• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best of the 4 sides for Pink Floyd's The Wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
PinkFloydWallCoverOriginalNoText.jpg

Side One
1. "In the Flesh?"
2. "The Thin Ice"
3. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 1"
4. "The Happiest Days of Our Lives"
5. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2"
6. "Mother"

Side Two
1. "Goodbye Blue Sky"
2. "Empty Spaces"
3. "Young Lust"
4. "One of My Turns"
5. "Don't Leave Me Now"
6. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 3"
7. "Goodbye Cruel World"

Side Three
1. "Hey You"
2. "Is There Anybody Out There?"
3. "Nobody Home"
4. "Vera"
5. "Bring the Boys Back Home"
6. "Comfortably Numb"

Side Four
1. "The Show Must Go On"
2. "In the Flesh"
3. "Run Like Hell"
4. "Waiting for the Worms"
5. "Stop"
6. "The Trial"
7. "Outside the Wall"

Altazor

ALL OF THEM. I can't choose, to be honest.

In terms of consistency, probably Side 1. But that doesn't reach the highs Side 3 reaches musically, or the depths of desperation by the end of Side 2 (or in the middle of Side 4 before it all unravels in The Trial).

So yeah, can't choose.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So hard cause Run Like Hell is probably my favorite song on the album, but the Trial and Outside the Wall totally kill the end of side 4.

I'll go with side 3 by the thinnest of margins.

CrankyJay

Banned
Very hard...I have absolute favorites in every one probably, 3-4-2-1

And now I want to blast this on my new stereo.

Ferrio

Banned
So hard to choose. Probably 3.... I could go without listening to another brick in the wall #2 for the rest of my life easily.

UrbanRats

They're like the acts of a movie, one part is dependant on the other.

Neverminde the fact that there is an actual movie, of course, i'm talking about the album.

I gotta go 3-2-1-4. "I got a strong urge to fly... But I got nowhere to fly to" the music that accompanies that line gives me the chills. Every time. You can feel the loneliness in his voice. It's amazing. The whole album is absolutely amazing but that's the order I would go if I HAVE to choose.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mother is a good track, but side 3. You have songs that could make a decent album alone.
Saucerfull of Secrets is an example. It's good, but it feels uninspired.

daripad

It's hard ti choose between side 1 and 3 for me. They are both amazing, with classic songs. I'll say that 4 is the worst by far.

antispin

IMO, you are not supposed to listen to any of Waters+Floyd albums one song at a time. The whole thing or nothing at all.
Animals represent!

nullset2

The Wall is a mediocre PF record, when compared to their other stuff. I've grown to dislike it over time, and I was nuts about the album before.

Side three is the only decent part, though.

Well, side 3 has Hey You, Nobody Home and Comfortably Numb. Side 4 only really has Run Like Hell (though I like In the Flesh, especially live). Side 1 has Mother and the Another Brick/Happiest Days/Another brick medley. Side 2 has Goodbye Blue Sky and Young Lust (though I love What Shall We Do? live).
So I'd say side 3. But really it has to be taken in as a single piece.
It's a somewhat divisive album for many who regard it as the moment when Waters become an egomaniac and ruined the band, etc, which I disagree with. That said probably my favourite album of theirs is Wish you Were Here with DSotM and then The Wall and Animals and Meddle.

Portman

Reading the song titles I would have to say 3 but I've never heard the entire album from beginning to end so keep that in mind. This actually reminds me that I stopped on side 2 of The Wall when I was digitizing my Dad's albums, I should get back on that.

Listening to the album, 3. In concert, 4.

(No, I didn't see Pink Floyd in full, just Waters solo a few times)

The thing about the live performances was, in "side 1" they turned Brick part 1 into a 10 minute jam session, which was enough to melt me into goo right there, and then took that goo and splashed it against the wall with Brick part 2. So I almost gave it to side 1, BUT I can't give it a win over the 4's section of the album because the whole chain of songs from In The Flesh (he shot us, the deaf dumb and blind crowd, with a tommy gun) through Run Like Hell (a song I never liked on the album but was probably my favorite part of the concert) to the very end when we got bombed by religious and corporate logo confetti just like in the movie, it was just.... too amazing for words. That part alone was the best concert I've ever been to in my life. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it was the best experience of any kind in my entire life. Meanwhile part 3, normally my favorite section, actually ended up being a bit boring. I think thats because its the part of the album that works best as more somber, introspective listening or tracks for the movie, not stuff to lose your sense of ego in. Well, except Numb that is, but that unexpectedly ended up being a low point of the concert for me.

3 > 1 >>> 4 > 2

I'm a huge fan, but I actually find this album to be overrated within their catalogue. There is a lot of stuff I don't listen to on this, and I basically picked the sides according to which had what I felt was the least amount of filler.

Side 3 wins because Hey You, Nobodies Home, and Comfortably Numb are just wonderful. Side 1 is damn close, "In the Flesh" is a helluva start to an album, Mother is dark, bordering on disturbing, but in a good way.

There is a bigger gap between 1 and 4. I love, In the Flesh 2, and Run Like Hell, but I can't get into that trial/opera stuff. Respect to Waters but it's just not my cup of tea.

Side 2...I really like Goodbye Blue Sky but the rest of this stuff is weird to me. Pretty sure that Young Lust and One of My Turns is them having a go at hard-rock, and unlike "Mother", a lot of this side feels disturbing, but in a bad way.

3 > 1 >>> 4 > 2

I'm a huge fan, but I actually find this album to be overrated within their catalogue. There is a lot of stuff I don't listen to on this, and I basically picked the sides according to which had what I felt was the least amount of filler.

Side 3 wins because Hey You, Nobodies Home, and Comfortably Numb are just wonderful. Side 1 is damn close, "In the Flesh" is a helluva start to an album, Mother is dark, bordering on disturbing, but in a good way.

There is a bigger gap between 1 and 4. I love, In the Flesh 2, and Run Like Hell, but I can't get into that trial/opera stuff. Respect to Waters but it's just not my cup of tea.

Side 2...I really like Goodbye Blue Sky but the rest of this stuff is weird to me. Pretty sure that Young Lust and One of My Turns is them having a go at hard-rock, and unlike "Mother", a lot of this side feels disturbing, but in a bad way.
In the Flesh is my favorite song off of the album and my favorite song overall, but no one ever talks about it, and it was never really played at any of their concerts besides The Wall ones.

ScrubJay

If I had to choose, side 3.

Thing is, I grew up in the CD age. Thus, CD 2 had the best of all worlds. Comfortably numb, goodbye blue sky and Another Brick in the Wall part 2, So many feels on one disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom