• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your best or favorite recipe?

Gander

Banned
Food: Chopped Cheese

Use 80/20 ground beef
Mix in a bowl with salt and pepper
Add hot sauce and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
Add some Cayenne pepper and garlic power

Break off a piece big enough for a sub roll and cook on the griddle
Chop it up and add more black pepper as needed
Add on american cheese and slide onto Italian sub roll

Beverage: Milkshake

Use Vanilla ice cream, add some cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and a cap of vanilla extract
Blend with 2% milk
Top with whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top

Last edited:

Liljagare

I like my pastasauce, onions, carrots, selery, chop and cook 2 hours. Then I use ground moose, add thyme, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, tomato paste, skinned plum tomatoes and just a dash of soy sauce, mushrooms, sliced. Serve it with spagetti that at the end got a good nob of butter tossed into them.. :p On top I use a few dusts of parmesan.

I can literarly eat it the entire week if I make a huge batch on sunday, just use different pastas, at the end I usually make a lasagne with wild mushrooms and the last of the sauce.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ramen cup with leftover steak and depression

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I have too many favourites, but my go to is pasta alle oglio with kalamata olives, fresh parsley and fresh red chilli.

camelCase

Man, I am no cook but chopped cheese is a real fun and tasty one to make . Fuck if that pan won't get clean though lol ! Been spent about 5 minutes last time I made the stuff, I add the cheese to the pan though so such is likely the reason.

I can't really boast about my best dish, everything I cook is either very simple (eggs/beef) or just mediocre(straganof/ cheburek)

JCK75

6-8 thai dragon chilis, 2-3 of them chopped up and soaking in
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Wok on high, bit of oil, any meat sliced cooked until mostly done
chop up remainder of chilis with 4-5 cloves of garlic until finely minced and throw into oil
once the oil is flavored add chopped onions cook a few mins and add chopped bell pepper
add the meat back and dump in the sauces mentioned above
toss in a large handful of thai basil and cook until it's soft

server on rice and it's pure heaven.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Food: Chopped Cheese

Use 80/20 ground beef
Mix in a bowl with salt and pepper
Add hot sauce and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
Add some cheyenne powder and garlic power

Break off a piece big enough for a sub roll and cook on the griddle
Chop it up and add more black pepper as needed
Add on american cheese and slide onto Italian sub roll

Never had this, sounds awesome. Going to give it a try soon

Gander

Banned
You would think it's just a burger but chopping it up crisping the meat with black pepper adds something extra

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’s sad that this thread isn’t getting much love. Must be too many instant noodle eating motherfuckers around here. Up your game.

Gander

Banned
Understandable, even though I can cook, I don't do it often. Most people don't have time, even if they know how.

Japan has it so easy. They have so many convenient pickup meals, it's just not fair.

MilkyJoe

My chicken stew

6 skinned and boned chicken thighs
Diced carrot and swede.
1 onion chopped
punnet of small brown cup mushrooms, halved.
2 sticks of celery chopped
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
250ml Sauvignon Blanc
800ml Chicken stock
Pinch of sage
Pinch of roemary
Black pepper - add to taste.
tbs olive oil
Thickening granules

Brown the veg, starting with the carrot and swede
Add the garlic last
pour into an oven proof pot.

brown the chicken in the same pan, add the rosemary & sage. Once browned add to the pot.

Pour over the chicken stock and wine And cook at 180C for 1.5 hours

After 1 hour add the thickening granules, add as much or as little as you prefer

Serve with garlic bread (it's the future)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m really tempted to post some of my mind-blowing culinary delights in here, but at the same time I want to keep my secrets.

Conflicted.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pita and hummus. Females be all bout pita and hummus in my household. Sorry about 'MURICAN measurements (I have to convert your recipes, too, ya know).

Pita bread (non-gluten-free the Sultan can eat whatever glutens he wants)
2 hours. Makes 6-10 loaves, depending on how you roll them. Can be doubled.
4c White all-purpose flour
1/4c plain sugar
1 1/4c warm water (100-110*F; 37-43*C)
1 1/2 TBSP bread Yeast
1/4c olive oil
1 TBSP kosher salt

1. Pour your warm water into a measuring cup and add the yeast. Stir gently until yeast is fully dissolved.
2. Mix all ingredients except salt in a bowl. Add the salt after the flour has picked up all the moisture.
3. Knead for 5 minutes.

And when I say for 5 minutes, I mean knead it non-stop for 5 minutes. If you've made bread before and it sucked, IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T KNEAD IT LONG ENOUGH, YOU UNCULTURED-- anyway.

The dough will have a smooth, almost rubbery outer appearance and consistency.

4. Let the lump of dough rise for 1 hour (or 60 minutes in European conversion), covering the bowl with a damp towel or plastic-wrap.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 475*F (246*C) and place a metal pan or a baking stone inside to warm up.
6. While the pan or baking stone is warming, roll out your pitas. Flour your table or countertop generously. Roll them thin: I like to roll out, flip 90*, roll again, flip 45*, and get them nice and round. You can roll them out and stretch the edges a bit if you like them extra-thin and leathery (more authentic) or you can leave them a bit fatter so that they're fluffy and 'MERICAN. You will hopefully put 2-3 in the oven at a time so size them accordingly.
7. CAREFULLY place the loaves flat on the hot surface.
8. Close up the oven and watch. They puff up! If you're a true Pokemon master they'lll puff up into a ball-shape. They only take 2-4 minutes to fully cook. You'll quickly get a feel for how fluffy or browned they get. Bake accordingly.
9. Remove with a spatula or whatever and cool the loaves on a wire rack. Put the pan back into the oven (or leave it in there when you scoop them out) and keep baking the loaves, 2-3 at a time. They freeze really nicely and stay fresh in a sealed bag for about 5 days before going stale.

Hummus
Warning: to all hipster pukes and soccer-moms alike who want artichokes and roasted-red-peppers in their hummus, begone!
Overnight + 30m. Makes 5-6 cups.
1c of dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans (seriously, just put in the extra bit of effort to get the dry ones. Or, one 16oz can of chickpeas will suffice)
one bay leaf
1/2 bulb of fresh garlic (4-6 cloves)
Juice of 3 lemons
1/2c tahini (sesame seed paste; can be found in the Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern aisle)
1/2c olive oil
1/2 TBSP salt (increase or reduce to taste. You're an adult. You can salt your own food)
Paprika
Ground Cumin
1-2 TBPS cold water

1. Soak the dry chickpeas for 24 hours. Change the water once if you remember. If not, no big deal.
2. Boil the chickpeas with a large volume of water + bayleaf for 90m. Cover with the lid ajar.
3. Blend the lemon juice and the garlic with a blender. Strain through a sieve so that you have the garlic-lemon juice but no chunks.
5. Mix the tahini with the garlic-lemon juice.
6. Add the warm chickpeas, tahini-lemon-garlic juice, olive oil, salt, water, and spices (about 1/2 TBSP each, but adjust for your own taste) into a blender and blend until buttery-smooth.
7. In 1 TBSP increments, add a bit of water, olive oil, or tahini to reach the consistency you want. Remember that the warm chickpeas will cause your hummus to be much runnier when it is hot, but if you refrigerate it will get a bit "thicker".
8. Store in a large container and enjoy! If you're a fancy-pants, serve a big dollop on a dish with rich olive oil drizzled on top followed by whole cooked chickpeas, fresh parsley, and paprika.

Last edited:
My absolute favorite is Kāpostu Tīteņi, my wife makes it great while her mother makes it amazing.

It's a pretty common meal here and in Russia and when my mother in law asks what meal I want for my birthday its always this.

Its basically minced meat with spices and rice cooked and then wrapped in cabbage leaves and then soaked in a sauce and tied up with string.

titenis%20%2817%29.JPG

kapostu-titeni-48429021.jpg

My favorite snack outside of chips or something would be pīrāgi, which is also common in Eastern Europe. Basically a pastry with bacon inside

piragi-4.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My absolute favorite is Kāpostu Tīteņi, my wife makes it great while her mother makes it amazing.

It's a pretty common meal here and in Russia and when my mother in law asks what meal I want for my birthday its always this.

Its basically minced meat with spices and rice cooked and then wrapped in cabbage leaves and then soaked in a sauce and tied up with string.

titenis%20%2817%29.JPG

kapostu-titeni-48429021.jpg
Reminds me of Polish 'Golabkis' which my wife and I will make on occasion. Very tasty!

Blue cheese stuffed porkchops with brown butter sauce

Fillet some thick pork chops, stuff with a mixture of blue cheese, mozzarella, bacon, white pepper, and a little onion powder, and bake covered in the oven.

Brown a few tbsps of butter. Pour over finished chops. Serve with green beans with green beans.

Top Bottom