• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best FromSoft game now?

What's the best FromSoft game now?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 164 32.0%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 178 34.7%
  • Otogi 1/2

• Lost Kingdoms 1/2

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Metal Wolf Chaos

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • An Armored Core game

• A King's Field game

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters
It's Bloodborne. The game's design is SO tight and the lore is amazing. Its the whole package from art, music, gameplay, world design, pacing, and boss battles. Its up there as one of my fave games of all time. I'm hoping Elden Ring is close.

Everything better?

Bloodborne has a Better soundtrack, better story/lore and better world/setting.
Nah, I like Darksouls lore the best of the 3...to be fair Vati didn't explain ER lore to me yet so more to come. Music yea bloodborne is goated. World/setting? ER world is arguably the best in video games to me. Bloodbornes is cool but almost too dreary...I like the elden ring has its dreary areas, but also lush beautiful areas...limegrave is so chill but caelid is as nightmarish as anywhere in bloodborne...superb variety.

Edit: I love both...bloodborne was my favorite game ever, now 2nd after elden ring.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Everything better?

Bloodborne has a better soundtrack, story/lore and world/setting.
Everything you said about Bloodborne is true, but it could also be subjective

I love Sekiro's soundtrack and atmosphere in the same degree as Bloodborne, to me I just can't pick a clear winner. They are very different style but yet matched in quality.

For example Emma the Gentle Blade boss fight is very atmospheric, the music is awesome.

The Divine Dragon is beautiful and atmospheric

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I mean I enjoyed Bloodborne but ER is a whole other level. Actual Souls games and their friend Sekiro can burn in a dumpster for all I care.

Alphagear

Everything you said about Bloodborne is true, but it could also be subjective

I love Sekiro's soundtrack and atmosphere in the same degree as Bloodborne, to me I just can't pick a clear winner. They are very different style but yet matched in quality.

For example Emma the Gentle Blade boss fight is very atmospheric, the music is awesome.

The Divine Dragon is beautiful and atmospheric

I was comparing to Elden Ring. I haven't played Sekiro fully so honestly don't know.

For me Elden Ring is overall the best game but lacks the things I mentioned present in Bloodborne.

I didn't find the soundtrack, story/lore or even the world/setting memorable.

Fools idol

Banned
They are probably the most accomplished dev studio ever at this point in terms of consistently putting out masterpiece quality games.

Each game is great for different reasons, but my personal favourite remains Dark Souls 1. I think they got the atmosphere and world just right, it was full of intrigue, mystery and unbelievably tight gameplay. While they have improved upon gameplay over the years, I still have a soft spot for it.

rofif

Banned
They are probably the most accomplished dev studio ever at this point in terms of consistently putting out masterpiece quality games.

Each game is great for different reasons, but my personal favourite remains Dark Souls 1. I think they got the atmosphere and world just right, it was full of intrigue, mystery and unbelievably tight gameplay. While they have improved upon gameplay over the years, I still have a soft spot for it.
Dark souls 1 is like re4 for me

95mellow

Demon's and Dark will forever be their best.

The boss design in Elden Ring was obnoxious to me. Impressive game, though.

Last edited:

tassletine

All are legends but Bloodborne isn't the best as it simply doesn't offer as much as any of the Souls games.
It offers a finished game, which as far as I'm concerned none of the Souls games do. Those games all feel like they were abandoned at some point.

Bloodborne is not only tight but the DLC is even better. Dark Souls in contrast tends to redeem it's self with the DLC -- Like the developers know they fucked up and are now making up for it.

Aldynes

Just posting this here, Noah just released this video :

One of the best YT channel for long essay, the guy is well known for not having good skills as player and playing on easier difficulty, this is a surprise to many that he actually went to play the Dark Souls trilogy and managed beating them.

He really liked the games and this is a great viewing for 3 reasons: the first I've already mentioned above, the second is that he's really good as a essayist and you'll probably wont find another video like this with both criteria, the third is that he got completely passionate with the games, rekindling his love for the whole medium, something he hasn't felt in a long time.

tassletine

Both Sekiro and Elden Rings toughest bosses are far, far too irritating. They feel more like passing a driving test than combat. I don't feel accomplishment at all, just relief that I passed.

Good combat titles allow you to feel the hits, here it's just lots of swords passing through bodies, will they hit? Depends. A lot of it is pot luck. So many times my sword has passed straight through a boss as the AI can't keep up.
This used to happen a little before (mainly in Sekiro) but it's clear something is broken.

It's a real shame. The ambition is here, but I think they're now trying to compete with Platinum Games or something. From simply can't code that well.

It's a superb game in a lot of ways, but I hope this is their last Souls.

--

And Miyazaki stops lying to cover his shit.

Demon Souls

+ Boletarian and Latrian levels (and their bosses) are very iconic and intricately designed.
+ Movement options and attacks are very responsive and stamina regenerates rapidly.
+ Leveling up, upgrading, infusing, and collecting feels rewarding.

- Many weapons perform poorly (recoil against environment and barely chip enemy's high armor and poise).
- Swamp of Sorrow and Ritual Path are a chore.
- Obtuse design choices like World Tendency locked areas/events, default 50% health, and upgrade system.

Dark Souls Remastered

+ Refined movement, addition of kick/other offering riposte opportunity against blocking, addition of jump attacks and more unique weapons.
+ Areas around Firelink Shrine are interconnected in interesting ways.
+ Very iconic NPC characters and bosses.

- Delay between inputs, movement, and attacking.
- Whips, fist weapons, crystal infusions, and raw infusions are bad.
- Bonfire warping, orange fog gates, many infusions, and boss weapons locked until late game.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

+ Soul vessels (change stats), bonfire ascetics (NG+ an area), incenses (lower magic requirements), dual wielding, and streamlined infusions/upgrades/trades.
+ Many areas immediately explorable, fast paths to desirable collectibles, and rings for specialized builds (like Gower's Ring of Protection for glass jaws).
+ All expanded weapon classes, magic classes, and upgrade paths are more balanced and better complement faster movement.

- Slow stamina regen, item use, and recovery animation after limited heavy attack combinations.
- Item use speed and invincibility frames of rolls and backsteps tied to adaptability stat.
- Without Bracing Knuckle Ring durability for many weapons is shockingly low and kick replacement is generic.

Dark Souls III Deluxe Edition

+ Movement is less stamina demanding and fully complements attack options which now include weapon arts and charge attacks.
+ Infusions now allow changing the strength and dexterity scaling of weapons.
+ Really neat implementations of ideas like mirror versions of Untended Graves/Firelink Shrine areas and summoning the undead Nameless King to Dragon Peak.

- Leveling up, upgrades, and infusions feel like being nickel and dimed while progression is extremely linear.
- Terrible boss battles with one hit kills that only allow chip damage during tiny windows of opportunity and absurd phases like resurrection/fusion.
- Poise limited only to heavy attacks of certain weapons and slower kicks really limits usefulness against rabid enemies.

Bloodborne Complete Edition

+ Dashing, blood vial injection, expanded weapon attacks (including amazing charge atttacks), easy gun parry, and rally (counter attack healing) are fast.
+ Chalice dungeon glyph materials/weapons/blood echoes, blood gem stacking, and caryll rune stacking make a little grinding go a long way.
+ Enemies including bosses now recoil and get stunned from player attacks giving a sense of power and believability.
+ The world's iconic story and structure are fully interconnected and its progressive descent into further chaos is witnessed firsthand.

- There are few weapon options and very little magic to choose from (but fortunately they are mostly good).
- The game doesn't require chalice dungeons but practically everything great is relegated to them and they are very repetitive.
- The game is very linear and a lot of the best collectibles are only accessible past mid game while forcibly having to pass through Hunter's Dream between every lantern warp.

Opinion

I have to give the nod to Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for its redefining of what is possible within a game of this action role playing game subgenre for replay value but the gameplay innovations in Bloodborne make it a close runner up. If Bloodborne dropped the chalice dungeons and made an effort to give easier access to goods in the main game I would have given it the edge. With that said, I have no opinion on Sekiro or Elden Ring as their settings are of no interest to me and their issues are far too glaring for me to give them a fair shake.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
What is Dark Souls II like for you?
I think it's my fav souls game but I don't look at I like re4/Dark Souls.
it is clearly of a bit lower/different quality. I just like the atmosphere, build variety and level variety.
It never could capture ground breaking revelation like ds1 did. Even Demons souls failed to do so.

Banned
I think it’s actually the highest rated after Elden Ring.

underrated was maybe the wrong word to use. I mean more like underappreciated, as in its way less talked about/mentioned and isn't talked about in the overly enthusiastic manner games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls are usually talked about.

HYDE

Banned
underrated was maybe the wrong word to use. I mean more like underappreciated, as in its way less talked about/mentioned and isn't talked about in the overly enthusiastic manner games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls are usually talked about.
For sure, I totally agree.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me it's Elden Ring, it has it all.

Then I would put Bloodborne and DS1 as close seconds, with all the others a notch below them.

I think it's my fav souls game but I don't look at I like re4/Dark Souls.
it is clearly of a bit lower/different quality. I just like the atmosphere, build variety and level variety.
It never could capture ground breaking revelation like ds1 did. Even Demons souls failed to do so.
Strange. You really talk it up a lot.

For me Dark Souls II (SoFS) is like Resident Evil: Director's Cut. It does not have the refinement of other entries but it amuses me to no end with its design and unintentionally comedic execution.

Mercador

I think Elden Ring is better. The fact that it's more approachable than the regular Souls game and on every platform will help a lot. I do hope that we get a Bloodborne remaster though.

Haggard

Banned
Imo still Bloodborne. Elden Ring is a Masterpiece, but its open world areas go a bit downhill quality/content-density wise as the game goes on. Also it`s ridiculuously easy (too easy for a From game imho) if you don`t absolutely rush it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It offers a finished game, which as far as I'm concerned none of the Souls games do. Those games all feel like they were abandoned at some point.

Bloodborne is not only tight but the DLC is even better. Dark Souls in contrast tends to redeem it's self with the DLC -- Like the developers know they fucked up and are now making up for it.
What?
Tell me who haven't played a Souls game without telling me you haven't played a Souls game.

Bloodborne (although amazing)
Is a performance nightmare and like I said already... doesn't offer close to the amount of content as any of the Souls games.

RyRy93

30 hours into Elden Ring and it's still Bloodborne, still need to play DeS and DS2 though.

Elden Ring is just so massive, the tight and unpredictable level design of prior games is sorely missed but I still think it's the best game released in the last few years.

TMLT

I still have to go with Bloodborne. Partly because i'm a total sucker for Lovecraft and partly because I feel Elden Ring is almost a bit TOO big and overwhelming for its own good.

Demon Souls. It holds a firm place for me as it led me to the series. Only game I ever imported. Then bought again when it came stateside, and now again since i got a ps5. I put Elden Ring (on PC)on hold to play the remake and the magic of it is still there. A 13 year old game still brings out a lot from me. I remember being entranced and playing something that many people (especailly xbox 360 fans, and there were tons back then) mocked as ugly and dumb. The game was nothing seen before and was amazing. It made a lot of people eat crow after it scored 9s and 10s all over the place.

I originally was going to just try it and go back to Elden Ring but nah, got to play this through. Elden Ring is amazing don't get me wrong, there is something about DeSouls art, story and atmosphere that just impresses me. Dk souls 1 had it too but it seemed muted in a way. Bloodborne was amazing too but seemed smaller and less builds/weapons.

Seikero I never played. The idea of not having different weapons and builds really turned me off. Also i was busy playing Nioh at the time which is basically a souls game that had loot and builds, that was lacking from Seikero.
Maybe if it goes on sale for $20 or less I will pick it up down the line.

Elden ring is ambitious and amazing, but I think its too fresh in everyones mind to have this question fairly. Give it a few months to a year and then answer. Probably will still win best as its massive, and people wouldn't be wrong.

Hestar69

Kings field 2 (US)
Elden ring
Dark souls 1
Bloodborne
Demons Souls

That's my top 5

I would kill for some kings field remakes or a new kings field game..

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Its sad how the community is dunking on Dark Souls 1, its a great game. (Also Sekiro)
Elden Ring hype is understandable since its still new, but so many people vote for Bloodborne, like come on, its not that one sided, lol.

Last edited:

Alex11

Its sad how the community is dunking on Dark Souls 1, its a great game. (Also Sekiro)
Elden Ring hype is understandable since its still new, but so many people vote for Bloodborne, like come on, its not that one sided, lol.
Yeah, it is sad, I think some reasons are, DS1 is older than the rest, and some infamous levels in the game, while for Sekiro I think because of the difficulty and the lack of different builds and the leveling system.

On the other hand, I see this everywhere,many like Bloodborne for the Lovecraftian theme.It`s a preference and I don`t see it as an objective way to determine if a game is good.
Yeah,the combat is very good,fast,visceral,but so is the combat in Sekiro,I dare say,even faster and more aggressive.The interconnected world, again, DS1 has it.

Don`t want to look like I don`t like Bloodborne,I`ve loved it,but some of the points that many praise it for, seem to ignore or miss them in the other games.

Fools idol

Banned
So surprised how many votes Bloodborne getting here... For me it's by far the weakest game, the world was dull and dreary with kind of half assed / lovecraft rip off lore, and the build variety was barely there at all. It's got more than Sekiro in terms of character creation but the RPG elements were just woeful at best.

Combat was still amazing for what was there but everything else I deeply disliked. Nit pick, the NPC's were entirely generic and unlikable after dark souls..

I did try to go back to it recently but the 30fps cap absolutely killed my desire in seconds, gave up after Cleric Beast.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Yeah, it is sad, I think some reasons are, DS1 is older than the rest, and some infamous levels in the game, while for Sekiro I think because of the difficulty and the lack of different builds and the leveling system.

On the other hand, I see this everywhere,many like Bloodborne for the Lovecraftian theme.It`s a preference and I don`t see it as an objective way to determine if a game is good.
Yeah,the combat is very good,fast,visceral,but so is the combat in Sekiro,I dare say,even faster and more aggressive.The interconnected world, again, DS1 has it.

Don`t want to look like I don`t like Bloodborne,I`ve loved it,but some of the points that many praise it for, seem to ignore or miss them in the other games.
Agreed, I honestly think a lot of Elden Ring voters are people who typically vote for DS1 or DS2 or DS3, but now Elden Ring hype is strong and deserved imo its an amazing game but thats probably why the many votes.
Now Bloodborne as you put it is lovecraftian gothic horror arpg which is a pretty rare setting and they nailed it, its a masterpiece so i understand the preference itself, because i consider the lore of BB the most interesting of the bunch.
However as you put it near the end, there's issues in BB that people ignore and complain about in DS and Sekiro, for example the down in quality in later levels, that is present in BB imo, because some of the later levels are just as linear as the later levels in DS and Sekiro, and they also have underwhelming bosses, it has its share of those like One Reborn for example. And we go back to another one for example the reuse of enemies, which is present in Chalice Dungeons.
So yeah its surprising to see how one sided these results usually are, its always like this mind you, before ER, DS1 and DS3 would split the votes but now ER took them. I got the plat in BB and i still want to do another playthrough, this time doing Arcane build, but im waiting for eventual PC port, because last time i went to play i was annoying by the framepacing, a thing that never bothered me, but recent years i bought new Super PC and the high frame-rates spoiled me, its hard to go back now.

CosmicComet

Everything better?

Bloodborne has a better soundtrack, story/lore and world/setting.
That's all opinion, not objective truths at all.

I would agree on soundtrack but I give Elden Ring the advantage on everything else you listed.

And that's saying a lot because Bloodborne in my opinion might have been the best game of last gen.

luffie

Bloodborne is great but Elden is is the superior incarnation of everything it stands for, far more polished etc.

I don't understand people that loves the "Law of Regression"(wink). How can you go back to older Souls game after playing Elden Ring?

Locations? From swamps, castles to mountains, this has more unique set pieces.
Movements? Jumping, nuff said.
Game too big? Please you don't have to do everything, 2 great runes and off you go, or even 1 great rune will do!
Builds? This game literally has an insane number of them.
Options? hands down more than other Souls.
Unbalanced? Just play it linearly then, Stormveil, Raya Lucaria, then straight Leyndell.

Waifus? Yeah this game hugs you and you can literally get one.

Elden Ring is like a buffet and people are complaining they do not know what to eat because a waiter didn't serve them in order.

tassletine

What?
Tell me who haven't played a Souls game without telling me you haven't played a Souls game.

Bloodborne (although amazing)
Is a performance nightmare and like I said already... doesn't offer close to the amount of content as any of the Souls games.
That first sentence doesn't make sense.

There's a popular saying "Quality not quantity". More toys to play with might be your idea of quality but it's not mine.

Probably still Demon's Souls for me. By far the best OST in the entire series, and it's not even close. Best hub location. Best bosses by far. A creative and inventive game that prioritized careful exploration and awareness. Almost feels like a survival horror game as much as an action RPG at times. Playing through it again with the remake was great, other than the OST being much worse than the original. And I honestly can't forget how repetitive every other entry gets, with the same Maiden in Black character in every game almost, and tons of copy and pasted design elements. I give credit to the first game that actually felt fresh.

I think 2nd place for me is Sekiro, despite never finishing it. It's a fantastic game. Best combat they've done.

3rd place is Bloodborne, for the setting, lore, and creative weapons. The combat is an improvement in some ways and a regression in other ways.

Everything else is probably tied for 4th place and just feels more or less like a slightly altered version of Demon's Souls. Elden Ring being open world is the biggest change in this category of games.

Last edited:
All these fake From fans not calling the masterpiece Déraciné truly was.

b930901160.jpg

My vote still goes to where it truly began to me with Demon's Souls(armored core doesn't count. I played back then but didn't know who FromSoftware was at that moment). It was the reason I bought a PS3 and it was the first imported game I bought. It was all in Japanese and I knew shit back then. I truly was playing the Dark Souls of videogames and I didn't know haha.

Top Bottom