• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with the trend of basing female leads on male pro wrestlers?

Sally Tsung on the 1989 cover of Shadowrun still looks like a babe, even with the punk hair.

hugeimage.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't get the idea behind putting in female characters, only to make them look anything like females. Like the devs want to jump on the dude-bro and feminism bandwagons at the same time, not delivering on any front at the end of the day.

Have any of you guys ever actually been to a gym? There are chicks as big as Abby. It's not my thing, but they exist and aren't as uncommon as you guys act.

Since 2000, probably 20-30 different gyms and + 2000 visits . And seen maybe 1 woman with arms like that, known steroid user/body builder. Then some fat ones but they dont count as abby is big+lean

Rare to see even men looking like that(Not talking about short men, men over 180cm aka average or over

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Abby is definitely not attractive in my eyes, not ugly, just not my type but I do LOVE that she looks so strong and capable. Had she been more femininely slender which I would have preferred when ogling, here accomplishment out on the field would have been far less believable, especially when grappling with males and large infected. I personally never care what gender or race my character has, I never identity with them anyway, they don't feel like an extension or representation of me ingame. Except in fighting games where I REALLY need to like the design and theme of the character to feel motivated. Still gender, body type and race has virtually no affect but rather the overall persona and design. I for one don't mind Abby and Kassandra and more of these characters but I also don't want sexy beautiful designs to dissiperar either.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Abby is definitely not attractive in my eyes, not ugly, just not my type but I do LOVE that she looks so strong and capable. Had she been more femininely slender which I would have preferred when ogling, here accomplishment out on the field would have been far less believable, especially when grappling with males and large infected. I personally never care what gender or race my character has, I never identity with them anyway, they don't feel like an extension or representation of me ingame. Except in fighting games where I REALLY need to like the design and theme of the character to feel motivated. Still gender, body type and race has virtually no affect but rather the overall persona and design. I for one don't mind Abby and Kassandra and more of these characters but I also don't want sexy beautiful designs to dissiperar either.
I think people wouldn't mind this if there were one or two western developers that did "sexy designs", but its seems almost all western devs just stopped doing that all together and 90% western developers just do hyper realism. Meanwhile Japanese developers still do both none sexy designs and sexy designs.

But in the end its up to devs themselves how they want design their games, I can either like them or not....Thankfully Japanese games still give me beautiful designs both male and female and honestly, these days they do much better job than western devs when it comes to character designs.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Feminism is drenched in jelousy and hypocrisy.

They complain about masculinity. Yet, when they create their idea of a perfect woman, she has all the traits of a masculine man.
since I’m a straight white male and my opinion is naturally toxic and wrong I decided to ask my wife if these were male or female. She instantly answered ’male’. When I told her nope they are female she replied ‘WHAT!?‘ i had to explain what was going on as she didn’t believe me.
Ha! I asked my wife an all last night, she pretty much said the same thing :/

She doesnt get any of this weirdness either.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! I asked my wife an all last night, she pretty much said the same thing :/

She doesnt get any of this weirdness either.

You guys have got me thinking. I'm unsure about making this post, because people will probably assume that I'm lying. All I can do is promise that it's true. Believe it or don't.

I'm a happily married man. My wife's a gamer just like me. She's only really into RPGs like Mass Effect & Fallout, or walking sims, but she enjoys watching me play story driven stuff like Uncharted & Last of Us.

When she first saw Abby, her immediate reaction was "Why does she look like a man?" I swear to you all, those were her exact words. We got talking about Neil Druckman's agenda & she even went & watched the famous speech he gave about female characters. Her exact words when he said his bit about "...whether we like it or not, these are role models..." was "Hold on, why does he get to decide what are good role models for me?"

She's decided that Neil Druckman, for some reason, doesn't like women with obviously feminine features. She even has a friend who is never out the gym & loves weightlifting. This friend still has an obviously feminine body, just with bigger muscles than average for a woman. She showed me loads of pictures of her friend, in a tiny bikini, posing & showing off her body, while saying "Look! This is what a normal woman who works out looks like!" (Her friend is hot as fuck, so I wasn't complaining while I nodded my head & said "Yes dear, I see your point").

True story. I think probably most women in the real world would look as these manly female characters & wonder what it was all about.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Have any of you guys ever actually been to a gym? There are chicks as big as Abby. It's not my thing, but they exist and aren't as uncommon as you guys act.
My gf's friend literally looks like Abby. As far as we know she doesn't take steroids. She has became a terrible mother who leaves her kid home and works out all day everyday though. She is ugly as hell but she does look like that.

Paracelsus

My gf's friend literally looks like Abby. As far as we know she doesn't take steroids. She has became a terrible mother who leaves her kid home and works out all day everyday though. She is ugly as hell but she does look like that.

If she looks like Abby she does. She can train until her back breaks in half, you don't build a male's upper torso as a woman without steroids.

Last edited:
After Naughty Dog used John Cena as a model for Abby, we have Ubisoft using Brock Lesnar for the female lead in AC Valhalla.

Im7gMuQ.png

Who's next, Kane or The Undertaker?

Non-Japanese developers is your answer. Japan prefers feminine, attractive models and characters while most other regions like the West likes, you know....quite the opposite of feminine and attractive. Western design philosophy is full of jealousy and they don’t want real women to look bad next to the fictional ones, so they do it to “supposedly” make the characters feel more grounded or realistic. Wow. Are you sure that’s a female? Ya’ll guys better leave Abby alone if that’s the final design. Most of the previous females in Assassins Creed especially Cassandra imho in Odyssey were attractive, so this is kind of perplexing.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
You guys have got me thinking. I'm unsure about making this post, because people will probably assume that I'm lying. All I can do is promise that it's true. Believe it or don't.

I'm a happily married man. My wife's a gamer just like me. She's only really into RPGs like Mass Effect & Fallout, or walking sims, but she enjoys watching me play story driven stuff like Uncharted & Last of Us.

When she first saw Abby, her immediate reaction was "Why does she look like a man?" I swear to you all, those were her exact words. We got talking about Neil Druckman's agenda & she even went & watched the famous speech he gave about female characters. Her exact words when he said his bit about "...whether we like it or not, these are role models..." was "Hold on, why does he get to decide what are good role models for me?"

She's decided that Neil Druckman, for some reason, doesn't like women with obviously feminine features. She even has a friend who is never out the gym & loves weightlifting. This friend still has an obviously feminine body, just with bigger muscles than average for a woman. She showed me loads of pictures of her friend, in a tiny bikini, posing & showing off her body, while saying "Look! This is what a normal woman who works out looks like!" (Her friend is hot as fuck, so I wasn't complaining while I nodded my head & said "Yes dear, I see your point").

True story. I think probably most women in the real world would look as these manly female characters & wonder what it was all about.
giphy.gif

Imagine being an average woman who plays games. You're excited there's finally more women to play as in video games. You want to self insert or just play as a normal woman like yourself. Then you get this...
Im7gMuQ.png

and this
220919609.jpg

Lol in all serious, I think Abby’s face isn’t near as bad as everyone makes it out to be and she looks like a supermodel compared to that character in the top picture.

GreyHorace

This is what I hate about Identity politics and SJWs. They get to decide what's acceptable with regards to representation for minorities or women.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I hate about Identity politics and SJWs. They get to decide what's acceptable with regards to representation for minorities or women.

It's one of those funny ironies, isn't it. Usually it's white people who bang on about racism to the point of absurdity. Usually it's guys banging on about sexism to the point of absurdity.

It's definitely woke liberals every time though.

Lol in all serious, I think Abby’s face isn’t near as bad as everyone makes it out to be and she looks like a supermodel compared to that character in the top picture.
I think that Abby's face, if you don't consider her body, is reasonably attractive and definetly feminine. I also think that that image of the Assassin's Creed protagonist is probably very misleading, because it come from some alpha footage with some pretty rough animation work. If we go by her apparence in the Ubisoft Forward trailer, she doesn't seem to be any more masculine than Kassandra, even if the face-paint and the hair-do tend to harden her feature.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Admit it, you can't stop thinking about the friend now.

JeloSWE

I think that Abby's face, if you don't consider her body, is reasonably attractive and definetly feminine. I also think that that image of the Assassin's Creed protagonist is probably very misleading, because it come from some alpha footage with some pretty rough animation work. If we go by her apparence in the Ubisoft Forward trailer, she doesn't seem to be any more masculine than Kassandra, even if the face-paint and the hair-do tend to harden her feature.
Agreed, she looked very good in the alpha footage.

mortal

Gold Member
Honestly, this has reached obnoxious levels of obsession...

There's literally two active threads with similar topics, and nearly identical posts.

JeloSWE

I think people wouldn't mind this if there were one or two western developers that did "sexy designs", but its seems almost all western devs just stopped doing that all together and 90% western developers just do hyper realism. Meanwhile Japanese developers still do both none sexy designs and sexy designs.

But in the end its up to devs themselves how they want design their games, I can either like them or not....Thankfully Japanese games still give me beautiful designs both male and female and honestly, these days they do much better job than western devs when it comes to character designs.
I think WoW, LOL, Overwatch and Forthnight etc have hypersexy characters that are similar to Japanese devs in many ways.

Vawn

Banned
I have been going to many gyms in multiple cities in multiple countries for 10 years and have never seen a woman that even approaches Abby's roided up physique. Have...have you actually ever stepped into a gym?

As for the OP, I think it's a disturbing trend, but it makes sense if we think the extremist ideologies that the people in the far left are trying to push.

Lol, yeah I've been a few times. Pretty much been going 5 times a week my entire adult life (I'm 41).

I don't know what gyms you're going to, but I've seen several women bigger than Abby. I'm not saying, they're not on anything. I never even cared to think about it.

Abby's body is based on a real-life (female) model.

Aerith has got one of the most gorgeous faces ever created for a videogame character and this is her body.

Eh, her face is uncomfortably artificial. She gives off strong uncanny valley vibes. Tifa and Jessie are better by orders of magnitude. Madam Wu too.

we-played-cyberpunk-2077-for-four-hours-heres-what-we-think-1593086886800.jpg

f49.jpg

fa2dd94f1e4589867ea5894c6d255648.jpg

Uh yeah a TON of difference here lol. Definitely not a ton of attention whores with daddy issues lmao. Show me a cyberpunk character that looked like a twatter millennial before this game came out. I'll wait.

maxresdefault.jpg

Always wondered what happened to the girl in the concept art. Not tumblrina enough I guess.
maxresdefault.jpg

The only similarity they have is the coloured hair. Like the other poster said, very different vibe both groups give off. Comic Book Girl in your third pic belongs in the first group. She's pretty cool.

The model for the teaser I think was a Polish Playboy model. Katarzyna Danysz.

Lol, yeah I've been a few times. Pretty much been going 5 times a week my entire adult life (I'm 41).

I don't know what gyms you're going to, but I've seen several women bigger than Abby. I'm not saying, they're not on anything. I never even cared to think about it.

Abby's body is based on a real-life (female) model.

Chances are any woman with forearms like that would fail a drug test.

Rikoi

It's weird how we got so far with the realistic graphics, and now that we could design impressive characters, the game industry decides to design uglier characters than pixellated 90s ones.

Rikoi

Can someone tell me who want's to play a woman looking like a man? Is this a new fetish I missed?
No one. Even women prefer to play beautiful female characters.
Apparently to design "girl power" developers went with male bodies with male faces pretending they are women.

GymWolf

Ok we need someone who can photoshop abby and viking brock faces into this image with obi wan saying "this are not the roidz you're looking for"

3c9be8c2b404ca096741770bbf29f957.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom