Better heat conduction to the heatsink.

Forsete

Gold Member
NohWun said:
Depends upon the CPU.

For Intel P4's, see this page:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...e=ALL&Pkgtype=ALL&btnFOS=Filter+on+selections

Find your model number, then look for "thermal spec".
Your CPU should not be hotter than that.

Thanks for the link!

Im glad I got a new heatsink, before the CPU would easily go over 66 under load, leading to the CPU fan speeding up to 4400 RPM form the normal 2000RPM, it would sound like a jet getting ready for takeoff. :D

With the new cooler Im at 44-45 Idle and 59-62 under load. I have a P4 Prescott 3.4GHz HTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom