• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most petty reason you've had for skipping an otherwise interesting game?

It keeps coming back to me that I skipped The Long dark just because it didn't have a jump action.
Up until I found out about that aspect my interest kept growing. Then it shot to near zero after that for some reason.

What silly reasons has this forum had for skipping games you would otherwise have played?

Last edited:
Dark Souls games. When you have depression, looking at grey/black undead-themed shit all day just emphasizes downer feelings. I do better with arboreal, alpine, and living worlds.
Eh, I wouldn't call this petty. Seems pretty reasonable.

Ironic though, I've seen people point out that dark souls helped them out of depression.
But yeah, it's usually just bleak. Even when it's visually striking.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Eh, I wouldn't call this petty. Seems pretty reasonable.

Ironic though, I've seen people point out that dark souls helped them out of depression.
But yeah, it's usually just bleak. Even when it's visually striking.
Oh for sure. Sometimes going further into a depressing subject matter helps repel your own depression for some people. I know that a lot of classical composers would write in minor keys when they were doing better in life or when they wanted to dispell grief. The human mind is a complex thing

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
absolute shite production values in Bloodborne, could only bring myself to play for 30 minutes or so.

Shit ass enemy AI/Combat in the opening level of Demon Souls PS5 remake.

I'll be dammed if I ever play a game where enemies staring at you with a bow, waiting for you to hit them is considered god tier combat :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_poop:

brian0057

Banned
Action set pieces in Stealth games (or rather "Stealth" games, in the case of Metal Gear).
Stealth sections in action games.

Checkpoint save systems suck. It's the only reason Alien: Isolation isn't a 10/10.

YukiOnna

Because they didn't have dual audio... Then I learned to just turn the voice volume to 0 if they didn't

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
For something actually petty?
Devil May Cry... like, any of them. I just don't like the combat. Which is weird because I like Bayonetta.
I don't know why.

I love Metroidvanias but really have no interest in playing Hollow Knight because the artstyle looks really lazy/bad imo. Also I remember hearing it has some randomized elements (unless I’m getting it confused with another game), so that’s a turn off as well.

If an artstyle rubs me the wrong way I have a really hard time getting into something. The Darksiders games are another example of this. Dumb character proportions that are cartoony looking but it takes itself too seriously for it to work. Except I’ve actually played and finished Darksiders 1 and 2.

Last edited:

trikster40

Any kind of multiplayer add-on that the devs try to force you to play, especially when they tie trophies/achievements to it. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve played to 100% but have no platinum due to stupid MP grind trophies.

Tschumi

devil may cry... i hate that aesthetic - well, all of those aesthetics* - and i don't really buy in to brawlers, haven't done since Spartan Total Warrior on og xbox

nothing new
Sad Give Up GIF

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I planned to skip Mass Effect Andromeda because I loathe and got into it with SJW racist Manveer Heir on Twitter and I didn't want one cent going to a game that clown worked on. Then the reviews came out and I would have skipped it anyway.

I did eventually end up playing it when it came to game pass and it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

absolute shite production values in Bloodborne, could only bring myself to play for 30 minutes or so.

Shit ass enemy AI/Combat in the opening level of Demon Souls PS5 remake.

I'll be dammed if I ever play a game where enemies staring at you with a bow, waiting for you to hit them is considered god tier combat :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_poop:

I guess (in the case of demon souls) the difficulty comes from controlling a character that feels like a turtle in molasses eh

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I've skipped out on all the Soulsborne and Rouge-lite/like genre games cause I'm just too old to be playing games just to get my ass kicked over and over until I discover the "golden" path/build.

Souls games in particular also feel pretentious with how overly obtuse and mysterious they are. Personally, it's poor design if you need to go outside of your game to actually understand what is going on in the game.

I don't know if it's petty or not, but I've often skipped interesting games because they're only available on Steam, and I want to wait and see if they come out on Playstation eventually.

Both because I prefer to play there and keep my game library there, and because I want to have physical game copies in my collection whenever possible.

If a game is popular enough, it almost always comes out on Playstation, and if there isn't an official physical release, LRG or other companies sometimes produce them, so.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Ridiculous trophy requirements let me skip some games in the past. But I'm trying to be less of a trophy whore and avoid being this petty in the future.

skit_data

I have skipped the Witcher 3 because every person I met that played the game are convinced its the best game ever and that CDPR are the best devs ever.

Everything went a little south after CP2077 launched, so now I might finally try it when the next gen update arrives.

Grandia 2

my burned copy of it for Dreamcast would freeze up at a cutscene towards the end of the game. I spent hours trying to find a work around.

This was like 20 years ago. I was young and broke so never bought a legit copy despite having loved the game up until that point.

wonder how the game has aged. Maybe I’ll go back and finish it some day.

Refuse to buy any games on Xbox (when I get an XSX) due to GamePass.

gladly buy games on my PS5 and Switch though

not sure if that’s petty or just the way things should be on the Xbox ecosystem now but it feels wrong to buy any games on there since that seems like it’s no longer part of their strategy…so if it’s not on GamePass I will literally Pass on that Game

Last edited:
Top Bottom