• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up for the PS3 in Japan?

Zoe

kevm3 said:
I find it amazing that Sony has basically neglected Japan.

They haven't neglected Japan though. They may have neglected full-length PS3 titles, but their PSN and PSP support has been strong.

JavyOO7

DJ Crimson said:
Masterplan:

1. Buy Level 5
2. Develop RPGs
3. Profit?

I'd rather they stay independent. Professor Layton, the Soccer RPG game, and they are hard at work with DQ9. They have no need to go exclusive to one company right now...

Paracelsus said:
White Knight was supposed to be a launch title. Blame Level-5 for being slow as shit, not Sony.
I don't mind long development cycles if the game benefits from it. My beef is the lack of Japanese 1st party development within SONY.

Paracelsus

PepsimanVsJoe said:
What the fuck?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/737/737646p1.html

So White Knight clearly won't be some rushed first-generation RPG project. But Level-5 apparently had pressure to do just that, with Hino revealing that there was some talk of attempting to get the game out around the time of the PS3's launch. In order to meet the launch, Hino says, Level 5 would've had to cut the story short, which is something he didn't want to do.

Johann

It's practically an onslaught of Western titles for the PS3 in Japan. Who would imagine such a situation even a year ago?

arg2bad said:
my hunch is a lot of crow is going to be eaten TGS

To be fair, hasn't this exact same thing been said about the previous 2 TGS's?

PistolGrip said:
Arent Japanese Publishers hesitant to show games unless they are only a few months from release?

We can truly analyse this only after TGS.

Wasn't MGS4 shown for the first time at E305 and released a month before E308?

Opiate

This generation, Sony has spent a boatload of money developing Killzone 2, Resistance 1/2, MAG, Socom, and monyehatting Haze in an effort to pull the Halo fanbase away from the Xbox.

This generation, Microsoft has spent a boatload developing Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and moneyhatting Infinite Undiscovery, Trusty Bell, Star Ocean 4, and Tales of Verspersia in an attempt to pull the Final Fantasy fanbase away from the Playstation.

I'm not sure either attempt has been succesful: with the rare exception, despite the 360's massive RPG advantage, most people still don't think of the 360 as an RPG machine. Despite the Playstation's enormous wealth of shooters, the Xbox is still viewed as the Shooterbox. They're beating each other up.

travisbickle said:
I'm guessing the Japanese need something to keep coming back to? They bought MGS4, completed it, then sold it (from what I hear). Needs to be a game with replay value I think? I don't know really? What do the Japanese want? Don't say a Wii! Gran Turismo? LBP?

Basically, the PS3 needs Monster Hunter 3.

Opiate said:
This generation, Sony has spent a boatload of money developing Killzone 2, Resistance 1/2, MAG, Socom, and monyehatting Haze in an effort to pull the Halo fanbase away from the Xbox.

This generation, Microsoft has spent a boatload developing Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and moneyhatting Infinite Undiscovery, Trusty Bell, Star Ocean 4, and Tales of Verspersia in an attempt to pull the Final Fantasy fanbase away from the Playstation.

I'm not sure either attempt has been succesful: with the rare exception, despite the 360's massive RPG advantage, most people still don't think of the 360 as an RPG machine. Despite the Playstation's enormous wealth of shooters, the Xbox is still viewed as the Shooterbox. They're beating each other up.
Exactly. Very strange for people who invested on either console based on previous generational trends.

FrankT

Who knows, but it really just does not seem to click for them while the Wii pretty easily seems like the console of choice. We keep seeing these wait for comments, but it always ends up the same way in the end.

Replicant

There are too many western developed titles on PS3 and most of these are FPS. The ironic thing is that even the most niche Japan-developed PS3 title like SIREN manages to sit on Media Create top 5 ranking during its first week whereas their western titles can't even achieve this.

What Sony need in Japan is consistent stream of quality Japan-developed titles not one-off resurgence like MGS4.

Paracelsus said:
People talk. Maybe too much.

Wasn't FFXIII announced at E3 2006 and...?

and... this further proves the point that Japanese Publishers aren't hesitant to show games no matter how far they are from release.

ymmv

Banned
Opiate said:

I think Sony should have invested more in AAA Japanese games. Succesful Japanese games can also become hits in the US and Europe, while western developed games always fail on the Japanese market. They really have neglected Japan which led first to disappointing sales and then lost exclusives.

I bet it must suck for a Japanese PS3 gamer with no interest in western games because there's just about nothing interesting coming out. Western gamers are spoiled for choices. Between September and January there are so many quality titles coming out, it's ridiculous. There's now way I can afford all of those on day 1. Folks are even complaining about the overloaded release schedule. But Japanese gamers who want to play Japanese games only have almost nothing to look forward to.

Afrika
Eternal Sonata
X-Edge

That's it?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Does Sony need to be worried about the 360 lol? It's not like the 360 has outsold them for 2 months or something. It was a freaking week and we saw how badly the sales bottomed out after the launch week of BD. Sony would need to abandon releasing games in Japan for the 360 to even sniff the jockstrap of their current install base.

If we're talking about the Wii, disregard everything except Sony, sniff, and the jockstrap.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Opiate said:

Nailed it, pretty much.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - august 26

Edge expects it to do well
the primary concern here is that it’s the first SRPG on the PS3, it’s the biggest brand in Japanese SRPGs, and it’s beating a lot of its competition to market. It’ll sell out its (probably meager) print run in short order.

and there is
Valkyria Chronicle - November 11

kevm3

Sony's trying to turn into Microsoft and Microsoft is trying to turn into Sony.

Isn't it amazing that the PS3 probably has more FPSs/ThirdPSs on it than 360? Resistance2, MAG, Socom, Killzone 2, etc. If anything, PS3 has become shooterbox this time around.

Good thing the 360 hardware is unreliable and that I'm not a big fan of the controller. Otherwise, I would've probably gotten that instead. Well, Blu-Rays are nice too.

But at least PS3 has a couple of decent rpgs coming out soon: Disgaea 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
OldJadedGamer said:
and... this further proves the point that Japanese Publishers aren't hesitant to show games no matter how far they are from release.
Not all of course. Square being the biggest swinging 3rd party penis in JP, they can do these sort of things/

Jammy

Banned
painful fart said:

Edge expects it to do well

and there is

Uh... Both of those have been out in Japan for quite a while, and both performed mediocrely.

ymmv

Banned
painful fart said:
and there is

Those two titles were released months ago in Japan:

Disgae 3: January 31, 2008
Valkyria Chronicles: April 24, 2008

Opiate said:

/thread

squatingyeti said:
Does Sony need to be worried about the 360 lol? It's not like the 360 has outsold them for 2 months or something. It was a freaking week and we saw how badly the sales bottomed out after the launch week of BD. Sony would need to abandon releasing games in Japan for the 360 to even sniff the jockstrap of their current install base.

I don't care about sales. I care about games that I can actually play. I can't play sales.

Microsoft has big name third party Japanese developers churning out games for them on a steady basis. Can Sony say the same? I really wish they could, but no, they can't.

Sony should've started moneyhatting 3rd parties waaaay back, before shit like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Genji, Calling All Cars and co. came out. It's too late now. Even if the PS3 does get more games, they'd still have to get EVEN MORE because Microsoft will probably not slow down. Which means, it's already a lost battle.

I'm not that happy with the Xbox 360 lineup btw. I just can't see any hope for the PS3 unless Sony is sticking to that 10 year plan. I doubt they will, and even then, it's an uphill battle.

If the gaming media did their job we would have the answers to these questions because they could actually ask Kaz etc when they get the chance. You can only dodge the question for so long. Instead they allow Sony to repaeat '10 years'.

Opiate said:
Haze was never money hatted. It was Free Radical themselves who wanted to make it PS3 exclusive. Sony supported the game because it was an actual exclusive (unlike most games these days).

Some might not think (which I think is the reason) that the main reason SO4, ToV, AC6, etc. went to 360 was because there were no PS3 development kits out when development started. Developers had a choice between developing on PS2 or 360, and many of them wanted to go next gen. Atlus chose to stick with PS2 while Namco chose to go 360.

Also, some developers have tried bringing stuff to PS3 (like Gundam Musou, DW6, etc.) and they didn't perform well on PS3, which is why they are ported to PS2. Since most of the PS fanbase or whatever hasn't upgraded in Japan, that's why many developers don't see a reason to move development onto PS3. Also, it doesn't help that PS3 development isn't exactly cheap (360 development is cheaper, and it's believed MS did give some developers free development kits in Japan). There was an article once where Japanese developer Hudson said PS3 Development was too pricey (like for retail games): http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3353.html

That may explain why we see a decent amount of Japanese PSN games and not many Japanese retail games (I could see other developers thinking the same thing). I would not be surprised if many developers who would previously make games for SCEI/SCEJ, aren't with PS3 due to development kits being pricey (I believe, but I could be wrong, that some Japanese devs like the makers of Sky Gunner had an idea, but SCEI/SCEJ published it for them). I wouldn't be surprised if many of the smaller games you see going to 360 (such as various 2-D shooters) are because of PS3 development costs on retail games.

As for why Sony isn't developing many JRPGs themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if the performance of Rogue Galaxy has some impact on it (I believe it was Level 5's highest or 2nd highest budget game ever at the time, and their goal was to make it a DQ/FF level game, and that wasn't the case, although I like it). Arc The Lad was popular during the PS1 era and started performing worse on PS2. PoPoLoCrois was the same way I believe.

Weisheit

FtsH said:
JRPG's importance isn't dependent on your word either. :D
Just look at the numbers, they back me up.

Then look at the Wii, how many JRPG's does it have?

Then look at the 360, how's its JRPG library?

gconsole

Why do you expect Sony to do anything with their console? See PSP? They wait for years doing nothing until Monster Hunter Portable came out and raise the machine popularity among gamers.

PS3 will face the same fate. If 3rd party do nothing then i would die. If Sony really keen to make a move then you won't see many multiplatform and exclusive RPG on xbox360 like it is now.

Maybe their main work now is praying to god waiting for 3rd party game to make a hit on PS3 and that's it.

Troidal

Monster Hunter 3 on PS3 would have done great justice, but I guess they're happy with MHPG2 on PSP.

In all seriousness though, there really isn't much to look forward to in Japan. People say "wait for TGS" but it's funny, how many of last year's titles shown got a release this year? MGS4? Is that it?

Where is my White Knight Story? FFXIII(well this one was obviously not a '08 title....)? GT4? Look what's going to happen this TGS. These games will be shown again, and hopefully a release date. But within this year? Highly doubt it.

I hate to bash the system because there have been decent releases like Siren NT, but it's not a mainstream title. They need more titles to keep people excited but it's just not there. Hardcore J-RPG gamers are even more excited about the 360 more than the PS3.

There are probably a couple of JRPGs being worked on that haven't been announced yet, like how ToV was a bit of a surprise from Namco. But I think the PS3 came out at a weird time for Japanese devs, with some being split between PS2 and 360 like mentioned above, and with its lackluster sales maybe some are holding off. So Sony better have some tricks up their sleeve...

Troidal said:
Monster Hunter 3 on PS3 would have done great justice, but I guess they're happy with MHPG2 on PSP.
I really don't think Monster Hunter would have the big success on PS3 like it did on PSP. I mean, even the PS2 Monster Hunter games just didn't perform as well as they did on PSP. Phantasy Star is performing better on PSP compared to consoles. I just think it's a matter of that type of game fitting the handheld.

Where is my White Knight Story? FFXIII(well this one was obviously not a '08 title....)? GT4? Look what's going to happen this TGS. These games will be shown again, and hopefully a release date. But within this year? Highly doubt it.
WKC is like DQIX right now. Level 5 hasn't given anyone a single update about any of their games (I do believe) in quite a long time. I think you mean GT5. The main reason we are not seeing a new main GT so quick has to do with development. I remember the GT producer said something like creating a car on PS1 took a day, PS2 it took around a week or two, while creating a car on PS2 takes several months. Just you try to create the same number of cars GT4 has on PS3, that just takes a really long time to do. I remember there being a thread here where the developers were thinking of bringing GT5 to PC since it's development cost was so high.

I hate to bash the system because there have been decent releases like Siren NT, but it's not a mainstream title. They need more titles to keep people excited but it's just not there. Hardcore J-RPG gamers are even more excited about the 360 more than the PS3.
I'm not too sure about that since the Japanese most wanted chart has 5 PS3 games (two of them multi) and just one 360 game (IU) listed in the top 15. I mean it doesn't mean what's high sells well, but it might show hardcore having more of an interests on PS3.
neverknowsbest said:
There are probably a couple of JRPGs being worked on that haven't been announced yet, like how ToV was a bit of a surprise from Namco. But I think the PS3 came out at a weird time for Japanese devs, with some being split between PS2 and 360 like mentioned above, and with its lackluster sales maybe some are holding off. So Sony better have some tricks up their sleeve...
Pretty much. MS timed 360 in ways when many developers were ready to move onto new projects (and there were no PS3 development kits out). If PS3 sales were spectacular in Japan, there's no doubt many more devs would have looked into developing PS3 exclusives. But since Wii is the top selling console (I remember seeing an article about big Japanese publishers like Sega, Namco/Bandai, and Capcom moving PS3/PSP development to Wii/DS due to sales) and game sales on PS2 are still good, developers are probably considering sticking with last gen instead (those who don't really care about graphics).

Brofist

Weisheit said:
Point---------->
O<------Your head
/\

No amount of ascii art is going to make you any more right.

Wii sells to a different crowd than the typical RPG players. That doesn't mean anything though. RPGs would bring the Wii to even new heights, like it did for the the DS. To say they are irrelevant is plain wrong.

Weisheit

kpop100 said:
No amount of ascii art is going to make you any more right.

Wii sells to a different crowd than the typical RPG players. That doesn't mean anything though. RPGs would bring the Wii to even new heights, like it did for the the DS. To say they are irrelevant is plain wrong.
When did I say they're irrelevant? I just said they no longer have the pull they once did.

Brofist

Weisheit said:
When did I say they're irrelevant? I just said they no longer have the pull they once did.

My bad for some reason I thought you had used the term irrelevant.

Still I think you underestimate the genre. I can't think of another genre in which a rerelease of an old game can be almost an automatic million seller.

Call me in 10 years when Wii Sports is rereleased, I doubt anyone will give a shit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Weisheit said:

His point is that that's not true!

Weisheit

thetrin said:
His point is that that's not true!
Well, I guess we'll find out in the coming months (and years). Like I alluded to earlier the 360 has had a very decent stream of JRPG's, and, well....
Call me in 10 years when Wii Sports is rereleased, I doubt anyone will give a shit.
Don't think that's a fair comparison considering the genre. Wii Sports 2 however will likely outsell FF13.

Top Bottom