• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the funniest "ban message" you've ever gotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabby

It seems like there is a really fine line between ban and noban. So much subjectivity seems to go into it. Listening to some people it looks like you can get banned for pretty much anything.
When I see a thread on something I'm passionate about (either positively or negatively) I tend to avoid it just so that I'm not misunderstood and kicked out.
It's a shame, really, but what can you do.

Converse

Banned
Funny, to me, was the next ban I got for spamming the grinch grin gif after the Red Wedding episode. Something like "and now you're going to miss E3". Not to be an ass, but I hate when E3 comes around and try to avoid this site. So it actually was doing me a minor favor at the time.

Hah, my one ban (which I still strongly disagree with, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to get into that here) was the exact same message. It was funny because I got paid to go to E3 that year, just like the year before it.

terrisus

I thought balls typically dropped by the time anyone has reached moderation age.

neilde...

BRTky.jpg

Yeah, him.

Nezumi

My only ban was a requested one because I needed to study for an exam and wanted less distraction. Every time I tried to log in I got a cheerful "Good luck with your exam" which painfully reminded me that I should be studying :D

I was banned twice.

The first one was because I made a comparison book/show in the wrong Game of Thrones thread. I edited 3 minutes later because someone told me but even with that I was banned for a month. I was a junior. The mod said something like: "usually junior bans are permanent, so spend your time here wisely"

The second one was in that thread about Nathan Drake not killing women or something like that. In short, a junior member said that GAF always find something to complain about and I quoted agreeing with that. The mod banned me for 2 weeks saying something like: "When a junior member trivializes GAF is laughable. But when a regular member does that is embarassing. Don't treat GAF as a hivemind."

Of course I was pissed back then but now it's like scars from Vietnam. It's something to show and tell the ladies you want in your bed.

Sorian

Banned
I have a lot of bans. None of the messages have ever been funny. Lame.

I'm one of those rare people who had a ban reversed though so I guess I have that going for me.

Barzul

I got banned for indirectly requesting a PM to a link for celebrity nudes. Ah well. It was only a week. I should've just used Google.

none of my ban messages were funny :(

i don't remember the first one (it was like a bit after i became a full member), but my second and most recent basically amounted to telling me to chill out for a bit because of my shitposting

being totally honest, i was getting really annoyed lately and i was actually considering requesting a ban for a couple of weeks so i could calm down

reKon

Banned
The only time I got banned was basically for saying that the graphics comparison thread that I was posting in was pointless and served no purpose than to give fanboys a hard on. I didn't exactly say it like this though, lol. Don't remember the ban message, but I was basically banned for shitposting.

Earendil

Only one I remember was, "Next time take a walk and cool off before hitting the post button," or something along those lines after I insulted someone in a thread about a jogger who kicked a dog so hard that it died because while I care more for animals than I do a majority of people, not everyone feels the same way, and I certainly let my emotions get the best of me.

I would have gladly taken a ban for something like that.

Please don't ban me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
"Requested"

I usually just request bans when I need time out from GAF. It's hard for me to tear myself away.

CO_Andy

The closest i've come is Aeana telling me she would of banned me for telling Dragona to act more feminine.

Of course she wasn't a mod back then.

PillarEN

It seems like there is a really fine line between ban and noban. So much subjectivity seems to go into it. Listening to some people it looks like you can get banned for pretty much anything.
When I see a thread on something I'm passionate about (either positively or negatively) I tend to avoid it just so that I'm not misunderstood and kicked out.
basically got this advice from my fellow K-On! GAF community members. Don't try to be funny or push a little if the topic is controversial and you will survive on GAF

Jhoan

Never banned either since I mostly lurk and only make threads if it's something I'm really passionate about, meet up threads, or merits discussion on GAF. Only post in threads that really interest me if I feel I have something to say about it.

The only one time ban I asked for was a self-imposed one from EviLore himself to focus on finals two years ago. It said "good luck on finals :)" but that was friendly. I think about taking another self-imposed banned every now and then ala Attramental to focus on life but then again, my brother always lurks on GAF. Plus I wonder who would take over the NYC GAF meet ups in my absence?

It's easy not to get banned on GAF guys. Pick your battles, stay away from minefield threads, and you'll be fine. Graveyard threads where's several grayed out names per page are always fun to lurk in during E3 or anything controversial.

DopeToast

Banned
Been banned once, sort of learned my lesson. I was basically told I had a good point but should consider not telling other Gaffers to "fuck off" while delivering said point.

Mine was exactly the same. A guy posted a thread where he had a gif of someone's face on fire, and I told him to fuck off and not do that, and got a week-long ban. And I understood their point. I should have just ignored it because they ended up locking the thread almost immediately after.

Whenever having issues with Xbox I'm usually lead to the Xbox forums. This is what I'm greeted with/reminded of:

gFg2Yu8.jpg

Ban of the century. Literally. Some mod had it out for me lol

FuuRe

I was banned once as a junior, I posted something unrelated to the OP (feminism literature) but related to the issue (feminism), my posts were deleted and in the same thread I asked what happened to my posts.

I got a 1 month ban with a message similar to this : "you totally asked for this, we usually have a zero tolerance policy with junior bans but your post history earned you a second chance, don't fuck it up"

I was posting in that thread where the guy thought his sister in law was coming on to him and I posted, "She wants that D," along with 10 other people. Logged in a while later to find something like, "This isn't 4chan, blah, blah, blah."

Hylian7

Had a fight with a former friend in the Dota thread, crossed the line and called him a "fuck" at one point, so the message was "Calling another poster a 'fuck' is not acceptable behavior". 1 month.

I deserved that one, but the former friend is still a scumbag for the shenanigans he pulled.

The first ban I had was one I still disagree with, it was only two weeks though, and it was in a thread about women being harassed in the game industry. I posted something actually on their side and it was apparently read as "dismissive", but most people disagreed with it. But whatever, what's done is done.

This isn't a NeoGAF ban message, but I still find it amazing.

I once got topic closed and marked for moderation on GameFAQs for making an off-topic post. The reason was that I asked a question about the best secondary job class for Beowulf on the Final Fantasy Tactics PS1 board and at the end of my post I casually mentioned I was playing the PSP version. I explained to the mod that I wasn't asking anything related specifically to the PSP version and that I wanted the input of the PS1 board because there were people with a lot of knowledge hanging around there, and they refused to use logic and kept repeating that it was off-topic.

So I then just make the same exact topic and left out the part where I was playing the PSP version.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Dont remember my messages, I think the one for making fun of Rihanna had her lyrics or something. It wasn't particularly clever or memorable. Some of the ban messages I've seen people share come across as unprofessional and on occasion mean spirited.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I think some people are probably downplaying the reason they were banned. Not all, but some. It would be interesting to see the actual posts everyone was banned for.

I haven't been banned here. Before I make a post, I read over it. Think about the reactions it might get, and if it's something that's really worth posting. If it's a hostile post in response to something that upset me, I'll usually just delete it. If it's something needlessly dickish, I'll delete it. If I think it's going to lead to a stupid argument, I'll delete it.

I think it makes me a pretty unremarkable poster, but being a dickhead on a video game forum is just lame as shit to me.

Mussah92

"Junior member cull"

makes me paranoid about being a junior

i dont know how to graduate from being a junior lol

PsychBat!

Banned
Apparently preemptive ban gloating is a thing that can get one banned now. The rule must have been implented right when I got banned. Odd.

I only say that because a friend of mine here got banned (for very good reason) and there was certainly ban gloating from another person and that person wasn't banned. That was long before my first ban.

bobawesome

I was banned for jokingly recommending School Days to someone. I honestly didn't think the anime was that bad.

The message itself wasn't funny but I thought the ban itself was. Er...not trying to step on any mod's shoes here, obviously. Don't ban me, mod-sama.

TomShoe

Banned
I was banned once as a junior, I posted something unrelated to the OP (feminism literature) but related to the issue (feminism), my posts were deleted and in the same thread I asked what happened to my posts.

I got a 1 month ban with a message similar to this : "you totally asked for this, we usually have a zero tolerance policy with junior bans but your post history earned you a second chance, don't fuck it up"

Uuuuuuuuuh, why call it "Zero Tolerance" if it's not Zero Tolerance? That's like a school with a zero tolerance policy on cheating allowing a star athlete back into school because of his 'track record.'

Good that you got a 2nd chance though.

Brakke

Banned
i dont know how to graduate from being a junior lol

you'll upgrade when you hit 300 posts, probably.

Uuuuuuuuuh, why call it "Zero Tolerance" if it's not Zero Tolerance? That's like a school with a zero tolerance policy on cheating allowing a star athlete back into school because of his 'track record.'

I'm revoking your analogy license. Your analogy doesn't illuminate the original case, you've just restated it exactly but you switched a word lol.

I got banned once, for a month. It hurt deep. I'm just glad it wasnt a perm. I deserved mine. The ban message made me feel bad. Wasn't funny.

It is for the best. I do still lurk those threads, but just don't post. I enjoy the retro gaming communities of this forum too much to risk posting elsewhere.

SheHateMe

Usually I read over my post before I click Submit Reply, because if I have to question whether or not a post will get me banned, I usually delete it.

If I have to question it, then it probably will get me banned.

I try not to push buttons here. I like it here.

What's the shortest ban anyone's gotten? I usually see week, month or permanent. Can someone be banned for 5 minutes if a mod wanted to?

FuuRe

Good that you got a 2nd chance though.

I can only be grateful about that episode, dunno what mid was, but thank you for your kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom