• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the demand for co-op or competitive multiplayer like these days?

What type of multiplayer do you prefer?

• PvE Co-op

• PvP Lone wolf/Teams

Results are only viewable after voting.

cormack12

Gold Member
I remember spending enormous amounts of time in CS and then GOW2 Horde and L4D. I remember feeling something different when you were on a shared team against AI enemies. Players seemed to play in tighter groups and be more co-operative and altruistic in their approach. And sure on teams like CS, Battlefield etc. you are on a 'team' as such but even in squads it's rare you have the same sort of focus as a unit. Raids in Destiny 2 were fun for me personally as well. I think there's just more relaxation and less anger/thrashing out in co-op play.

I believe Apex might be bridging that gap in PvP from reading round. But I still like the idea of Anthem and Division 2 more (minus the DZ) - what's you preference GAF? Can we expect to see more co-op games going forward eventually becoming the default target experience?

Fbh

For me it's.

"Story/campaign" coop (Gears of War, Resident Evil 5, Dark Souls, etc) > Competitive multiplayer (rocket league, Titanfall 2, etc) > Loot coop (Destiny, Diablo, etc) > Horde coop (Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, etc)

Last edited:

Aren117

I grew out of the single-player story-driven games (Yakuza being the exception) and really appreciate more gameplay-focused games, so multiplayer are ideal, but not just PvP matches or something. I still play some single-player games, but mostly shorter ones, like some Resident Evil lately.

So things like Destiny, Path of Exile, The Division, Gears, Souls, Monster Hunter World are really fun to me, as I can just focus on pure gameplay, sometimes chatting with some friend or listening to my favorite songs.

I also enjoy The Elder Scrolls Online, since the majority of the game can be played solo (so I can take my time reading the quests, exploring, etc), but you can see everyone else around doing their own thing, reading the guilds chatboxes and engage on raids/dungeons if I want some co-op.

ROMhack

Regarding co-op, probably low. The culture of online gaming has shifted towards e-sports competition and I think the rise in tabletop gaming is another death knell in the coffin.

Plus, you know, developers would actually have to care about making co-op experiences and probably innovate a little bit. I can't see why else Borderlands 3 wouldn't exist otherwise.

Last edited:

Griffon

Give me clean 1v1 games. Pure duel of skills and wits, no random teammates to put the blame on.

Honestly I generally dislike coop/teams. I don't like having other players affecting how I play, I want to do things my way and at my own rythm.

Last edited:
I prefer playing PvE these days.
I started with Horde mode in Gears 2 years ago. Then I moved to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, then Andromeda (barely touched the single player) and now Im playing Spacelords.
Even with fighting games now, I like playing single player more. Its less stressful and Im mainly playing for the combos and T&A anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PVE is my jam, so sad we don't have many good co-op FPS. I'm having a blast in Onward but it's pretty rudimentary in the AI and missions for now. Same reason I was sad for R6 Siege, it put the franchise back on the map but missing the all important tactical PVE component :(

Even in competitive MMORPG stuff Alterac Valley was my jam for the PVE elements and how my tanky character could still be useful in such a scenario, but really I just wanted to adventure with friends and do the dungeons and raids and such.

My hopes these days rest with Onward for VR and Deep Rock Galactic for non VR co-op goodness. I hope more and more games focus on co-op with different takes and gameplay styles.

Outward looks exactly like my dream Eurojank CRPG if it pans out and the fact you can co-op it up with a friend is going to be a pretty major bonus to that.

I think it's pretty clear, if sad, the market at large prefers PVP, with a few major exceptions, the biggest games/modes are PVP.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
Destiny 2 and most recently the Anthem beta, were the last few enjoyable PvE co-op experiences I've had.
As mentioned in prior posts, there is a lot more cooperation which, imo, leads to less hostility among players.
Its an aspect to online multiplayer that I find absent from PvP co-op.

Last edited:
Either and/or both I prefer. I would love a new army of 2 if ever possible to keep it alive but if mw4 is happening then I really want that multiplayer too. It just depends.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thank you OP for giving a to-the-point poll as opposed to others that have 20 different choices.

As for me. I prefer single player above all, but COOP can be fun.

VertigoOA

Banned
Huh? Destiny is both. Co-op, solo queue, pvp. Also why it’ll still be the best in its class. Anthem not having pvp hurts it imo.

These multiplayer games are favorites in gaming right now. Especially when pve and pvp can be blurred. It encourages playing everything and being proficient at it.

Iorv3th

I like both but prefer Co-Op because I have more friends that I can play co-op with. Some of them don't like PVP or are just bad at it.

VertigoOA

Banned
I like both but prefer Co-Op because I have more friends that I can play co-op with. Some of them don't like PVP or are just bad at it.

Although I’m not playing it after the first day or two... the squad approach to apex legends is a pretty friendly and excellent approach to coop pvp. Yea it gets super competitive of course but I do think it’s more friendly than most pvp games.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

PVE is my jam, so sad we don't have many good co-op FPS. I'm having a blast in Onward but it's pretty rudimentary in the AI and missions for now. Same reason I was sad for R6 Siege, it put the franchise back on the map but missing the all important tactical PVE component :(

Even in competitive MMORPG stuff Alterac Valley was my jam for the PVE elements and how my tanky character could still be useful in such a scenario, but really I just wanted to adventure with friends and do the dungeons and raids and such.

My hopes these days rest with Onward for VR and Deep Rock Galactic for non VR co-op goodness. I hope more and more games focus on co-op with different takes and gameplay styles.

Outward looks exactly like my dream Eurojank CRPG if it pans out and the fact you can co-op it up with a friend is going to be a pretty major bonus to that.

I think it's pretty clear, if sad, the market at large prefers PVP, with a few major exceptions, the biggest games/modes are PVP.

Have you tried TitanFall 2 Frontier Defense, Halo 5 Warzone Firefight, or Raids in Destiny/Destiny 2?

TF2FD and H5WZF are easier to get into because they have both matchmaking and difficulty options, but all three are excellent and recommended for Co-op FPS PVE experience.

Peroroncino

I completely lost intreset in competitive games due to time issues but success of games like Fortnite/Apex shows rather clearly which approach to games is more popular.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm satisfied with a co-op splitscreen games. I think its great for playing with friends and family. Other than that, I sincerelly don't care much. I used to play L4D a lot with my brothers.

Its not like a demand though. But still something I like very much.

JimiNutz

Banned
I still think PvP is king but I'm getting old and don't really have the time/reflexes for it anymore, although I still try.

I don't really enjoy the BR games at all though and am not a huge fan of COD or Battlefield either. I'm hoping that the MP in Doom Eternal is good this time!

As for PvE I never really got into the Destiny/Division/Anthem style of gameplay but did enjoy L4D, Halo Firefight and Gears Horde. I always think couch co-op is the best though, especially if it's on one screen like Alienation or something like that.

Ivellios

I like both types of multiplayer but it depends on the game.

I really like coop games like Resident Evil 5-6 and A way Out but cant stand looter based shooters like destiny and Anthem because they get pretty boring after a while.

As for multiplayer i really like Overwatch and Apex, but cant stand Fortnite or Call of Duty.

Top Bottom