• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a chupacabra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood

Banned
chupa0127_3.jpg

Supposed skeleton of one, though I'm not sure of the legend of what they are? Can anyone explain?

Supposed picture of one taken in 1997:

chupa0127_12.jpg

kumanoki

A chupacabra is supposedly a creature, lizard-like in appearance, from Central and South America. Apparently it likes goats.

That picture is hell of grainy to be taken in 1997.

Personally, looking at the evidence before me, I am led to believe that the skeleton is either a hoax or a nearly completely decomposed hila monster or iguana.

If you look at the teeth in the color photo, they don't match up with the teeth in the skeleton photo. Another reason to doubt the authenticity of the claim.

I searched for 'chupacabra' on Snopes, but couldn't find anything to support or debunk you photos.

Hollywood

Banned
In 1974, in the wake of a dramatic UFO flap which included cattle mutilations, strange creatures and Marian apparitions, an hour-long documentary aired on Puerto Rican television recounting highlights of the incredible events. One of the documentary's segments involved the curious story of a a group of young people who had found themselves besieged by thoroughly bizarre creatures during a visit to the rainforest.

On the night of October 20 1973, nine campers--students led by three adults--had gone to El Yunque hoping to "contact" UFOs and their occupants. They made camp high up on a mountain trail, preparing to spend a night that would turn out to be the longest in their lives.

Mr. Heriberto Ramos, the group's official leader, stated that at one point during their ascent along the trail, they met three persons heading downward. There was nothing "alien" about the trio aside from the fact that they all dressed exactly alike and with similar features. One of the group members, who had stayed behind, took a photo of both the other group members and the three mysterious walkers, but only a patch of mist appeared on the developed film where the trio stood.

At a given moment that night, thoroughly convinced that an otherwise uneventful vigil lay ahead, the campers were surrounded by five or six vaguely humanoid figures which darted about the thick vegetation with claw-like hands and elongated ears. Some of the "monsters" blocked the precipice-flanked trail that constituted the only way down from the mountain and back to the safety of their vehicles.

From a prudent distance, one of the creatures regarded Ramos intently. Upon noticing this, the latter tried walking cautiously toward the eldritch being, hoping to show that his group's intentions were amicable. Ramos stood less than ten feet away from the creature, and was able to describe it as having a triangular head, and "extraordinary" eyes. Amazingly, he managed to touch the strange being, which did not stir. Its skin felt neither cold nor rubbery. Almost simultaneously, one of the students lit a large, powerful flashlight in the direction where the contact was taking place, flooding the area with light.

The clawed creature reacted by racing away from the scene, literally tearing a path right through the dense vegetation, which led to a 100 foot drop, giving the startled Ramos reason to think he had frightened the being into jumping. To the man's amazement, it reappeared instantly at the side of its fellows, which were still blocking the downward path.

For endless hours until the sky began to lighten, the beseiged campers were surrounded by the beings, who remained in constant motion around them. Terror had led one of the students to bang himself repeatedly on the head with a flashlight, hoping to escape the situation by passing out. Seized by an inexplicable urge, another camper expressed a desire to take a walk in the woods. Fearing for his mental state, one of his companions offered to walk with him. Before they'd taken more than a dozen steps, they found what could only be described as a glimmering, polychromatic "egg" lying on the ground. While entranced by the curious flashing object, neither one felt brave enough to touch it. Later that night, they would see it in the claws of one of the nonhuman besiegers. Was it "bait" of some sort, its pulsating colors designed to mesmerize prey?

At sunrise, the campers made a mad dash for the cars they'd left parked at the bottom of the mountain. Not a trace of the alien intruders remained aside from their footprints, which were much larger than a human's and appeared to have been made by very heavy creatures, in comparison to the smaller footprints left by the humans. Their valor rekindled by the morning light, the campers made plaster-of-paris casts of the prints and photographed them. These materials were stolen by unknown parties months after the incident, including valuable infrared prints.

http://www.ufoarea.com/puerto_hell_night.html

Hollywood

Banned
I guess they all lied then? Along with the dozens of other accounts at that place. You couldn't pay me enough money to visit that place.

bjork

They're apparently discussing this on that Art Bell/that other weird guy show on the radio tonight, where they talk about UFOs and stuff.

You can stream it from places, in LA it's KFI at kfiam640.com, then the listen live option.

HAHA, you know you live in the ghetto when kids (at the time) wore shirts with the chupacabras on it. Always cracked me up when I saw someone wearing one. :lol

megateto

8bit said:
It's a Spanish lollipop with gum inside it.

Please, do tell me where they sell them. I can't find them anymore and I am eager to say this chupacabra is delicous (este chupacabra esta buenisimooooo...)

megateto

Sorry, but that is a Chupa Chups, not a chupacabra.

For those with no [Napoleon Dynamite] Spanish skills [/Napoleon Dynamite], chupa means suck, and chupacabra would mean goatsucker.

Rorschach

megateto said:
Sorry, but that is a Chupa Chups, not a chupacabra.

For those with no [Napoleon Dynamite] Spanish skills [/Napoleon Dynamite], chupa means suck, and chupacabra would mean goatsucker.
For those of you with no [Rorschach] reading skills [/Rorschach], that's already been posted.

levious said:
goat sucker

Flynn

enjoy bell woods said:
What, El Yunque? It's just a boring mountain rainforest.

My dad lives on El Yunque.

The chupacabra is really just packs of starving dogs who roam around and kill peoples goats and chickens.

Hey Simmons, whats the name of that Mexican lizard. Eats all the goats.

Uh, that would be the chupacabra, sir.

Hey, Griff, chupa-thingy, how bout that. I like it...gotta ring to it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Rorschach said:
For those of you with no [Rorschach] reading skills [/Rorschach], that's already been posted.

No, levious was just making a vicious personal attack on Lemurnator.

On the night of October 20 1973, nine campers--students led by three adults--had gone to El Yunque hoping to "contact" UFOs and their occupants...blah blah blah...

That story might be remotely believable if one or two spooky things had happened...not twenty-seven.

Krieg

I can't believe John Rhys-Davies would be in such a thing. He's usually got a lot more class than that.

(Although he DID play a silly dwarf in LOTR. Wow, how they butchered Gimli's character...)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Krieg said:
I can't believe John Rhys-Davies would be in such a thing. He's usually got a lot more class than that.

(Although he DID play a silly dwarf in LOTR. Wow, how they butchered Gimli's character...)

I disagree, if you look at his filmography he's done a host of B-movie type stuff... and don't forget one of his previous scifi channel movies.

names.jpg

text.jpg
right.jpg

Oh my god, this thread is hilarious. I remember joking around with some of my co-workers from Mexico who were in town for a project. We called our old boss the Chupacabra after a bad meeting (where we got a months worth of work dumped on us)and we cracked up for nearly two weeks every time we saw her. So every time I hear or see that word I just bust up laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom